Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've just discovered MC50 12:10 - Jul 15 with 1202 viewsWeWereZombies

Maybe I should have posted this on the music that makes you feel like an old guy, but it doesn't because whilst I know a bit of MC5 I know very little about Fugazi, Soundgarden, Faith No More and Zen Guerrilla.

Had no idea about Wayne Kramer's challenging times after MC5 broke up in the mid-seventies. Amazing that he looks so well and is such a charming interviewee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Kramer_(guitarist)
[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 11:36]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

I've just discovered MC50 on 08:30 - Jul 16 with 1047 viewsDJR

Along with the Velvet Underground, the Stooges and the New York Dolls, MC5 were known as a proto-punk band, and like them had an influence on the Ramones.

What I hadn't realised is how political MC5 were, and it's good to note that Wayne Kramer appears to have retained his radical roots.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 8:30]
I've just discovered MC50 on 08:45 - Jul 16 with 1023 viewsgtsb1966

Fred 'Sonic' Smith was also a great musician and I absolutely love this cover version of a Chuck Berry song.. He went on to form Sonic's Rendezvous Band . Have a listen to Electrophonic Tonic. It is superb. Enjoy.

I've just discovered MC50 on 08:52 - Jul 16 with 1002 viewsDJR

I've just discovered MC50 on 08:45 - Jul 16 by gtsb1966

Fred 'Sonic' Smith was also a great musician and I absolutely love this cover version of a Chuck Berry song.. He went on to form Sonic's Rendezvous Band . Have a listen to Electrophonic Tonic. It is superb. Enjoy.

Talk of Chuck Berry brings to mind this great song.

He certainly was a great showman, and in my view the prototype for all subsequent rock groups. He also wrote his own songs.
I've just discovered MC50 on 08:59 - Jul 16 with 984 viewsLevelTheLand

Strangely, I was talking about them yesterday evening. Saw them a few years back supporting Alice Cooper (along with The Stranglers), they sounded incredible. That'll be my Sunday afternoon listening.
I've just discovered MC50 on 11:35 - Jul 16 with 936 viewsWeWereZombies

I've just discovered MC50 on 08:45 - Jul 16 by gtsb1966

Both brilliant tracks and I love how the second one starts off with a hint of 'Baba O'Reilly' before carrying on in Chuck Berry mode. I also have these to thank because I was going to post a Television track, partly to give Phil something to listen to as he trawls through our verbiage, but have now been disabused of my wrongly held belief that 'Sonic' went on to play bass for that band. Two different Fred Smiths, the Wikipedia page for the second even starts off 'not to be confused with Fred 'Sonic' Smith'...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

I've just discovered MC50 on 11:53 - Jul 16 with 923 viewsFoD_Blue

They were formed to mark the 50th anniversary of "Kick Out the Jams" I think?

Saw them in 2019 in Cardiff when they were openers for Alice Cooper (along with The Stranglers). I didn't know a lot about MC5, but enjoyed watching MC50.

Alice Cooper and The Stranglers were both excellent.
I've just discovered MC50 on 17:36 - Jul 18 with 761 viewsgainsboroughblue

Hugely influential. Punk before punk was a thing.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024