Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship this year 09:41 - Jul 17 with 3291 viewsbluestandard

There has been a lot made of the strength of the Championship this year compared to recent seasons and there is certainly something in that based on teams coming up from league 1 and down from the Prem. Looked at another way though, I see a lot of sides that are arguably weakened from last season, whether that is from selling prized assets (Coventry/Gyokeres) or facing financial pressures (WBA/Blackburn). Leaving out the relegated Prem teams (they'll be strong regardless of relative strength last season), I can only see a few clubs going into this season in a clearly stronger position than they were last year, Boro being the standout currently in this transfer window. Just wondered what people thought about which teams have actually improved their chances with their business in the transfer window so far?
Championship this year on 10:33 - Jul 17 with 3137 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Birmingham City are unlikely to be play off contenders, but they will certainly be much stronger this season. Massive new investment in the club by new part-owner.
Championship this year on 10:40 - Jul 17 with 3093 viewsjp_itfc

I think Bristol City have made some smart business, as much as I hate to say it.
Championship this year on 11:23 - Jul 17 with 2966 viewsdirtyboy

Sunderland have made some cracking signings, but perhaps lacking some experience as they're all highly rated youngsters.

Could be too early, but I think they'll get better and better as we go through the season. Dare I say getting them out of the way first game could be a blessing, but they will be good this year.

Agree on 'Boro, they'll be up there.

Question is, Leicester, Southampton, Leeds.....one of them will bottle it won't they? One always struggles even with a great squad.
Championship this year on 11:26 - Jul 17 with 2944 viewsElderGrizzly

Championship this year on 11:23 - Jul 17 by dirtyboy

Sunderland have made some cracking signings, but perhaps lacking some experience as they're all highly rated youngsters.

Could be too early, but I think they'll get better and better as we go through the season. Dare I say getting them out of the way first game could be a blessing, but they will be good this year.

Agree on 'Boro, they'll be up there.

Question is, Leicester, Southampton, Leeds.....one of them will bottle it won't they? One always struggles even with a great squad.

I know we hate Farke for obvious reasons, but he was a very astute signing by Leeds.

It's whether he can work within the madness that surrounds the club.
Championship this year on 13:24 - Jul 17 with 2685 viewsChurchman

Championship this year on 11:26 - Jul 17 by ElderGrizzly

I know we hate Farke for obvious reasons, but he was a very astute signing by Leeds.

It's whether he can work within the madness that surrounds the club.

Leeds seem a bit of a disjointed shambles. Farke is going to do well to succeed there. For me the club has to be ‘right’ before a team can succeed, by and large. Same applies to Leicester. Saints? Had longer to prepare and look quite settled as a club.

Middlesbrough and Sunderland look strong and Coventry under Robins will do well again. There’s a lot of average teams like Stoke, one or two of whom will surprise, but there are also a few basket cases. WBA, Sheffield Weds, Blackburn. In other words the usual mix.

Quite where we fit between best and worst, goodness knows but I’m looking forward to it.
Championship this year on 13:41 - Jul 17 with 2622 viewsSwansea_Blue

The quality in the Championship was mostly poor last year. I’m quietly confident our organisation if nothing else should help us have a pretty decent season. I can’t see the quality suddenly improving across most teams. Obviously you’d expect the relegated teams to do well, but wholesale changes can be disruptive and derail any of those teams (just look at Stoke or WBA for example).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Championship this year on 22:02 - Jul 17 with 2350 viewsArnieM

Championship this year on 13:24 - Jul 17 by Churchman

Leeds seem a bit of a disjointed shambles. Farke is going to do well to succeed there. For me the club has to be ‘right’ before a team can succeed, by and large. Same applies to Leicester. Saints? Had longer to prepare and look quite settled as a club.

Middlesbrough and Sunderland look strong and Coventry under Robins will do well again. There’s a lot of average teams like Stoke, one or two of whom will surprise, but there are also a few basket cases. WBA, Sheffield Weds, Blackburn. In other words the usual mix.

Quite where we fit between best and worst, goodness knows but I’m looking forward to it.

I’m surprised a bigger club hadn’t come after Robins. I think his teams always play good attacking football and he seems quite a good manager to me. …… for an ex budgie!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Championship this year on 07:19 - Jul 18 with 2093 viewsbluestandard

Championship this year on 10:33 - Jul 17 by BcarefulwhatUWish4

Birmingham City are unlikely to be play off contenders, but they will certainly be much stronger this season. Massive new investment in the club by new part-owner.

Yep I had them on my list of 'stronger' teams. They could be a surprise package this year.
Login to get fewer ads

Championship this year on 07:20 - Jul 18 with 2089 viewsbluestandard

Championship this year on 10:40 - Jul 17 by jp_itfc

I think Bristol City have made some smart business, as much as I hate to say it.

Agreed, but they will only be stronger if they somehow manage to hold onto Alex Scott. Can't see that happening though.
Championship this year on 07:27 - Jul 18 with 2063 viewsNthQldITFC

Championship this year on 10:40 - Jul 17 by jp_itfc

Yes, think they'll do well. They are reaping the rewards of the excellent work Mark Ashton did during his tenure there.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Championship this year on 07:46 - Jul 18 with 2020 viewsElephantintheRoom

The championship is pretty useless with no stand out clubs - that’s why the upper mid table clubs (play off contenders in modern parlance) were largely upwardly mobile recent third division clubs. It’s also why a club like Barnsley can go from the play offs to relegation in one year with just a modicum of asset stripping

It’s also full of clubs that have made themselves skint by reaching the Prem - if recent patterns are followed Leeds and Leicester will have new managers by Xmas.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Championship this year on 08:04 - Jul 18 with 1929 viewsMetal_Hacker

Championship this year on 07:46 - Jul 18 by ElephantintheRoom

The championship is pretty useless with no stand out clubs - that’s why the upper mid table clubs (play off contenders in modern parlance) were largely upwardly mobile recent third division clubs. It’s also why a club like Barnsley can go from the play offs to relegation in one year with just a modicum of asset stripping

It’s also full of clubs that have made themselves skint by reaching the Prem - if recent patterns are followed Leeds and Leicester will have new managers by Xmas.

And there he is

My little ray of hope and sunshine

Always bringing a smile to people's faces

Gawd Bless Ya
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 8:12]

Poll: If it were one or the other

Championship this year on 08:08 - Jul 18 with 1905 viewsCoastalblue

Championship this year on 07:46 - Jul 18 by ElephantintheRoom

I don't think football is the game for you.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Championship this year on 08:15 - Jul 18 with 1863 viewsElephantintheRoom

Championship this year on 08:08 - Jul 18 by Coastalblue

I don't think football is the game for you.

You disagree with reality?

Perhaps you’ve forgotten that Town were in the championship quite recently? It wasn’t very good back then either.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Championship this year on 08:46 - Jul 18 with 1752 viewsPioneerBlue

I would say under estimate any of the teams at peril. Certainly for season 1 back in the league we have our work cut out to first prove over 46 games we’ve got it then thrive. It’s obvious the parachute teams are going to have quality, they might not click immediately but they will very likely be competing top 6 or above. You then have Sunderland Boro Coventry, that’s before wanting to take points off teams that will fight hard for their positions like Birmingham Bristol City Millwall Nodge Stoke Watford Hull Swansea .

That’s 14.

How many have improved?

All of them might have done when considering another year as a team. To predict before the window is closed is preemptive.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Championship this year on 09:30 - Jul 18 with 1625 viewsITFC_Forever

There's some decent teams in there, but there's also alot of sludge with no discernable quality clogging up the bottom of the division, grinding out results to achieve mediocrity.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Championship this year on 16:30 - Jul 18 with 1325 viewsCoastalblue

Championship this year on 08:15 - Jul 18 by ElephantintheRoom

You disagree with reality?

Perhaps you’ve forgotten that Town were in the championship quite recently? It wasn’t very good back then either.

Your version of reality, or the one the rest of us live in?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024