Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anybody on here follow the ladies team? 22:01 - Aug 15 with 1884 viewsCoastalblue

I just wondered if somebody could give an abridged version of what's gone on over the summer, and the chances of a succesful season?

Not following closely, well barely at all tbh, it seemed like there was a succession of departures from a squad that was very strong?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 22:05 - Aug 15 with 1834 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Don't follow it that closely but I did see someone mention that 2 year contracts are the norm for womens football and there is a lot of movement between clubs.

I'd actually love to know the attendances of all tier 3 clubs to see how we compare.
Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 22:37 - Aug 15 with 1730 viewsGiraffeBlue

Yeah.
Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 22:48 - Aug 15 with 1720 viewsjayessess

A couple of the better players have moved to teams in the league above. Abbie Lafayette for Watford, Anna Grey for Lewes, both in the 2nd Tier - the Championship. Freya Godfrey, the very talented forward who was on loan has also left (now on loan at Charlton Athletic instead, also Championship). The goalkeeeper, Sarah Quantrill, retired and then joined Norwich in a lower league but we've recruited a new keeper, who the manager reckons is better.

Some big losses there but still some good players at the club and wouldn't be surprised if there's been similar outgoings at rival clubs in the division.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 22:48 - Aug 15 with 1724 viewsFreddies_Ears

We are paying the price for the cancelled Covid season, as we expected or feared. In not getting promoted in the last 2 years (we ran it very, very close last season), some of our players have moved up a level anyway. Others have moved on, for personal reasons (a bit like happens in non-league football).
Add to that, we have lost our regional FA Academy, as the top clubs now control the Academy system.
So, it is a bit of a re-set, but we still have some real talent and will be looking to strengthen still.
From a wider perspective, Newcastle are in the northern version of our league, and have gone full-time, to try to buy their way into the top two leagues. They will likely succeed.
There are now 2 promotion places, though, so top of our league goes up.
Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 00:50 - Aug 16 with 1547 viewspennblue

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 22:48 - Aug 15 by Freddies_Ears

We are paying the price for the cancelled Covid season, as we expected or feared. In not getting promoted in the last 2 years (we ran it very, very close last season), some of our players have moved up a level anyway. Others have moved on, for personal reasons (a bit like happens in non-league football).
Add to that, we have lost our regional FA Academy, as the top clubs now control the Academy system.
So, it is a bit of a re-set, but we still have some real talent and will be looking to strengthen still.
From a wider perspective, Newcastle are in the northern version of our league, and have gone full-time, to try to buy their way into the top two leagues. They will likely succeed.
There are now 2 promotion places, though, so top of our league goes up.

We should also buy ourselves out the league imo, it is a cheap tike to do it than in 5 years time

I saw them maybe 5 times, i think Ana Grey is biggest loss, the other two i would think are relatively easy to replace.

As for their chances this season, well it is easier to get promoted this season as there is no additional play off game with north league
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 6:39]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 04:11 - Aug 16 with 1466 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 00:50 - Aug 16 by pennblue

We should also buy ourselves out the league imo, it is a cheap tike to do it than in 5 years time

I saw them maybe 5 times, i think Ana Grey is biggest loss, the other two i would think are relatively easy to replace.

As for their chances this season, well it is easier to get promoted this season as there is no additional play off game with north league
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 6:39]

Considering the improvement and profile in the Womens game from say even 10 years ago, think 20 years from now the Womens game may be very big. Any club worth its salt would want a piece of that potential.

It wouldn't cost Town much to get to the Championship in my view given how close they have been.
Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 10:21 - Aug 16 with 1193 viewsjayessess

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 04:11 - Aug 16 by burnbudgiesburn

Considering the improvement and profile in the Womens game from say even 10 years ago, think 20 years from now the Womens game may be very big. Any club worth its salt would want a piece of that potential.

It wouldn't cost Town much to get to the Championship in my view given how close they have been.

Think there are some obstacles to "buying our way up". Full-time women footballers aren't paid terribly well and that understandably makes it difficult to persuade people to move across the country to play 3rd-tier football.

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 11:31 - Aug 16 with 1132 viewsGeoffSentence

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 10:21 - Aug 16 by jayessess

Think there are some obstacles to "buying our way up". Full-time women footballers aren't paid terribly well and that understandably makes it difficult to persuade people to move across the country to play 3rd-tier football.

Surely 'buying our way up' means paying them better and making it worthwhile to come.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 12:20 - Aug 16 with 1052 viewsFreddies_Ears

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 11:31 - Aug 16 by GeoffSentence

Surely 'buying our way up' means paying them better and making it worthwhile to come.

Salaries in the 2nd tier are such that a budget of £500k might well be needed. Personally, I'd go for it, but that does mean missing one player in the men's squad...
Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 13:09 - Aug 16 with 979 viewsjayessess

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 11:31 - Aug 16 by GeoffSentence

But the issue is how worthwhile you can realistically make things at this level of football.

In the men's third tier, everybody makes their living as a footballer and the expectation is that progressing your career necessarily involves uprooting your life periodically. But most WSL players are earning something close to the median wage. Lots of them earn less than a school teacher or a nurse. Below the top division almost everyone is part time or amateur.

That gives you pretty limited scope to persuade people to move across the country. All you can really do with money is out-compete other local teams.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 13:51]

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 18:54 - Aug 16 with 779 viewsmonkeymagic

Is the women’s Championship a big step up in quality? Also, in general terms is the women’s Championship about the same standard as, say, the Thurlow Nunn league?
Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 18:56 - Aug 16 with 767 viewsblueasfook

I used to, until the police had a word with me about it.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 20:04 - Aug 16 with 671 viewsjayessess

Anybody on here follow the ladies team? on 18:54 - Aug 16 by monkeymagic

Is the women’s Championship a big step up in quality? Also, in general terms is the women’s Championship about the same standard as, say, the Thurlow Nunn league?

Ipswich have competed well with Championship teams in cup competitions before, but yes, it's a national league, with a lot of pro players and the 3rd tier is regionalized and mostly amateur

Comparisons with men's football leagues are pretty futile really.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 20:05]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024