Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peeling hard-boiled eggs 12:18 - Sep 4 with 4195 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Currently conducting general research with regards to the quickest and easiest way to peel hard-boiled eggs.

I've seen everything from shaking them around in a cup, to using a spoon to scrape around the inside of the shell.

Suggestions welcome please.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:22 - Sep 4 with 2543 viewsFather_Jack

Initial gentle tap with a teaspoon and shell comes off easily in my experience.

Less is more.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:23 - Sep 4 with 2536 viewsFreddies_Ears

Tap the big end on a hard surface, and just peel the shell away. Dip repeatedly in cold water if the egg is hot!
Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:23 - Sep 4 with 2537 viewsArnieM

Bounce em up and down in the saucepan ( cracking the shell), then fill pan with cold water and leave for a couple of mins. The cold water gets under the shell and helps retract the cooked egg ( it also stops the cooking process) and the shell comes off the egg easy peasy đź‘Ť
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 12:24]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:24 - Sep 4 with 2533 viewsSitfcB

Smash on the counter top and peel away, so satisfying when it all comes off in one or two full peels.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:27 - Sep 4 with 2515 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:34 - Sep 4 with 2466 views_clive_baker_

Much like how clever little birds crack nuts, I tend to leave mine in a car parking bay at Gatwick airport. Return a couple of hours later to collect them, voila, a perfect post match snack.
Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:49 - Sep 4 with 2435 viewsGeoffSentence

Well, you've come to the right place. You could have gone to one of the egg forums, but to be honest they can be a bit snooty and you probably would have been laughed off just for asking the question. However, as luck would have it I used to be one of the country's best, if not the best, egg professionals before it all went wrong.

The first thing you need to know is to not use eggs that are too fresh, generally not a problem if you are buying them from the supermarket, but if you have your own hens don't be tempted to boil them fresh out of the chicken's arse, you'll have hell and all trouble peeling them, best leave them for a couple of days before even thinking about peeling them.

Your next consideration is the denouement method. There are three main approaches here, and I have to be very careful because if you are a professional and get this wrong you could end up losing your egg licence, which is what happened to me.

There is the mid crack and roll, tap the egg on it's side then roll it gently around in the palm of your hand until the shell is widely cracked, a term we in the egg world call marbling, then it's a simple matter of taking of the shell. This is a simple one, to be honest it's for beginners really and if you want to be taken seriously in the world of eggs don't even consider it.

Secondly, the blunty end denouement. The blunty end (yes, that's the correct term, I know, I was one of the world's premier egg men), holds a small pocket of air which makes opening the egg there a clean way of starting. This is the World Egg Federation approved peel method, you can't really go wrong with it.

Thirdly, the pointy end denouement. If you are professional, or looking to be, never use this it can lead to a terrible mess of a peel, it is strictly prohibited in professional egging as it so often leads to 'chipping', where chunks of egg remain on the shell, once they stick that's it, there's no going back, you will end up with an egg full of holes. That's no good, and if you try it in a professional environment, your licence is in jeopardy.

Sadly, that's what happened to me in my brief, but exulted spell in the egg world. I went in as a fresh faced youngster, eager to learn. It was immediately obvious that I had something special and within months hardened professionals were coming to learn from me. As you can imagine this led to professional jealousy, my former mentor felt pushed aside and ended up hating me. I should have have been more sensitive, but I was a cocky young thing and the egg world was blowing smoke up my arse. All too quickly I became arrogant.

I started pointy end peeling.

At first it felt great, no-one could tell my pointy end peels. It was like they were perfect blunty enders. No-one in the world was able to do that, except the legendary Marco Poulet, but he was largely considered to be insane. A genius, but insane.

Unfortunately, my former mentor, Dave or 'rooster' to use his peeling handle, caught me at and threatened to report me. But I was cocky, I just laughed at him, I told him that no-one would believe him my peels were so good, and said they were likely to believe that his pointy enders were blunties. You can imagine how that went down. His self-esteem was hit and hit hard. He vowed he would bring me down and show the egg world what a cocky little tw@t I really was.

He did report me, and the egg team came in to investigate. I kept on at it though, pointy egg peeling was becoming a thrill for me. The team reported back that they could see no evidence of pointy end misdemeanours. What a rush! I had got away with it, pulled the wool over the eyes of the world's most knowledgeable egg men.

There was no stopping me after that, every peel from the pointy end, I didn't even try to hide it from Rooster, I waved to pointy peel in his face. That was my undoing.

Secretly, brought cameras into the restaurant and he egged me on to pointy peel, not that he needed to , and he caught me on camera pointy egg peeling time and time again, but the worst of it was that he managed to get me laughing at the inspectors and fooling them.

That was it for me, once the inspectorate saw that footage I was done. They hauled me up in front of the committee and tore me down a strip. My world came tumbling down, all arrogance and cockiness whipped from me a a brief 15 minute hearing.

They put in place a lifetime global egg ban.

I cannot peel professionally anywhere in the world ever again.

Let this be a warning, don't be tempted to pointy end peel. Whilst it is acceptable in an amateur environment where style, presentation and professionalism don't matter, if you then move into a professional setting and are in that habit, it can do for you.

This has brought back some memories, good and bad, but I hope it is a lesson for all reading.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:52 - Sep 4 with 2409 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:27 - Sep 4 by BasingstokeBlue

This is the video I was referring to in my OP. Will try it next time.

Login to get fewer ads

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:54 - Sep 4 with 2400 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:52 - Sep 4 by ThisIsMyUsername

This is the video I was referring to in my OP. Will try it next time.

If you are a professional, don't try it. That's another sure fire licence loser.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:55 - Sep 4 with 2400 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:24 - Sep 4 by SitfcB

Smash on the counter top and peel away, so satisfying when it all comes off in one or two full peels.

How often does that happen though?

I had to peel 12 eggs last night while meal prepping. Each one took about 30 seconds as they all went so bitty*. That's a whole six minutes spent peeling eggs. Very inefficient.

* Mm, bitty.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:57 - Sep 4 with 2393 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:23 - Sep 4 by Freddies_Ears

Tap the big end on a hard surface, and just peel the shell away. Dip repeatedly in cold water if the egg is hot!

Approved method. I applaud you.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:57 - Sep 4 with 2393 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:23 - Sep 4 by ArnieM

Bounce em up and down in the saucepan ( cracking the shell), then fill pan with cold water and leave for a couple of mins. The cold water gets under the shell and helps retract the cooked egg ( it also stops the cooking process) and the shell comes off the egg easy peasy đź‘Ť

Sounds promising.

I do soak in cold water, but that's pre-smash.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:57 - Sep 4 with 2391 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:22 - Sep 4 by Father_Jack

Initial gentle tap with a teaspoon and shell comes off easily in my experience.

Teaspoon? Amateur.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:57 - Sep 4 with 2389 viewsSitfcB

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:55 - Sep 4 by ThisIsMyUsername

How often does that happen though?

I had to peel 12 eggs last night while meal prepping. Each one took about 30 seconds as they all went so bitty*. That's a whole six minutes spent peeling eggs. Very inefficient.

* Mm, bitty.

It is rare for a bit of bitty. I mean it is rare to get a satisfying peel.

There’s probably a few egg peel hack videos on Tik-Tok and the like.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:57 - Sep 4 with 2385 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:23 - Sep 4 by ArnieM

So many amateurs.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:58 - Sep 4 with 2377 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:57 - Sep 4 by SitfcB

It is rare for a bit of bitty. I mean it is rare to get a satisfying peel.

There’s probably a few egg peel hack videos on Tik-Tok and the like.

It is rare. For amateurs.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:59 - Sep 4 with 2376 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:24 - Sep 4 by SitfcB

Lord above, I bet your bunty enders look like pointies.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 13:00 - Sep 4 with 2378 viewscatch74

Having done many egg peels for scotch eggs at the pub - vinegar in the boiling water does seem to help.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 13:01 - Sep 4 with 2357 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 13:00 - Sep 4 by catch74

Having done many egg peels for scotch eggs at the pub - vinegar in the boiling water does seem to help.

How did you get away with that? Were you never inspected?

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 13:02 - Sep 4 with 2351 viewsWeWereZombies

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:49 - Sep 4 by GeoffSentence

Well, you've come to the right place. You could have gone to one of the egg forums, but to be honest they can be a bit snooty and you probably would have been laughed off just for asking the question. However, as luck would have it I used to be one of the country's best, if not the best, egg professionals before it all went wrong.

The first thing you need to know is to not use eggs that are too fresh, generally not a problem if you are buying them from the supermarket, but if you have your own hens don't be tempted to boil them fresh out of the chicken's arse, you'll have hell and all trouble peeling them, best leave them for a couple of days before even thinking about peeling them.

Your next consideration is the denouement method. There are three main approaches here, and I have to be very careful because if you are a professional and get this wrong you could end up losing your egg licence, which is what happened to me.

There is the mid crack and roll, tap the egg on it's side then roll it gently around in the palm of your hand until the shell is widely cracked, a term we in the egg world call marbling, then it's a simple matter of taking of the shell. This is a simple one, to be honest it's for beginners really and if you want to be taken seriously in the world of eggs don't even consider it.

Secondly, the blunty end denouement. The blunty end (yes, that's the correct term, I know, I was one of the world's premier egg men), holds a small pocket of air which makes opening the egg there a clean way of starting. This is the World Egg Federation approved peel method, you can't really go wrong with it.

Thirdly, the pointy end denouement. If you are professional, or looking to be, never use this it can lead to a terrible mess of a peel, it is strictly prohibited in professional egging as it so often leads to 'chipping', where chunks of egg remain on the shell, once they stick that's it, there's no going back, you will end up with an egg full of holes. That's no good, and if you try it in a professional environment, your licence is in jeopardy.

Sadly, that's what happened to me in my brief, but exulted spell in the egg world. I went in as a fresh faced youngster, eager to learn. It was immediately obvious that I had something special and within months hardened professionals were coming to learn from me. As you can imagine this led to professional jealousy, my former mentor felt pushed aside and ended up hating me. I should have have been more sensitive, but I was a cocky young thing and the egg world was blowing smoke up my arse. All too quickly I became arrogant.

At first it felt great, no-one could tell my pointy end peels. It was like they were perfect blunty enders. No-one in the world was able to do that, except the legendary Marco Poulet, but he was largely considered to be insane. A genius, but insane.

Unfortunately, my former mentor, Dave or 'rooster' to use his peeling handle, caught me at and threatened to report me. But I was cocky, I just laughed at him, I told him that no-one would believe him my peels were so good, and said they were likely to believe that his pointy enders were blunties. You can imagine how that went down. His self-esteem was hit and hit hard. He vowed he would bring me down and show the egg world what a cocky little tw@t I really was.

He did report me, and the egg team came in to investigate. I kept on at it though, pointy egg peeling was becoming a thrill for me. The team reported back that they could see no evidence of pointy end misdemeanours. What a rush! I had got away with it, pulled the wool over the eyes of the world's most knowledgeable egg men.

There was no stopping me after that, every peel from the pointy end, I didn't even try to hide it from Rooster, I waved to pointy peel in his face. That was my undoing.

Secretly, brought cameras into the restaurant and he egged me on to pointy peel, not that he needed to , and he caught me on camera pointy egg peeling time and time again, but the worst of it was that he managed to get me laughing at the inspectors and fooling them.

That was it for me, once the inspectorate saw that footage I was done. They hauled me up in front of the committee and tore me down a strip. My world came tumbling down, all arrogance and cockiness whipped from me a a brief 15 minute hearing.

Let this be a warning, don't be tempted to pointy end peel. Whilst it is acceptable in an amateur environment where style, presentation and professionalism don't matter, if you then move into a professional setting and are in that habit, it can do for you.

This has brought back some memories, good and bad, but I hope it is a lesson for all reading.

Far as I know Damon Albumen doesn't feature on this track...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 13:05 - Sep 4 with 2319 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:49 - Sep 4 by GeoffSentence

Wow, thank you for sharing your story. It reads like a plot-line for a Netflix series.

I think it would be best for me to first master the fundamentals on the amateur level, before thinking of building up to World Egg Federation methods.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 13:56 - Sep 4 with 2210 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 13:05 - Sep 4 by ThisIsMyUsername

Wow, thank you for sharing your story. It reads like a plot-line for a Netflix series.

I think it would be best for me to first master the fundamentals on the amateur level, before thinking of building up to World Egg Federation methods.

Keep it simple. Keep it safe.

I don't wish what happened to me on anyone else.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 14:04 - Sep 4 with 2185 viewstazdac

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 14:07 - Sep 4 with 2174 viewsGeoffSentence

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 14:04 - Sep 4 by tazdac

Sweet Jesus above. I hope to high heavens she's not a licensed egger. There's no way she should be doing that.

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 15:24 - Sep 4 with 2073 viewsSwansea_Blue

Peeling hard-boiled eggs on 12:27 - Sep 4 by BasingstokeBlue

He said peel it, not pleasure it

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024