Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon 12:14 - Sep 12 with 1762 viewsElderGrizzly

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/12/busy-pubs-charge-drinkers-more-

I guess not that unsurprising, given food menus can cost less at different times of day
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:16 - Sep 12 with 1731 viewsCotty

You're right, happy hour is an entirely new construct
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:17 - Sep 12 with 1712 viewsElderGrizzly

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:16 - Sep 12 by Cotty

Ha. I guess we are used to prices coming down not going up.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:20 - Sep 12 with 1689 viewsCotty

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:17 - Sep 12 by ElderGrizzly

There's no difference really. They could've marketed it as a price drop in less busy periods and made it into a positive story. Weird.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:20 - Sep 12 with 1686 viewsParky

Went into Yates in Ipswich the other week and it’s an absolute shíthole, no wonder it’s closing, although one of my mates reckons it’s opening as a Slug & Lettuce which I didn’t know was the same company before reading your link.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:23 - Sep 12 with 1652 viewslowhouseblue

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:17 - Sep 12 by ElderGrizzly

don't prices go up at the end of happy hour?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:23 - Sep 12 with 1653 viewsElderGrizzly

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:20 - Sep 12 by Cotty

There's no difference really. They could've marketed it as a price drop in less busy periods and made it into a positive story. Weird.

Sometimes transparency is not your friend.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:37 - Sep 12 with 1598 views_clive_baker_

An idiot tax for anyone foolish enough to drink in a Yates or Slug & Lettuce if you ask me.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:06 - Sep 12 with 1524 viewsLeaky

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:16 - Sep 12 by Cotty

Seems like we may now get miserable hour
Login to get fewer ads

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:10 - Sep 12 with 1512 viewsMattinLondon

I’m not sure whether I’m misremembering but wasn’t there a bar in Ipswich (I think it was called the New York Exchange) where the prices of a set drink went up if lots of people were drinking it and a drink was really cheap if no one was drinking it. Think the prices were on a large screen set out like the stock exchange.

I could well be making this up as it was a while ago.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:15 - Sep 12 with 1483 viewsJ2BLUE

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:10 - Sep 12 by MattinLondon

I’m not sure whether I’m misremembering but wasn’t there a bar in Ipswich (I think it was called the New York Exchange) where the prices of a set drink went up if lots of people were drinking it and a drink was really cheap if no one was drinking it. Think the prices were on a large screen set out like the stock exchange.

I assume they paid the customer to drink Ghost Ship

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:30 - Sep 12 with 1438 viewsLeaky

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:15 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

I assume they paid the customer to drink Ghost Ship

Hope so would have made a few bob.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:34 - Sep 12 with 1425 views_clive_baker_

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:10 - Sep 12 by MattinLondon

New York Exchange was a bar in Ipswich opposite Pals, and I have seen that concept before back in the day when I was at University. It was always before holidays, presumably to sell off short life stock. Or maybe just for novelty. It was mad in the student union when the WKD and Reef prices dropped to 50p, everywhere you looked there were people strawpeedoing them.

Never actually saw that concept in Ipswich anywhere, but didn't frequent New York exchange all that often.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:40 - Sep 12 with 1398 viewsstonojnr

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:37 - Sep 12 by _clive_baker_

An idiot tax for anyone foolish enough to drink in a Yates or Slug & Lettuce if you ask me.

its Stonegate pubs, so also includes places like the Plough and Mannings assuming they dont get the choice on whether to implement it or not
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:41 - Sep 12 with 1392 viewsdelias_cheesy_flaps

It's a new concept for the UK, but dynamic pricing has been used in Singapore for well over 20 years in popular places like Clarke Quay...cheap beer early afternoon steadily rising over the day until the cost gets crippling during late evening, early morning. I believe it was introduced to deter drunkenness....didn't really work, just needed a mortgage for a night out!!

Blog: This Might Rub You Up the Wrong Way, it Might Not!

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:46 - Sep 12 with 1373 viewsstonojnr

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:20 - Sep 12 by Parky

Went into Yates in Ipswich the other week and it’s an absolute shíthole, no wonder it’s closing, although one of my mates reckons it’s opening as a Slug & Lettuce which I didn’t know was the same company before reading your link.

Id be surprised at that since they are the same business and they could quite easily rebrand the place than shut it down, and Stonegates reaction was very much along the lines their lease had expired and the buildings landlord was taking it back and they werent going to be opening up elsewhere in the town.
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:57 - Sep 12 with 1329 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 13:34 - Sep 12 by _clive_baker_

New York Exchange was a bar in Ipswich opposite Pals, and I have seen that concept before back in the day when I was at University. It was always before holidays, presumably to sell off short life stock. Or maybe just for novelty. It was mad in the student union when the WKD and Reef prices dropped to 50p, everywhere you looked there were people strawpeedoing them.

Never actually saw that concept in Ipswich anywhere, but didn't frequent New York exchange all that often.

They do it in The Gardeners Arms

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 14:19 - Sep 12 with 1249 viewsSitfcB

Mannings is always cheaper in the week compared to a Saturday home game.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 14:29 - Sep 12 with 1219 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Dunno if I'm due a woosh here, but of course there's a difference. The prices in less busy periods aren't going down, they're staying as they always were. They're just going up even higher in busy periods.

You can't market something as a price drop if the prices are only going up.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 15:24 - Sep 12 with 1137 viewskeighleyblue

yeah like using a Tesco club card to avoid paying double for your groceries is a "price drop" to some suckers...
Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 16:45 - Sep 12 with 1044 viewsFather_Jack

There was a pub in Manchester in the 90s which operated on this model. I went in twice and both times it was virtually empty. Didn't last more than a few months.

Less is more.

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 17:08 - Sep 12 with 979 viewsSitfcB

Dynamic pricing of drinks in pubs is coming soon on 12:20 - Sep 12 by Parky

It’s closed now, on 2nd Sept I think.

The Plough and Mannings are Stonegate as well…

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23784360.stonegate-group-dynamic-pricing-impact-suff

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024