Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Article about the British monarchy 20:16 - Sep 15 with 2935 viewsCoastalblue

Regardless of your views this seems to be a particularly venomous article. I'm no great flag waver for the monarchy,but found this almost offensive in it's tone.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2023/9/14/britains-monarchy-is-dying-and-no-p

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Article about the British monarchy on 15:14 - Sep 18 with 361 viewsWeWereZombies

Article about the British monarchy on 11:24 - Sep 18 by DJR

If we were to abolish the monarchy, we would become a Parliamentary republic and would be best to follow the approach of many such republics where the head of state is elected by Parliament, sometimes with a 2/3rds majority. That would ensure no possibility of a Farage, Johnson or Truss, but instead a respected elder statesman, as head of state.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2023 11:25]

And thus would we lose the input of someone with a long term view in favour of yet another short term solutions vote chaser.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Article about the British monarchy on 15:57 - Sep 18 with 333 viewsDJR

Article about the British monarchy on 15:14 - Sep 18 by WeWereZombies

And thus would we lose the input of someone with a long term view in favour of yet another short term solutions vote chaser.

And I suppose it could be argued that worthy political candidates would be thin on the ground anyway.

Perhaps the solution would be to open it up to (or even limit it to) the type of non-political people who become crossbench peers. Lord Anderson of Ipswich springs to mind! But maybe the person would need to be more well known. Baroness Grey-Thompson would be an example, or Lord (Norman) Foster of Thames Bank.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2023 9:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024