Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone done a PhD? 23:06 - Oct 2 with 4243 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Just started one, and feeling a little anxious. If you've any tips on time management in particular let me know.

I'll be doing it part-time over six years, whilst working full time, so time management will be key.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:37 - Oct 3 with 854 viewsBlueNomad

This forum is absolutely loaded with intellectual giants!

Well done all. I stopped at contemplating a Masters!
Anyone done a PhD? on 11:40 - Oct 3 with 848 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:33 - Oct 3 by ThisIsMyUsername

I'm sure the answer to this question is 'very', but exactly how more strenuous and difficult, and in what respects, is a PhD compared to the content and research project in a Masters? In my case it's just a 12 month Masters. Is it a case of the research project just simply takes a lot longer to do in a PhD?

Does it follow the same type of format? As in you first do a literature review and then identify an area for research that you then complete etc etc.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2023 11:34]

Yeah, can be a similar format just a lot larger (I think mine was about 80,000 words but they vary according to subject and trends over time). A higher level/ more rigour is expected as well, but at the end of the day it's the sheer volume that can grind you down. I spent 2.5 years collecting and analysing data, including about 6 month of fieldwork and the rest lab time and analysis/interpretation, etc. About 1 year full time writing it all up. You get into a bit of a groove writing up, but it can be relentless and repetitive.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:42 - Oct 3 with 842 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:37 - Oct 3 by BlueNomad

Anyone who chooses to follow the Towen is an intellectual giant!

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:56 - Oct 3 with 818 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:37 - Oct 3 by BlueNomad

To be fair after I did my first degree I never thought I'd do the Masters, but it just felt like a natural progression, four years after completing my BA.

With the PhD, it feels kind of the same, in a way, but this one really feels like I'm doing something for me, for the first time in my career.

Anyone done a PhD? on 12:01 - Oct 3 with 806 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:40 - Oct 3 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, can be a similar format just a lot larger (I think mine was about 80,000 words but they vary according to subject and trends over time). A higher level/ more rigour is expected as well, but at the end of the day it's the sheer volume that can grind you down. I spent 2.5 years collecting and analysing data, including about 6 month of fieldwork and the rest lab time and analysis/interpretation, etc. About 1 year full time writing it all up. You get into a bit of a groove writing up, but it can be relentless and repetitive.

80,000 words! Wow.

Sounds like an intense process.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Anyone done a PhD? on 12:03 - Oct 3 with 805 viewsHerbivore

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:40 - Oct 3 by Swansea_Blue

Mine was 100,000, and I dread to think how much more writing I did as part of the process.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone done a PhD? on 12:16 - Oct 3 with 799 viewsCotty

Anyone done a PhD? on 12:03 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

Mine was 100,000, and I dread to think how much more writing I did as part of the process.

I cut a third of my thesis about 2 months before submitting (because the project went down a dead end)
Anyone done a PhD? on 14:27 - Oct 3 with 753 viewsGeomorph

Good luck with the PhD. I did mine in the late 90s graduating in 2001. Mine was field (mostly) based in Physical Geography, so I guess a lot revolved around my summer field seasons in Scotland and France. Otherwise, my time management was absolutely atrocious, especially during the writing phase. One of my supervisors advised me to treat it as a 9 to 5 job. I didn't, but I think that would be the better way of doing it, especially now that more and more emphasis is put on the research methods/techniques side of things. Otherwise, a key thing is just to keep motivated, get involved in teaching/tutoring etc.

Hope it all goes well G
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone done a PhD? on 14:31 - Oct 3 with 735 viewsGeomorph

Anyone done a PhD? on 11:33 - Oct 3 by ThisIsMyUsername

I'm sure the answer to this question is 'very', but exactly how more strenuous and difficult, and in what respects, is a PhD compared to the content and research project in a Masters? In my case it's just a 12 month Masters. Is it a case of the research project just simply takes a lot longer to do in a PhD?

Does it follow the same type of format? As in you first do a literature review and then identify an area for research that you then complete etc etc.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2023 11:34]

I found doing a masters infinitely more stressful and intense than the PhD... ps: I was going to do a part time PhD but the supervisors advised/encouraged me to ditch the job and focus on the research... that has turned out be be a wonderful life decision.
Anyone done a PhD? on 14:34 - Oct 3 with 731 viewsGeomorph

Anyone done a PhD? on 12:16 - Oct 3 by Cotty

I cut a third of my thesis about 2 months before submitting (because the project went down a dead end)

I did a very similar thing... was working on twin sites but completely ditched one of those from the write up to simplify the thesis...(although did publish it eventually)
Anyone done a PhD? on 14:37 - Oct 3 with 726 viewsHerbivore

Anyone done a PhD? on 12:16 - Oct 3 by Cotty

Yeah, the amount you end up having to cut out or hive off from a piece of work that's roughly the length of two books is quite something.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone done a PhD? on 15:01 - Oct 3 with 711 viewsGeomorph

Anyone done a PhD? on 10:47 - Oct 3 by Cheltenham_Blue

Work reasons. I'm, a lecturer at The Uni of Gloucestershire and am acutely aware that institutions are more focused on staff having PhDs now.

Just feathering my nest incase I need to move on.

just seen this!! ignore my thing about teaching lol
Anyone done a PhD? on 15:41 - Oct 3 with 684 viewsReus30

Anyone done a PhD? on 12:03 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

100,000 words!!!!!!

My brain hurts from just reading this thread but respect to everyone bettering and pushing themselves.

I can never pick up a textbook again or I will just wilt into the ground.
Anyone done a PhD? on 15:45 - Oct 3 with 682 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone done a PhD? on 12:01 - Oct 3 by ThisIsMyUsername

80,000 words! Wow.

Sounds like an intense process.

As Geomorph said, a Masters can be much more stressful and intense process as there's not time to waste and things are thrown at you thick and fast. The PhD is more a long slog. One's a sprint triathlon, the other like walking the Pennine Way carrying a rucsac full of self doubt!

Anyone done a PhD? on 16:33 - Oct 3 with 644 viewsstringy

Anyone done a PhD? on 14:37 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

Yeah, the amount you end up having to cut out or hive off from a piece of work that's roughly the length of two books is quite something.

I had a section of 25,000 words that would swoop majestically between chapters two and seven as I struggled with the structure; ugh
Anyone done a PhD? on 16:59 - Oct 3 with 616 viewsJohnTy

Anyone done a PhD? on 10:24 - Oct 3 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's a research by practice PhD.

Topic is around the notion of 'British Identity' specifically what causes the British in particular to constantly look backwards and yearn for a bygone age, something that doesn't really happen in the rest of Europe.

The research topic will be produced as a thesis and 3x 45 minute documentary films, which examine a different aspect of looking backwards. Firstly, Tribute Acts, why people perform them, why people watch them, and the memories of those acts when they were performing live.

Second film will be on re-enactors that reenact battles and recreate war scenes, with very much the same direction as the first. (Why Why Why)

The final film will examine Brexit, and the causes of, based in the false narrative given at the time by many that life was better before.

As brief a synopsis as I can give you.

If you are thinking about your own marketability then articles in academic journals are very important, perhaps more so than a PhD.
Anyone done a PhD? on 18:13 - Oct 3 with 591 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Anyone done a PhD? on 16:59 - Oct 3 by JohnTy

If you are thinking about your own marketability then articles in academic journals are very important, perhaps more so than a PhD.

Erm. Thanks.

Anyone done a PhD? on 18:31 - Oct 3 with 575 viewsJamestownPrince

Anyone done a PhD? on 10:24 - Oct 3 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's a research by practice PhD.

Topic is around the notion of 'British Identity' specifically what causes the British in particular to constantly look backwards and yearn for a bygone age, something that doesn't really happen in the rest of Europe.

The research topic will be produced as a thesis and 3x 45 minute documentary films, which examine a different aspect of looking backwards. Firstly, Tribute Acts, why people perform them, why people watch them, and the memories of those acts when they were performing live.

Second film will be on re-enactors that reenact battles and recreate war scenes, with very much the same direction as the first. (Why Why Why)

The final film will examine Brexit, and the causes of, based in the false narrative given at the time by many that life was better before.

As brief a synopsis as I can give you.

Best of luck

Many of us here will watch tribute acts, then we have acts with only part of the remaining members to watch, we might moan "it's not the same" but we still go!
Anyone done a PhD? on 19:21 - Oct 3 with 566 viewsMJallday

Anyone done a PhD? on 10:47 - Oct 3 by Cheltenham_Blue

Work reasons. I'm, a lecturer at The Uni of Gloucestershire and am acutely aware that institutions are more focused on staff having PhDs now.

Just feathering my nest incase I need to move on.

That’s where I gained my 2 degrees in 1999 (when it was cgche) last year is when it changed to UoG

I didn’t go for my Masters or Doctorate, but frankly if any one asks for a doctor on a plane I’d still stick my hand up. What’s the worst that could happen?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024