Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Preston challenge 17:59 - Oct 6 with 1124 viewsVegtablue

You could be forgiven for scratching your head over Preston's current position in the table. In opponents' penalty areas they have managed just ten more touches this season than Sheffield Wednesday. Is that the most damning statistic in English football today? In almost every measurement with the ball at their feet they are bottom half, more often bottom six, and most often bottom three. Where Huddersfield leap up the table in crosses into the box and Millwall rise in shot creation, Preston remain unapologetically steadfast in their bottom-third obscurity. It would be remiss of me not to mention they are joint third in goals scored per shot, but when the gap between third and twelfth is 0.02 goals per shot and when Preston have mustered 48 fewer shots than the twelfth highest shooters in the division, the end result for the onion bag is actually an easier life than average. Their shooting is dangerous but seldom seen.

Of course these numbers must be counteracted somewhere for Preston to have even survived, let alone thrived, and defensively Preston do that everywhere: top three for tackles, interceptions, blocks, clearances, aerial duels and beyond. They have afforded the fifth lowest shots on target this season, despite giving up the fifth most possession. And this competitive energy is found in all thirds of the pitch, while the sight of Preston launching 94% of goal kicks tomorrow may feel quite jarring given the differing style of recent visitors to Portman Road. If we can look near our attractive best in the face of this defensive onslaught then it will be our most impressive performance to date.

COYB
The Preston challenge on 18:39 - Oct 6 with 1053 viewsSacrebleu

Hate to bet against the team but I’ve got £1.00 @ 66-1 riding on a 3-3 draw. Would love to lose but £66.00 might cheer me up.
The Preston challenge on 10:47 - Oct 7 with 745 viewsNthQldITFC

Nice summary, ta, but what the blue blazes is a 'defensive onslaught'?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The Preston challenge on 11:03 - Oct 7 with 715 viewsNthsuffolkblue

They were keeping a tight defence conceding 6 goals in their first 8 league matches and no more than 1 in any of them. The last two matches have seen West Brom and Leicester stick 7 past them without reply. Let's hope they continue in their recent form this afternoon. I expect them to be hard to break down and very defensive.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The Preston challenge on 11:38 - Oct 7 with 674 viewsVegtablue

The Preston challenge on 10:47 - Oct 7 by NthQldITFC

Nice summary, ta, but what the blue blazes is a 'defensive onslaught'?

Thank you for asking 😅 it describes the feeling of those in the side stands by HT who forgot to bring their helmets.

Nthsuffolk's instincts are likely on the money and we'll see a Preston side content with doing most of their defending in their own half today, rather trying to close space everywhere as it backfired spectacularly against West Brom. We're too high energy ourselves for them to want to meet us head on. I hope you're less on the money Sacrebleu but will take the 6 goals rearranged a bit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024