Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow 19:38 - Oct 14 with 3530 viewsCoastalblue

Not happy with that if I'm honest, think he's a lucky boy to be getting a start in WC quarter on his CV.

Can England go one better that Wales (I just watched the second half in a pub in Wales, think TWTD when we lose)? You'd hope so, but it won't be easy for this England side.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 19:52 - Oct 14 with 2738 viewsKeno

Owen Farrell must have some very iffy photos of the coaching staff

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 21:54 - Oct 14 with 2650 viewsBent_double

Just watched the NZ v Ireland game.

Not really a rugby fan, but that was some game, very enjoyable (considering there's no footy to watch)

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 22:06 - Oct 14 with 2627 viewsTonytown

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 19:52 - Oct 14 by Keno

It’s bonkers. He’s a walking yellow card with no creativity. Ford is miles better.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 22:14 - Oct 14 with 2603 viewsthe_toff

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 22:06 - Oct 14 by Tonytown

It’s bonkers. He’s a walking yellow card with no creativity. Ford is miles better.

While we’re at it I still think Care is the best scrum half as well. No doubt England have been fortunate with the draw. Fiji is a tough game but winnable, but Certainly can’t see anything but England being outclassed by France or SA if we go through.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 22:54 - Oct 14 with 2548 viewsChrisd

England have got the easiest QF draw on paper and judging from Fiji’s last two displays against Georgia and Portugal, England should win comfortably. However, I’ve got a sneaky suspicion the Fijians are really going to turn up tomorrow, they won’t get a better chance to reach a World Cup semi final. Sadly, even if England do get through, they are lightyears behind France, Ireland, NZ and South Africa.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:21 - Oct 15 with 2325 viewsMK1

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 19:52 - Oct 14 by Keno

England record points scorer Farrell?
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:32 - Oct 15 with 2309 viewsKeno

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:21 - Oct 15 by MK1

England record points scorer Farrell?

'meh'

yes he can kick but its his overall play and tackling thats the question

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:35 - Oct 15 with 2298 viewsMK1

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:32 - Oct 15 by Keno

'meh'

I don't really follow rugby. The commentators keep mentioning it, that's all.
Login to get fewer ads

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:50 - Oct 15 with 2273 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’ve had the 2nd half on the radio while starting a roast. Sounds like a cracking match. Still not over several minutes after the end (funny game).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:55 - Oct 15 with 2258 viewsSwansea_Blue

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:32 - Oct 15 by Keno

'meh'

Everyone knows penalties don’t count.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:59 - Oct 15 with 2242 viewsRob88

Lucky?

There’s a long list of reasons why he is starting but I’ll give you just one.

He’s Englands top point scorer of all time.

Let’s stop hating and start supporting.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 22:58 - Oct 15 with 2154 viewsCoastalblue

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:59 - Oct 15 by Rob88

Lucky?

As already mentioned above, there's a whole lot more to playing international rugby than being able to kick a penalty and Farrell does lack in some of those areas.

No hate here, just like to see the best side selected, and like many others wonder why it isn't.

Happy to hear the rest of your list though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 23:59 - Oct 15 with 2121 viewsVegtablue

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 17:59 - Oct 15 by Rob88

Lucky?

"He’s Englands top point scorer of all time."

Does everyone on this thread know what this means? 😅 It isn't like being the top goalscorer in football. He is our most capped place kicker of all time: 20-odd matches more than Jonny and that's why he overtook him. There is only one player in our top 10 point scorers of all time who wasn't our kicker: an incredible achievement for Underwood, who places 10th. Should Farrell have played enough games to become our top point scorer is the question, so I'd be interested to read your long list of reasons Rob.

Ford is the better kicker and Farrell hasn't fired England's back line in as long as I can remember! Maybe our backs are just rubbish but my hunch is Farrell is also one of the least creative players in his position at elite level.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 00:07 - Oct 16 with 2114 viewsTonytown

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 23:59 - Oct 15 by Vegtablue

Does everyone on this thread know what this means? 😅 It isn't like being the top goalscorer in football. He is our most capped place kicker of all time: 20-odd matches more than Jonny and that's why he overtook him. There is only one player in our top 10 point scorers of all time who wasn't our kicker: an incredible achievement for Underwood, who places 10th. Should Farrell have played enough games to become our top point scorer is the question, so I'd be interested to read your long list of reasons Rob.

Ford is the better kicker and Farrell hasn't fired England's back line in as long as I can remember! Maybe our backs are just rubbish but my hunch is Farrell is also one of the least creative players in his position at elite level.

The only thing that Farrell has over Ford is physicality as he is bigger.

Ford is creative and at least on a par with place kicking.

He orchestrated the win against Argentina with creative play and superb kicking. Farrell is just not capable of that.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 09:10 - Oct 16 with 1962 viewsRob88

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 22:58 - Oct 15 by Coastalblue

As already mentioned above, there's a whole lot more to playing international rugby than being able to kick a penalty and Farrell does lack in some of those areas.

No hate here, just like to see the best side selected, and like many others wonder why it isn't.

Happy to hear the rest of your list though.

No need to hear about my list.

Take it from the likes of Mike Tindall, James Haskell and Shane Horgan. Or in other words the informed rugby community.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 09:40 - Oct 16 with 1915 viewsRob88

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 23:59 - Oct 15 by Vegtablue

One of our most capped England players, that’s some CV he’s growing there.

The media have made it trendy to hate on him at the moment.

He had a great game yesterday justifying Bortwicks selection decision.

An interesting point made by Shane Horgan was that Owens treatment would probably be different if he came from a more typical background for an England rugby player. He was suggesting he’s maybe a bit too common, rugged and not good enough at playing the media as some which is why he is being treated like he is.

I just like someone who is passionate, aggressive, will put their all on in and deliver on the pitch. I’m probably just a bit old fashioned.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 09:44 - Oct 16 with 1899 viewsCoastalblue

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 09:40 - Oct 16 by Rob88

An interesting point made by Shane Horgan was that Owens treatment would probably be different if he came from a more typical background for an England rugby player. He was suggesting he’s maybe a bit too common, rugged and not good enough at playing the media as some which is why he is being treated like he is.

I just like someone who is passionate, aggressive, will put their all on in and deliver on the pitch. I’m probably just a bit old fashioned.

I don't think anybody doubts any of that, and he's a good player, but the reality is England have better. I don't agree with and wouldn't join in any booing of him, if he's selected and playing then we support him. Outside of the 80 minutes though it's perfectly fair to question his selection.

England are a better side when he doesn't play, regardless of his positive attributes.

I'm taking that to mean you don't have a list and will just refer us to anecdotal references to former players?

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 09:51 - Oct 16 with 1879 viewsVegtablue

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 09:10 - Oct 16 by Rob88

No need to hear about my list.

Take it from the likes of Mike Tindall, James Haskell and Shane Horgan. Or in other words the informed rugby community.

Respectfully Rob, this sidestep leaves open the possibility that you don't possess the knowledge to back up your opinion. I can't attest to your names but I trust they supported Farrell's return on the TV. I know Tindall has left Farrell out of his own selections in the past. Haskell and Farrell are "best mates". These three ex-players do not combine to form a closed shop on informed rugby debate. 😂

I can raise you Sir Clive Woodward, who obviously far exceeds your three combined in managerial clout and has made clear he wouldn't have brought Farrell back in. It's a matter of opinions of course and the informed rugby community is evidently split on this, which is normal. 'He's our leading point scorer' is a naff reason though IMO. It doesn't translate to him being a 'clutch player' or the right player on its own by any stretch.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:00 - Oct 16 with 1858 viewsElephantintheRoom

Now you know why. England are a poor one dimensional team - but accurate kicking keeps you in the competition

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:02 - Oct 16 with 1856 viewsRob88

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 09:44 - Oct 16 by Coastalblue

I don't think anybody doubts any of that, and he's a good player, but the reality is England have better. I don't agree with and wouldn't join in any booing of him, if he's selected and playing then we support him. Outside of the 80 minutes though it's perfectly fair to question his selection.

England are a better side when he doesn't play, regardless of his positive attributes.

I'm taking that to mean you don't have a list and will just refer us to anecdotal references to former players?

You can take that as I’m not playing that game.

Owen led yesterday, England were better for him playing.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:04 - Oct 16 with 1852 viewsRob88

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:00 - Oct 16 by ElephantintheRoom

Now you know why. England are a poor one dimensional team - but accurate kicking keeps you in the competition

We’ve not played well this tournament and it sounds like this is stemming from the structured playing style the team are being asked to play.

As Clive says, it’s about building the score, and that’s what kicking does.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:07 - Oct 16 with 1838 viewsVegtablue

"I just like someone who is passionate, aggressive, will put their all on in and deliver on the pitch. I’m probably just a bit old fashioned."

These aren't qualities that make you an outlier in elite rugby Rob, which is probably the problem. As Coastal says, he's a good player but you need to be better than good at the top. I also think Shane Horgan dilutes the impact of his comments with that suggestion. Simply put, our backs are miles behind the top tier nations and the interplay has regressed over the years with Farrell at fly-half. He shouldn't bear responsibility for this on his own but he is the least creative and gifted of our three options.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:11 - Oct 16 with 1822 viewsRob88

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 09:51 - Oct 16 by Vegtablue

Respectfully Rob, this sidestep leaves open the possibility that you don't possess the knowledge to back up your opinion. I can't attest to your names but I trust they supported Farrell's return on the TV. I know Tindall has left Farrell out of his own selections in the past. Haskell and Farrell are "best mates". These three ex-players do not combine to form a closed shop on informed rugby debate. 😂

I can raise you Sir Clive Woodward, who obviously far exceeds your three combined in managerial clout and has made clear he wouldn't have brought Farrell back in. It's a matter of opinions of course and the informed rugby community is evidently split on this, which is normal. 'He's our leading point scorer' is a naff reason though IMO. It doesn't translate to him being a 'clutch player' or the right player on its own by any stretch.

What did you make of Owens performance yesterday?
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:15 - Oct 16 with 1799 viewsRob88

So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:07 - Oct 16 by Vegtablue

"I just like someone who is passionate, aggressive, will put their all on in and deliver on the pitch. I’m probably just a bit old fashioned."

These aren't qualities that make you an outlier in elite rugby Rob, which is probably the problem. As Coastal says, he's a good player but you need to be better than good at the top. I also think Shane Horgan dilutes the impact of his comments with that suggestion. Simply put, our backs are miles behind the top tier nations and the interplay has regressed over the years with Farrell at fly-half. He shouldn't bear responsibility for this on his own but he is the least creative and gifted of our three options.

These are the nuances you don’t understand as a passive observer.

Our backs are not miles behind other nations in individual quality and class.

The system and structure which the backs are being asked to play within is not the right approach.
So Farrell starts for the egg chasing tomorrow on 10:16 - Oct 16 with 1787 views_clive_baker_

Farrell played really well yesterday. Gets a lot of stick but he generally delivers when it matters, and the media are always OTT with the questioning of him. He has his limitations but so does Ford, who isn't a demonstrably better rugby player. Therefore for me it's the right call to go with Farrell for the here and now due to his experience, leadership and big game mentality.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024