Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City roads in off M4 19:25 - Oct 24 with 1555 viewsmanningtreeblue

Can anyone advise best route in off M4 please (not via Gatwick!)
Will be there about 1630/1700 and wondering if there’s a better alternative to M32 please?
Was wondering if J18 and A420 would be less likely to snarl up? Thanks
Bristol City roads in off M4 on 19:39 - Oct 24 with 1514 viewsMK1

Not much difference either way. Bristol ain't that bad to get across. We always head for Temple Meads and then follow the road along to Ashton gate. We always parked on Winterstoke Ind. Est. Not sure if you can anymore.
Bristol City roads in off M4 on 19:53 - Oct 24 with 1485 viewsBasuco

Edit. I have a memory that last time I went the advice was to not drive through Bristol.
From football ground guide.

Leave the M5 at Junction 18 and travel along the Portway (A4) following signs for the Bristol Airport/Taunton (A38). As you go over the swing bridge (Brunel Way), branch left into Winterstoke Road, and you will see the ground on your left.

Parking at the ground is for permit holders only. There is the Bedminster Cricket club on Clanage Road (A369) that offers parking, but at a pricey cost of £10 per car. It is then around a ten minute walk to the stadium.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 19:57]
Bristol City roads in off M4 on 20:22 - Oct 24 with 1421 viewsiamatractorboy

There is a ULEZ in Central Bristol so you may want to check that and avoid.
Bristol City roads in off M4 on 20:27 - Oct 24 with 1406 viewsmanningtreeblue

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 20:22 - Oct 24 by iamatractorboy

There is a ULEZ in Central Bristol so you may want to check that and avoid.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/residents/streets-travel/bristols-caz/charges-and-veh
Bristol City roads in off M4 on 20:50 - Oct 24 with 1358 viewsITFC4EVA1970

We've booked parking at Sainsbury's Winterstoke Road, BS3 2NS it's about 15 mins walk to ground cost us £6 on your parking space ..Plus its open to get supplies for the journey back and a petrol station too !
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 20:52]
Bristol City roads in off M4 on 06:58 - Oct 25 with 1208 viewsmrfixit426

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 20:50 - Oct 24 by ITFC4EVA1970

We've booked parking at Sainsbury's Winterstoke Road, BS3 2NS it's about 15 mins walk to ground cost us £6 on your parking space ..Plus its open to get supplies for the journey back and a petrol station too !
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 20:52]

This sounds perfect. Do you have a link? I can't seem to find where to book it.

Edit: Ignore this. I found it and it's all booked up.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 7:00]
Bristol City roads in off M4 on 08:20 - Oct 25 with 1150 viewsBobbychase

Avoid driving from Bath to Bristol, for any reason, at all costs. M32 is pretty direct and once you've got past the Temple Meads area to York Road you're well on your way to Ashton Gate.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 08:36 - Oct 25 with 1118 viewsFreddies_Ears

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 19:53 - Oct 24 by Basuco

Edit. I have a memory that last time I went the advice was to not drive through Bristol.
From football ground guide.

Leave the M5 at Junction 18 and travel along the Portway (A4) following signs for the Bristol Airport/Taunton (A38). As you go over the swing bridge (Brunel Way), branch left into Winterstoke Road, and you will see the ground on your left.

Parking at the ground is for permit holders only. There is the Bedminster Cricket club on Clanage Road (A369) that offers parking, but at a pricey cost of £10 per car. It is then around a ten minute walk to the stadium.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 19:57]

That's a far better route than M32 at busy times.

I usually cross the Avon Bridge on the M5 & come off the next junction (Portbury / Portishead / Pill). It is a slower route than the Port way, but takes you straight to the Bedminster Cricket Club side of the ground, entirely avoiding city centre traffic.
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 10:25 - Oct 25 with 1062 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Best option may be to head for Hilperton, near Trowbridge, where you can park for free if you hire a narrowboat. There are several excellent pubs on the way to Bristol, some alongside the canal and river and some in Bath where there is a lively nightlife. You can moor the boat cheaply in the middle of Bristol where you can see Brunel's ss Great Britain (highly recommended). Then head back to Trowbridge.

You can do the whole trip from Hilperton to Bristol and back comfortably in a week.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 10:31]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 10:27 - Oct 25 with 1056 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 10:25 - Oct 25 by Tangledupin_Blue

Best option may be to head for Hilperton, near Trowbridge, where you can park for free if you hire a narrowboat. There are several excellent pubs on the way to Bristol, some alongside the canal and river and some in Bath where there is a lively nightlife. You can moor the boat cheaply in the middle of Bristol where you can see Brunel's ss Great Britain (highly recommended). Then head back to Trowbridge.

You can do the whole trip from Hilperton to Bristol and back comfortably in a week.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 10:31]

That would be a great way to do it, but probably needs a little bit more notice!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 10:36 - Oct 25 with 1037 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Bristol City roads in off M4 on 10:27 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

That would be a great way to do it, but probably needs a little bit more notice!

Indeed. I've done the trip three times (but without the footy). Is a great way to spend a week though may be preferable in July with a high likelihood of sunshine rather than October with a high likelihood of frost.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024