Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Mark Ashton derby" 08:52 - Oct 25 with 3532 viewsBobbychase

While I find the OTIB forum obsession with Mark Ashton a tad weird, maybe even creepy, inventing some sort of fake rivalry over tonight feels a bit like booing Will Keane. Made no sense and just gave him an extra incentive.

City are having an inconsistent season, there are mutterings of discontent with Pearson, just leave it at that.

And a word of advice if I may from someone who has lived in south Bristol for a few years and seen my fair share of games at Ashton Gate, leave those Mark Ashton masks for when you get into the ground, along with any "Bristol's a s**thole, I wanna go home" chants. Historically there is no issue between us and City and it's a decent away day, but a fair chunk of the home support is quite territorial (as are Rovers tbf) and if you cross paths with the wrong person/group you may find your teeth in another postcode.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

"Mark Ashton derby" on 08:54 - Oct 25 with 3085 viewsSitfcB

Laughed at the fact one of their journos asked Pearson about Marks Ashton, they’re obsessed.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

"Mark Ashton derby" on 08:56 - Oct 25 with 3066 viewsBobbychase

"Mark Ashton derby" on 08:54 - Oct 25 by SitfcB

Laughed at the fact one of their journos asked Pearson about Marks Ashton, they’re obsessed.

Pearson is on crutches at the moment, back issues possibly caused by a neurological problem. I get the impression he's just cross with everyone.

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:06 - Oct 25 with 3008 viewsChurchman

"Mark Ashton derby" on 08:56 - Oct 25 by Bobbychase

Pearson is on crutches at the moment, back issues possibly caused by a neurological problem. I get the impression he's just cross with everyone.

He’s always been cross with everyone. Good manager though.

I get the feeling looking at OTIB that the Ashton thing with them has blown itself out a bit - and so it should. They’ve moved on and so have we.

As for Bristol City, I’ve no feelings for them one way or another. Just another club. They have their rivalries and so do we. I do like Bristol. It’s a really nice city with lots to do in an interesting area.
"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:11 - Oct 25 with 2985 viewsBobbychase

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:06 - Oct 25 by Churchman

I get the feeling looking at OTIB that the Ashton thing with them has blown itself out a bit - and so it should. They’ve moved on and so have we.

As for Bristol City, I’ve no feelings for them one way or another. Just another club. They have their rivalries and so do we. I do like Bristol. It’s a really nice city with lots to do in an interesting area.

Incredible city. Can't ever see myself leaving.

But I think it lures people into thinking football fans here are cherry-cheeked men in smocks with a piglet under one arm and a cider flagon under the other.

I mean, some of them are.

But treat it like any other away day where the locals can be a bit punchy. Not Millwall levels. But still.

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:18 - Oct 25 with 2938 viewsITFC_Forever

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:11 - Oct 25 by Bobbychase

Incredible city. Can't ever see myself leaving.

But I think it lures people into thinking football fans here are cherry-cheeked men in smocks with a piglet under one arm and a cider flagon under the other.

I mean, some of them are.

But treat it like any other away day where the locals can be a bit punchy. Not Millwall levels. But still.

I’ve got family in Bristol (Hartcliffe no less!), and while Bristol is a great city, with loads to see and do, it also has a very rough underbelly to be wary of.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:24 - Oct 25 with 2884 viewsBobbychase

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:18 - Oct 25 by ITFC_Forever

I’ve got family in Bristol (Hartcliffe no less!), and while Bristol is a great city, with loads to see and do, it also has a very rough underbelly to be wary of.

Hartcliffe. Blimey. Keep the car doors locked.

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:52 - Oct 25 with 2796 viewsLankHenners

Fair play to the drips that support us, I thought a 70-odd page thread about another team because they have your previous CEO was as weirdly obsessive and embarrassing as it gets but we've managed to outdo it by having grown adults print and wear masks of the man.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:57 - Oct 25 with 2747 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:52 - Oct 25 by LankHenners

Fair play to the drips that support us, I thought a 70-odd page thread about another team because they have your previous CEO was as weirdly obsessive and embarrassing as it gets but we've managed to outdo it by having grown adults print and wear masks of the man.

Really? That's tragic.

City are a bit of an odd club when it comes to derbies. They seem to want rivalry with lots of teams. They have the Severnside derby down here with Cardiff, even though Bristol is strictly on the Avon. Go figure. Also with Swansea. Rovers obviously. I bet they've got a thing for Swindon too. I don't see any reason at all why we should encourage them to add us to their list.

Edit - sorry, it Cardiff that's the Severnside Derby, Swansea just a rivalry.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 10:02]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:07 - Oct 25 with 2690 viewsBobbychase

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:57 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

Really? That's tragic.

City are a bit of an odd club when it comes to derbies. They seem to want rivalry with lots of teams. They have the Severnside derby down here with Cardiff, even though Bristol is strictly on the Avon. Go figure. Also with Swansea. Rovers obviously. I bet they've got a thing for Swindon too. I don't see any reason at all why we should encourage them to add us to their list.

They haven't played Rovers in the league for.....not sure exactly how long but it's going back to the 2000s I think. They probably feel the need for other "derbies".

Swindon, Cardiff and Swansea visits to BS3 are always interesting. When Plymouth come to play either Bristol club there is an element of 'West on West' as well

City also seem to have fisticuffs with QPR sometimes and an historical feud with Millwall.

Lovely local artisan cafes and bakeries mind.

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:11 - Oct 25 with 2680 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:07 - Oct 25 by Bobbychase

They haven't played Rovers in the league for.....not sure exactly how long but it's going back to the 2000s I think. They probably feel the need for other "derbies".

Swindon, Cardiff and Swansea visits to BS3 are always interesting. When Plymouth come to play either Bristol club there is an element of 'West on West' as well

City also seem to have fisticuffs with QPR sometimes and an historical feud with Millwall.

Lovely local artisan cafes and bakeries mind.

I think it's a cracking away day. It's one of the more cultured ones for me, I spend more time in the cafes and food shops around the docks than I do the pubs.

The South Wales matches certainly get a little 'tasty' at times! You're right to put out a bit of a reminder to not be idiots, as there can be a bit of an edge to some of their support.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:14 - Oct 25 with 2672 viewsKropotkin123

I lived in Bristol for a fair few years and for a time not far from the ground. Never seen any issues with fans, so I think your "teeth in the wrong post code" comment is hyperbolic and unwarranted.

The real reason not to sing Bristol is a Shi... Is because it is one of the best places in the UK.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:14 - Oct 25 with 2660 viewsBobbychase

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:11 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

I think it's a cracking away day. It's one of the more cultured ones for me, I spend more time in the cafes and food shops around the docks than I do the pubs.

The South Wales matches certainly get a little 'tasty' at times! You're right to put out a bit of a reminder to not be idiots, as there can be a bit of an edge to some of their support.

We've seen our fans get some of the wrong attention at Hillsborough and Huddersfield already this season. Keen to avoid any repeat.

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:18 - Oct 25 with 2636 viewssolemio

What's the St Paul's area like these days?
"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:23 - Oct 25 with 2600 views_clive_baker_

There's certainly some nasty parts, but all large cities have that. That's part of what makes it IMO. Bath is a bit too twee for me but I love Bristol, it's got all the nice bits but still has the gritty urbaneness of a large city. I loved living there.
"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:25 - Oct 25 with 2590 viewsKropotkin123

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:18 - Oct 25 by solemio

St. Paul's had an undeserved reputation when I lived there. Used to hang out with friends there regularly. Easton was worse, despite not having a reputation.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 10:26]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:31 - Oct 25 with 2559 viewssolemio

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:25 - Oct 25 by Kropotkin123

St. Paul's had an undeserved reputation when I lived there. Used to hang out with friends there regularly. Easton was worse, despite not having a reputation.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 10:26]

I think the reputation of St Paul's was at its lowest a few decades ago, and while it clearly had problems there may have been a racist element to that reputation.

Or am I being unfair?
"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:36 - Oct 25 with 2532 viewsBobbychase

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:18 - Oct 25 by solemio

Being slowly gentrified. But it will take a while

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:45 - Oct 25 with 2492 views_clive_baker_

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:31 - Oct 25 by solemio

I think the reputation of St Paul's was at its lowest a few decades ago, and while it clearly had problems there may have been a racist element to that reputation.

Or am I being unfair?

I think it's a bit of both. Someone once described St Paul's as the Brixton of Bristol, and like Brixton its reputation was probably exaggerated based on bias and the racial demographic of the area IMO. I think both have improved, being well located in terms of access to city centres has helped.

That said, statistically the crime rates speak / spoke for themselves, and it was certainly an area that was rough around the edges 15 years ago. It wasn't alone in that respect though. When I lived in Bristol it had the worst GCSE results in the whole country, some of the worst deprivation in the country too, and more Vicky Pollard's than you can shake a Burberry cap at. While also having really affluent areas, academia, culture, history and architecture to rival anywhere in the UK. It's essentially a mini London.
"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:47 - Oct 25 with 2483 viewsKropotkin123

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:31 - Oct 25 by solemio

Or am I being unfair?

I think this was a racist element to it, as it wasn't black people giving it the negative reputation.

Easton also has a large black community and didn't get the same reputation. Maybe because there was less mixing between the communities, so perhaps those making the judgements were less familiar and less able to exaggerate.

With St. Paul's you had a fair number of students living there and of course the carnival. Both of which demonstrate the welcoming nature and positive community beyond the reputation.

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:53 - Oct 25 with 2456 viewssolemio

Interesting, folks. Thanks.
"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:58 - Oct 25 with 2441 viewsBobbychase

"Mark Ashton derby" on 10:14 - Oct 25 by Kropotkin123

I lived in Bristol for a fair few years and for a time not far from the ground. Never seen any issues with fans, so I think your "teeth in the wrong post code" comment is hyperbolic and unwarranted.

The real reason not to sing Bristol is a Shi... Is because it is one of the best places in the UK.

I've seen lots of away fans on the wrong end of a beating just for singing on the walk up to Ashton Gate, many times. Most City fans I know are lovely people but I'd say them and Rovers (I lived near the Mem for a while) are a bit more territorial than some other clubs.

It's the best place in the UK. Outside Suffolk. So we can agree on that.

"Mark Ashton derby" on 11:12 - Oct 25 with 2395 viewsFevsBCFC

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:06 - Oct 25 by Churchman

I think you are right - focus is on owner v Pearson relationship at the mo’. Looks like he’s doing a good job for you. Judging by the impact of Gamechanger, through O’Leary, Ashton to McKenna, it looks like everything is great…and he’s part of a good set-up that suits all. We’d look a bit stupid to be making too much of it, seeing as to where you are in the league (on merit too).

As I’ve always said, I never blamed him for all of our mess, just he was part of it. And at the mo’ we are seeing the long term clueless nature of our owner and son causing friction with the fan base.

Big test for us tonight.

Nige, in fairness, is pretty mellow most of the time, but like Gremlins, don’t feed him water.
"Mark Ashton derby" on 11:58 - Oct 25 with 2281 viewsChurchman

"Mark Ashton derby" on 11:12 - Oct 25 by FevsBCFC

I think you are right - focus is on owner v Pearson relationship at the mo’. Looks like he’s doing a good job for you. Judging by the impact of Gamechanger, through O’Leary, Ashton to McKenna, it looks like everything is great…and he’s part of a good set-up that suits all. We’d look a bit stupid to be making too much of it, seeing as to where you are in the league (on merit too).

As I’ve always said, I never blamed him for all of our mess, just he was part of it. And at the mo’ we are seeing the long term clueless nature of our owner and son causing friction with the fan base.

Big test for us tonight.

Nige, in fairness, is pretty mellow most of the time, but like Gremlins, don’t feed him water.

There are some, but can’t think of too many things to criticise Ashton for in his time here to date, but he is a cog in a machine, to use a poor metaphor. By that I mean he’s held accountable within a tight structure.

He was also walking into a club flat on its back here and invariably they’re the best jobs to go into because whatever you do, it’s better than what went before - in our case abject decline and decay. We don’t see too much of him these days. That’s no bad thing. The focus is and should be very much on McKenna and the team.

With regard to Pearson and Lansdown, BC would do well to hang on to NP. He’s always been an odd character but he does produce good teams and given your club has done well bringing through and developing players, who out there is going to do better?

Pearson’s teams are always tough to play and tonight will be no exception. We will be playing a team that’s made a good start off the back of a win on Saturday. We will be going into it cold. It’ll be close, though I’m obviously hoping for a win. Draw maybe? Either way, it’ll be a good measure as to where we are and hopefully for those going, a good game.
"Mark Ashton derby" on 12:20 - Oct 25 with 2234 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I still believe that Bristol City were well aware of what Mark Ashton was planning in advance and had long agreed to mutually part ways before then, they weren't exactly resistant to him doing what he did. It was a move that suited everyone. I know their fans hate him, but prior to his arrival they were a Champ/League One yoyo club and now they are well established in the Championship. How bitter can you be about that? What were they expecting?
"Mark Ashton derby" on 12:56 - Oct 25 with 2070 viewsyorkshireblue

"Mark Ashton derby" on 09:57 - Oct 25 by Swansea_Blue

Really? That's tragic.

Not only that, Bedsheet Boy and someone else have been arguing over on Twitter/X whose idea it was first and who should get credit…
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024