Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what do we know about Swansea then? 08:34 - Nov 10 with 1955 viewsDubtractor

Obviously have a record for playing passing football, but Michael Duff took over in the Summer, and he had our number at Cheltenham (whilst playing super defensive football). Obviously he did a decent job at Barnsley too, playing a bit more on the front foot.

Swansea seem to have picked up after a slow start.

Genuinely not really sure what to expect from them tomorrow.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 08:38 - Nov 10 with 1907 viewsMK1

Quite a small place on the South West coast of Wales.
So what do we know about Swansea then? on 08:38 - Nov 10 with 1903 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I'm worried Dubbers!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 08:40 - Nov 10 with 1902 viewsHerbivore

Our local correspondent suggests they are playing more direct than in the past though they do still mix it up with some decent football. Quite defensively solid, they held out for a point against Sunderland with only ten men. I think ultimately they will probably look like one of the dozen or so Championship sides who are much of a muchness. Organised, hard working, some individual quality to hurt you. I'd like to see us start fast and get an early goal, do that and I fancy us to win and possibly to win well. We've started a bit sluggish in recent games.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 08:42 - Nov 10 with 1890 viewsSwansea_Blue

It could be anything. Against Leicester they sat off and parked the bus. In some other games they’ve pressed from the front, but don’t seem to be able to keep that up for long. They won’t faff about at the back like they did under Martin and it’ll be a bit ugly I expect. The only thing they don’t try is high balls into the box like Rotherham, as they’re quite a small side up top.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 08:43 - Nov 10 with 1876 viewsDavoIPB

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 08:40 - Nov 10 by Herbivore

Our local correspondent suggests they are playing more direct than in the past though they do still mix it up with some decent football. Quite defensively solid, they held out for a point against Sunderland with only ten men. I think ultimately they will probably look like one of the dozen or so Championship sides who are much of a muchness. Organised, hard working, some individual quality to hurt you. I'd like to see us start fast and get an early goal, do that and I fancy us to win and possibly to win well. We've started a bit sluggish in recent games.

Exactly this. Having seen them a few times this season they have attacking threat and genuinely some very good players. It's always the pace of the games that seems to be the real threat. Bit worried about this one.
So what do we know about Swansea then? on 08:57 - Nov 10 with 1831 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Very much a mixed bag. I’m sure they’ll be up for it, but at home this is a game you want to be winning. With the form of Whitaker at Plymouth, you have to question not only why they sold him, but for only 1m. He’ll go for 10x that at some point. They are missing Piroe too.

That said I think one of the reasons of our ‘drop off’ (and I use that in the very loosest sense!) is I think teams are finally starting to show us some respect. It’s fairly evident at the outset that teams came to FPR and tried to play us (probably viewing us in the same ways as oppo fans as an unimpressive newly promoted teams). Since we’ve come out scoring hatfuls of goals and getting some statement wins, they now look to be pressing hard, attacking very tentatively and happy to settle for a point.
So what do we know about Swansea then? on 09:01 - Nov 10 with 1805 viewsSwansea_Blue

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 08:57 - Nov 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Very much a mixed bag. I’m sure they’ll be up for it, but at home this is a game you want to be winning. With the form of Whitaker at Plymouth, you have to question not only why they sold him, but for only 1m. He’ll go for 10x that at some point. They are missing Piroe too.

That said I think one of the reasons of our ‘drop off’ (and I use that in the very loosest sense!) is I think teams are finally starting to show us some respect. It’s fairly evident at the outset that teams came to FPR and tried to play us (probably viewing us in the same ways as oppo fans as an unimpressive newly promoted teams). Since we’ve come out scoring hatfuls of goals and getting some statement wins, they now look to be pressing hard, attacking very tentatively and happy to settle for a point.

They never used Whitaker and when they did he looked lost. He didn’t suit Martin’s style the relationship between him and the club/fans was probably beyond repair. It seems a strange waste to effectively sideline him and throw him out, but I think ultimately it just boiled down to Martin thinking he had better options.

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 09:55 - Nov 10 with 1610 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

They are one of the better side we'll play this season. We will need to be at our best, we just need to cut out the silly stuff at the back, we know we have the goals in us, but because we make those defensive errors we make things hard for ourselves. I am hoping Broadhead and Williams are back.
Login to get fewer ads

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 10:49 - Nov 10 with 1487 viewsSomethingBlue

As others have said, good side but hard to know exactly what you'll get week on week. Three very decent away wins on the bounce says something tho. Wouldn't be a surprise if they turned up and nicked it; wouldn't be a shock if we came through with a comfortable enough 2-0. It's good that Charlie Patino is suspended because he's been very good for them so far, although they have reasonable depth in that area. Expecting a tight, knife-edge one ... just for a change.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 10:51]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 11:56 - Nov 10 with 1341 viewsSwansea_Blue

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 09:55 - Nov 10 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

They are one of the better side we'll play this season. We will need to be at our best, we just need to cut out the silly stuff at the back, we know we have the goals in us, but because we make those defensive errors we make things hard for ourselves. I am hoping Broadhead and Williams are back.

No I don’t think they’re one of the better ones. Herbie was spot on with his post above. They’re a mixed bag, but they can be resilient when they want to defend (although they conceded three at home to Leicester despite it being one of their better performances). They’re still adjusting to Duff’s different style (so don’t really appear to have a particular style). They have a bit of quality, but not as much as last season. It’s probably the weakest they’ve been since dropping down into the Championship.

Jamal Lowe offers a potential threat, but he’s been stuck out on the left and not getting involved much. Patterson is offering lots of energy in the No 10 spot these days and back to near his best. He could be a pain. Beyond that, there’s not the talent or pace that the better teams have.

Their fullbacks are the poorest they’ve been for a while imo (and their best rb is injured). Leif could do well and it’s a shame we don’t have Wes available, but I’d play Hutch as I don’t think their lb would know what to do with him.

As with any team in that middle pack they could hurt us and/or frustrate us. But if we’re on it, I fancy us to do well. (Reading that back gives the impression I think it’ll be easy. I don’t at all because they have good, experienced Championship players. We’ll have to be at our very best to get the 3 points, as always).
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 12:12]

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 12:03 - Nov 10 with 1317 viewsSwansea_Blue

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 10:49 - Nov 10 by SomethingBlue

As others have said, good side but hard to know exactly what you'll get week on week. Three very decent away wins on the bounce says something tho. Wouldn't be a surprise if they turned up and nicked it; wouldn't be a shock if we came through with a comfortable enough 2-0. It's good that Charlie Patino is suspended because he's been very good for them so far, although they have reasonable depth in that area. Expecting a tight, knife-edge one ... just for a change.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2023 10:51]

Agreed. They’re super unpredictable. Patino’s a loss for them, as they have some depth there but not creativity. Fulton will probably come in for him; he very solid but a combative midfielder not a playmaker. That might see them push Grimes up a bit more and he can pull the strings and has been a big (and surprising) part of some of their recent wins.

They’ve not much depth off the bench. I think we actually trump them there, and it could be our bench making the difference again.

It’s a really tough one to call though, as they seem to have a different game plan each match (either that or they’re just making it up as they go along!).

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 12:28 - Nov 10 with 1223 viewsIllinoisblue

Like the vast majority of championship games it’ll be tight, probably not a lot in it and decided by fine margins. Be massive if we can go into the break with another home win. Fairly sure it won’t be that easy. COYB

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 13:37 - Nov 10 with 1082 viewsblueislander

The Swansea team that went up in 2010-11 gave one of the best performances I have seen against us in the Championship in beating us 3-1.
So what do we know about Swansea then? on 13:45 - Nov 10 with 1066 viewsLesTibbetsbrokenleg

There's a blog on the front page full of info about Swansea:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21970/opposition-preview--swansea-city
Feel a pivotal game for me Dubster, against a team with a good away record on 14:42 - Nov 10 with 942 viewsunstableblue

I know we always say every game is important and to take them one at a time, oh and of course it’s a long season.

But the international break follows Swansea at home, we’ve taken 8 points from 4 (Bristol (a), Plymouth (h), Brum (a), Rotherham (a))…. By wining we make it 11 from 5, WWDDW, and a start to the season of P16 W12 D3 L1 with 39 points and well that would be remarkable.

But we’re at a point in the season where luck is turning a little and several key players are slightly out of form. We had the Fulham cup loss, and some wobbles against Bristol, Plymouth and Brum….

Also Swansea have won their last two away from home at difficult Blackburn and Plymouth. And of course their manager knows McKenna ball and is rated.

I did feel the Brum rally second half would mean a convincing win and performance at Rotherham… and we should have won on possessions… but again some weak individual displays from key players such as Chaplin, Davis and Luongo cost us.

The good news is that fringe players like Taylor, Axel, Harness and Omari are coming strong. And McKenna may shuffle the team again tomorrow.

It’s going to be a tough and fascinating game, that for me may pivot the season… a good win and performance and I think we’re boosted and belief returns. Especially as I think Leicester and Leeds may drop points. Loose and lacklustre before the break and come concerns on longevity may creep in.

Let’s really get behind the team and will them to victory.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So what do we know about Swansea then? on 15:30 - Nov 10 with 838 viewsRyorry

Seems a very decent guy who I often find myself upvoting :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024