Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fashanu chants again yesterday 15:23 - Nov 12 with 6663 viewsnorth_stand77

A group of blokes in their late teens/early 20s leaving SBR after the game, laughing and singing about him.

Why would they think it was funny?
Just horribly embarrassing and unnecessary.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 10:54 - May 8 with 1146 viewschicoazul

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:21 - Nov 12 by chevblue

From February 1990 (9 years after he played for that lot) ...

I remember trudging over the bridge to PR for the Oxford game through howling gales and rain, getting told it was off, then trudging back again. If I’d known “Mick Zany” was doing a gig i’d have told my dad to take us back. Funny how life turns out.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 10:57 - May 8 with 1115 viewsReuser_is_God

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:27 - Nov 12 by gainsboroughblue

Given their ages, amazed they would even have heard of him.

This what always amazes me when I hear it/read that it’s been sung.

People slate the youths for singing it but surely they’ve just been taught it by older generations.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 10:57 - May 8 with 1112 viewschicoazul

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 18:24 - Nov 12 by Steve_M

Surprised to see Tony Humes was injured….

The World’s Most Injured Man. He seemed to play for us for 20 years with 30 appearances. Remember he played up front a few times? John Duncan, what a guy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 11:13 - May 8 with 1059 viewsblueasfook

Where are these youngsters learning it from? As someone else said, older fans must be teaching it to them. It hasn't been sung at PR for many years. Though I do remember it being widely sung in the North stand along with the one about the Norwich fan who lost his head.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 11:59 - May 8 with 937 viewsEuropablue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:34 - Nov 12 by Perublue

My first thought too and also that I thought that generation (at least in the UK) were totally socially aware these days and if not certainly don't advertise the fact they aren't.

It would be too much of a generalization to expect that all younger people are accepting of gay people. There are a lot of edge lords who like to say stuff that they know they shouldn't just for kicks. Suicide isn't really a laughing matter (yes, there are probably some funny suicide jokes out there somewhere) and it is cruel to the family.
The one thing I would say is this is a generation who have been able to say things in a vacuum. When I was a kid, if you said something negative about someone, you were risking a punch in the face. Now I suppose you are risking prosecution, but there is a weird phycological effect in the anonymity of a crowd even though it is pretty easy to track the non-tech savvy.
These people are just kids and I'd rather see them actually sit down with victims of suicides (bereaved family members) and get an understanding of how hurtful those chants are even if they are abstract.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 12:03 - May 8 with 918 viewsJakeITFC

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 10:57 - May 8 by Reuser_is_God

This what always amazes me when I hear it/read that it’s been sung.

People slate the youths for singing it but surely they’ve just been taught it by older generations.

When I first started going to away games regularly (probably around 2005) it was sung all the time before games in pubs and quite a lot of the time in away ends. Less common now obviously but still hear it on days with big away turnouts (thinking the likes of Cambridge, London games etc.).
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 13:07 - May 8 with 848 viewsandytown

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 10:57 - May 8 by chicoazul

The World’s Most Injured Man. He seemed to play for us for 20 years with 30 appearances. Remember he played up front a few times? John Duncan, what a guy.

Didn’t Tony Humes score the equaliser v Man U in 1988 FA cup 3 rd round? Seem to remember it was a header at the Churchman’s end.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 13:18 - May 8 with 816 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 13:07 - May 8 by andytown

Didn’t Tony Humes score the equaliser v Man U in 1988 FA cup 3 rd round? Seem to remember it was a header at the Churchman’s end.

Yes.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 13:56 - May 8 with 742 viewsITFC_Forever

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 10:42 - May 8 by satsuma

I spoke to a group of lads who were singing about Justin Fashanu in a pub on Saturday - hard to believe really.

If it was you, how about agreeing with your mates that it's the last time you'll do so and move on?

There was a few singing it in Isaacs on Sunday evening.

To be fair to the players, they, along with everyone else, looked at them in disgust and the perpetrators shut up.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 14:21 - May 8 with 707 viewsCheltenham_Blue

United winner would never have been allowed now.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 14:35 - May 8 with 655 viewsChurchman

I was at the game and could have sworn it finished 1-0 United. Funny thing, memory.

Humes was decent enough, but injury really knocked him back.

With regard to the OP, I fails to amaze me how stupid, unpleasant, narrow, bigoted, Neanderthal, odious some people can be. Drink is no excuse. There is no excuse. The knuckle draggers concerned clearly enjoy the thought of others’ and their relatives pain, mental and/or physical.

They disgust me beyond words.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 15:40 - May 8 with 558 viewsnoggin

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 13:56 - May 8 by ITFC_Forever

There was a few singing it in Isaacs on Sunday evening.

To be fair to the players, they, along with everyone else, looked at them in disgust and the perpetrators shut up.

Wow, at a celebration too. I doubt any of them even remember JF.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 16:55 - May 9 with 380 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 10:42 - May 8 by satsuma

I spoke to a group of lads who were singing about Justin Fashanu in a pub on Saturday - hard to believe really.

If it was you, how about agreeing with your mates that it's the last time you'll do so and move on?

Well done for speaking up. Always hard to do, but it's the only way to a more decent society.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 17:11 - May 9 with 353 viewsHugoagogo_Reborn

Fashanu chants again yesterday on 14:21 - May 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

United winner would never have been allowed now.

Lovely to hear Motty commentating. Miss him. Like how he pronounced d'Avray too.

On the original topic, it's horrible to think people are still singing that song. Regardless of your opinion of homosexually, there's no excuse to be callous and unkind. People can have opinions without ostracizing or intimidating.

But I also think these young men are simply being young men. Plenty of things happen when you are young that, in hindsight, you're not proud of. I hope they come to regret their behaviour one day.
Fashanu chants again yesterday on 17:20 - May 9 with 332 viewsitfc_bucks

One of the greatest sense of shame I carry with me is that I once sang that song.

Modern me is pretty disgusted.

There's just no place for it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024