Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. 23:53 - Dec 10 with 6245 viewsCheltenham_Blue

My job has been under threat for nigh on a year now with zero reassurance, and lots of other things going on too. So maybe that why I found myself welling up over and over again listening to Mark Ashton this week.

His passion for the club, and our owners level headedness has made me fall in love with this club again, when I'd spent a long time wondering why I was bothering with it at all.

Thank you.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 23:59 - Dec 10 with 4214 viewsIllinoisblue

Glad to hear Town are helping you through a tough time. Don’t think it can be underestimated what an uplifting effect a successful club can have. And not just the results. It feels like a rebirth of the club and a relentless push to do more, do better. It’s wonderful.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 00:02 - Dec 11 with 4187 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Talk to a professional.
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 00:04 - Dec 11 with 4184 viewsCheltenham_Blue

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 00:02 - Dec 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Talk to a professional.

Thanks for your time, your help and your kindness.
Appreciated.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 0:24]

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 00:23 - Dec 11 with 4112 viewsRyorry

Really sorry to hear that things have been so bad or you, well done on speaking out.

I was in a bad place in the late 70s/early '80s, laid up with a spinal problem, and was always buoyed up by following our wonderfully successful team at that time, it lifted my spirits, esp in Europe of course.

Wrote to Bobby Robson saying as much & thanking him; had a lovely letter back signed by him personally which remains to this day in my 'treasure box'.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 00:29 - Dec 11 with 4070 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 00:04 - Dec 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

Appreciated.

Well it was just some advice. I really can’t give you any reassurances about your job and I don’t know anything else about your life, this is a random internet message board. Professionals are trained in such matters for people struggling.

Good luck and hope you feel better.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 0:30]
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 01:20 - Dec 11 with 3943 viewsCheltenham_Blue

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 00:29 - Dec 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Well it was just some advice. I really can’t give you any reassurances about your job and I don’t know anything else about your life, this is a random internet message board. Professionals are trained in such matters for people struggling.

Good luck and hope you feel better.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 0:30]

Well, haven’t you come across as a massive tool?
I’ve all the help I need right now, both professional and non professional thank you.

Fk me, let’s hope your mental health never deteriorates. Frankly mate, you’ve always come across as a bit of a cunit and your response here has confirmed it to be so. Just block me and be done.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 1:22]

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 04:54 - Dec 11 with 3773 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 01:20 - Dec 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

I’ve all the help I need right now, both professional and non professional thank you.

Fk me, let’s hope your mental health never deteriorates. Frankly mate, you’ve always come across as a bit of a cunit and your response here has confirmed it to be so. Just block me and be done.

Bloody hell you’ve rather misread that! I wasn’t taking a pop asking you to talk to a professional, that’s literally what the advise would be for anyone who is struggling. Many people have dealt with it and I’m no exception at times, having lost my career for a few years during the pandemic.

Well I’m glad you’ve got the help then.

If you’re going to call me a c*** then I guess I will!
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 5:58]
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 06:39 - Dec 11 with 3588 viewslurcher

I can relate to your situation having been through something similar over the last year. I cried my way through our promotion and resurgence. Your emotions are always going to be nearer the surface now. My advice would be to go and talk to a counselor.
Login to get fewer ads

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 07:01 - Dec 11 with 3523 viewsPendejo

Level the trough

Was going to use mountain but mh is a trough.

Set yourself small short term goals and congratulate yourself each time you achieve them, should help create a positive mindset. With which prepare for the worst; write yourself an action plan of "this or that" happens.

I have gone from being a high earner in sales to homeless, unemployed with a foreign wife and 4 month old child, and now 22 years later can face any employment uncertainty with PMA.

The unsaid issues... feel free to pm for some specific support. There are some things you simply can't spin but you can find a coping mechanism.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 07:38 - Dec 11 with 3391 viewsstickymockwell

Hi Cheltenham

Work pressure and uncertainty is the worst. I lost my business 10 years ago. I just scrapped not going bankrupt and losing my house by the skin of my teeth. It left me a nervous wreck and an alcoholic. Everyone deals with it differently but my only advice would be to try and get out of the job as soon as you can. If you can find other work even if it's for less money, the relief of security of knowing that you'll be getting the pay packet is immense.
Nothing will improve on that front until you're out of it.
All the best bro

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 08:21 - Dec 11 with 3227 viewsmrshallisfit

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 00:04 - Dec 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

Appreciated.

Joe Joey Junior. On the cutting edge. Doing cutting edge things. In the go getting post-Thatcher run it up your flagpole American go get them. Blah. Blah. Blah.
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 08:37 - Dec 11 with 3142 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Sorry to hear about these pressures, and the effect that they are having on you.

Rather than "Talk to a professional" I would say the best advice is "Keep talking"- to a few different people, and find those who are most helpful. Whose company leaves you feeling better about yourself..? Who doesn't make you dwell on things, but instead is able to lift your horizons?

Your current situation is highly stressful, and is largely beyond your control. One facet of depression is when things are beyond our control and we hold that sense of powerlessness inwardly. Another is when we are only able to focus on ourselves.

So, for the first facet I would suggest that you find ways to become active rather than passive in this situation. Take as much control as you can. Get your CV up to date now. Start looking at the job market. Think about your transferable skills and how you will spin your achievements.

Ask the "life change" questions: What motivates me? What are my priorities? What have I always wanted to do but haven't ever done? Where have I always wanted to live, but never had the impetus to make the leap?

For the second, the key is finding those people who lift you out of yourself, who help you expand your horizons and who inspire you.

Sounds like Mark Ashton is one of those! That's great! Now find others. It could be authors or podcasts or comedians or whoever. Surround yourself with people who inspire you. And make time for the people who genuinely care about you and won't be emotional vampires if you are feeling down, draining you further.

One final little tip: there is very little sunlight at the moment. Consider taking a very strong vitamin D3 supplement. I find it makes a difference to my ability to be positive.
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 08:50 - Dec 11 with 3076 viewsArnoldMoorhen

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 07:01 - Dec 11 by Pendejo

Level the trough

Was going to use mountain but mh is a trough.

Set yourself small short term goals and congratulate yourself each time you achieve them, should help create a positive mindset. With which prepare for the worst; write yourself an action plan of "this or that" happens.

I have gone from being a high earner in sales to homeless, unemployed with a foreign wife and 4 month old child, and now 22 years later can face any employment uncertainty with PMA.

The unsaid issues... feel free to pm for some specific support. There are some things you simply can't spin but you can find a coping mechanism.

Nicely put!

Maybe you're not such a pendejo after all! ;-)
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 08:52 - Dec 11 with 3073 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Been in a similar sort of place so totally understand. I'm freelance so my job is constantly under threat, probably wasn't the wisest career path for the mental health! Lady Dollers has been out of work for a year, so EVERYTHING is on me, which is bluddy scary. Been worrying I might lose our flat in the new year but at least the work's picked up a bit for now.

But yes, keep talking (doesn't have to be a professional). Actually I was listening to a Dr. Michael Mosley podcast on the Beeb the other day where he was talking to a scientist-guy who said talking to strangers actually boosts your happiness (among many other tips - might be worth checking it out).

And yeah, the success if ITFC at the moment really does keep you going.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 08:53 - Dec 11 with 3045 viewsWickets

Best of luck to you bud .
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 08:58 - Dec 11 with 3004 viewsBuhrer

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 01:20 - Dec 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

When we are looking through our scanner darkly, let's be kind to others. His advice was good, though looking harshly worded and dismissive. I hope you are better soon, kicking the black dog myself.
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 09:31 - Dec 11 with 2903 viewsEwan_Oozami

"I Want You To Deal With Your Problems By Becoming Rich!"

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 09:36 - Dec 11 with 2882 viewsKeno

Nothing really to add Chelts except many of us have been there so you are not alone

sent with much love

PS and I also found what MA was sating a little moving

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 09:37 - Dec 11 with 2871 viewsKeno

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 07:38 - Dec 11 by stickymockwell

Hi Cheltenham

Work pressure and uncertainty is the worst. I lost my business 10 years ago. I just scrapped not going bankrupt and losing my house by the skin of my teeth. It left me a nervous wreck and an alcoholic. Everyone deals with it differently but my only advice would be to try and get out of the job as soon as you can. If you can find other work even if it's for less money, the relief of security of knowing that you'll be getting the pay packet is immense.
Nothing will improve on that front until you're out of it.
All the best bro

STICKY!!!!!

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 09:48 - Dec 11 with 2808 viewsBiGDonnie

Hope your better asap. A win tomorrow to put us top of the table might help.

COYBs

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 09:50 - Dec 11 with 2779 viewsBluesky

The club's success has shone lights in all sorts of places for many people. Never underestimate the positive effects of your team doing well. I'm so sorry to hear of your situation but take heart that if things can go well for the town they can just as easily go well again for you in time - and they will. I've got the T-shirt.
Try to stay positive (always easier said than done but take it a day at a time. Maybe there is a better job waiting for you round the corner. I found one observation very helpful once - "Your time of maximum uncertainty is also your time of maximum potential". Keep trudging on, mate - it will come good.
My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 09:57 - Dec 11 with 2699 viewsFrimleyBlue

For someone talking about their own mental health struggles. You clearly don't care about anyone else's with the personal insults you're happy to pop up around the place.

Have a think. Maybe you're not the only one.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 09:59 - Dec 11 with 2716 viewsblueasfook

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 04:54 - Dec 11 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Bloody hell you’ve rather misread that! I wasn’t taking a pop asking you to talk to a professional, that’s literally what the advise would be for anyone who is struggling. Many people have dealt with it and I’m no exception at times, having lost my career for a few years during the pandemic.

Well I’m glad you’ve got the help then.

If you’re going to call me a c*** then I guess I will!
[Post edited 11 Dec 2023 5:58]

Didn't come across to me like you were being a c***. "Talk to a professional" is good advice I think!

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 10:05 - Dec 11 with 2663 viewsgiant_stow

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 09:57 - Dec 11 by FrimleyBlue

For someone talking about their own mental health struggles. You clearly don't care about anyone else's with the personal insults you're happy to pop up around the place.

Have a think. Maybe you're not the only one.

Hey chill fella, Im sure Joe Joe meant well as did Cheltenham. You should all have a group hug now.... go on.... there! Better!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 10:15 - Dec 11 with 2601 viewsblueasfook

My mental health has been in my boots for a long time. on 08:52 - Dec 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

Been in a similar sort of place so totally understand. I'm freelance so my job is constantly under threat, probably wasn't the wisest career path for the mental health! Lady Dollers has been out of work for a year, so EVERYTHING is on me, which is bluddy scary. Been worrying I might lose our flat in the new year but at least the work's picked up a bit for now.

But yes, keep talking (doesn't have to be a professional). Actually I was listening to a Dr. Michael Mosley podcast on the Beeb the other day where he was talking to a scientist-guy who said talking to strangers actually boosts your happiness (among many other tips - might be worth checking it out).

And yeah, the success if ITFC at the moment really does keep you going.

Keep talking - wise words from David Gilmour and Prof. Stephen Hawking...

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024