Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? 12:09 - Dec 15 with 874 viewsIllinoisblue

Prompted by seeing this

Would have been 95 or 96 for me I think.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 12:11 - Dec 15 with 849 viewsWD19

Autumn of 1995 when I went to University.
Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 12:37 - Dec 15 with 777 viewsKeno

oh good question

I worked for an insurance company that in 1990 had an internal mail system called "Host" that may have just been a glorified text message service.

I would guess proper Interweb email would be 92/93

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 12:41 - Dec 15 with 753 viewsITFC_Forever

Same, at uni and in the third year, so must have been 95-96.

Can remember the first websites listed in the likes of FHM - they were all computer code to get to a sketchy picture of Gillian Anderson.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 13:08 - Dec 15 with 706 viewsBasuco

April 95 for me, I changed jobs and Emails became an every day thing.
Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 13:17 - Dec 15 with 661 viewsgainsboroughblue

Probably around 2001. On a ntl set top box with a cumbersome keyboard. Plain text, no ability to send images or links!

I was late to the party for most tech related things. It was the year before that, I finally relented and got a mobile phone and I was almost 30 before I got a PC.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 13:18 - Dec 15 with 661 viewsbluelagos

So I started work proper in Sept 92 and we defo had our own computers, but know they didn't have the internet. They had two internet connected computers in the dining room that we could use for surfing at lunch time.

Reckon email would have come in fairly soon after I started, wouldn't get a personal one for a few years yet.

I do remember using the fax and having some muppet put the wrong number in. They would redial every few minutes so you could quite easily get a call from a fax machine every 5 mins for a whole day. Learned to phone the other offices if this was happening - to check they put the right number in...

Also - had a pager - which would beep meaning that I had a message to pick up. No mobile phone for me til '99 - and that was a brick. But I could sit in Germany (where I was working) - dial into the mainframe system and do an email update (out and in) but also could surf too.

So I genuinely had mobile internet coverage (on my laptop) from 99 that was quite cutting edge at the time.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 13:39 - Dec 15 with 628 viewsEJP

1989 - as a 16 year old starting my first job as a trainee IBM AS/400 operator.

My first proper personal e-mail address was megamelt@aol.com (care of my liking of the Megamelt sandwich at Dennys) in 1995.

And i got into GMail quick enough to have my actual name as my e-mail address!
Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 14:42 - Dec 15 with 562 viewsIllinoisblue

Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 13:39 - Dec 15 by EJP

1989 - as a 16 year old starting my first job as a trainee IBM AS/400 operator.

My first proper personal e-mail address was megamelt@aol.com (care of my liking of the Megamelt sandwich at Dennys) in 1995.

And i got into GMail quick enough to have my actual name as my e-mail address!

+1 for megamelt name!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Derby game distraction thread - when did you send your first email? on 14:51 - Dec 15 with 549 viewsRobTheMonk

I can remember being about 13 and being in MSN messenger with people who played Delta Force 2. Would email them from time to time with regards to setting up an online squad haha!

My Mum spoke to them once over voice chat and thought I was playing with 'a bunch of paedos' as they were calling me 'Sexy Bob'. I had to explain to her that that was my in game name hahaha!
[Post edited 15 Dec 2023 14:51]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024