Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's starting 11 23:01 - Dec 16 with 1069 viewsFrimleyBlue

A sign of how good KMs coaching is. Or a sign we really didn't get any of our main targets in the summer.

Genuinely nothing to do with result. We smashed them and should have won.

I just find it amazing that apart from hladky. That was the same side that beat Exeter in league 1 playing in a derby in the championship..

There can't be much history of a promoted side playing a champ side in December with something which was a league 1 lineup only 7 months ago.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2023 23:03]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Today's starting 11 on 09:11 - Dec 17 with 861 viewsDJR

That was my thought too yesterday.

It's a mark of McKenna that he saw in those players the potential they had.

And as regards signings, I wonder if we wanted to see how we got on before Christmas before (relatively) "splashing the cash", just as we did last season.

Whatever the case, if we were to be promoted, I think we would need to strengthen much more to compete, so doing some of that strengthening in the January transfer window would seem sensible.
Today's starting 11 on 09:17 - Dec 17 with 838 viewsHerbivore

Worth noting our January signings were all Championship players when we signed them though. Luongo has bags of experience at this level, Hirst, Clarke, and Broadhead have also played a fair bit of football at this level too. We were very much bringing players in with a view to being Championship ready. I think where I've been pleasantly surprised is with the likes of Burns and Burgess, who aren't youngsters, showing so much improvement having played very little football above League 1 level.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2023 9:35]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Today's starting 11 on 09:28 - Dec 17 with 794 viewsLeoMuff

I think as others have said we brought them hoping they were championship ready, but good coaching and keeping a settled side have taken us to the next level.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Today's starting 11 on 09:29 - Dec 17 with 788 viewsWickets

Thats an amazing point that i had not realised . Of course depth 2 players to cover each position is important and we are well on that road . Hirst is now our player of course so that is a big step forward and progress may be a tiny bit easier now we are doing well so the next couple of windows will be interesting .
Today's starting 11 on 10:30 - Dec 17 with 668 viewsCanadianBlue

Technically and physically, the difference between Championship and League 2 is fairly minimal.

The difference between a Championship player and a League 2 players is mainly in mental skills such as how they receive and adapt to coaching, their football intelligence on the pitch, and their resilience to adversity.

McKenna is obviously a fantastic coach in terms of system development and having players embrace that. I'd say our recruitment philosophy is on obtaining intelligence footballers who can be molded into a system vs technically gifted players.

I think back to the likes of JET who had technical skills in abundance but would fade out of games or leave us exposed. I suspect the reason we didn't push harder for Celina is the same reason.
Today's starting 11 on 10:57 - Dec 17 with 592 viewsStokieBlue

We definitely needed Hirst in the summer who must have been the main target.

Without him we simply aren't the same team. Wasn't his best match yesterday but he was still a total handful for their defence.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Today's starting 11 on 11:32 - Dec 17 with 534 viewsWickets

Today's starting 11 on 10:57 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

We definitely needed Hirst in the summer who must have been the main target.

Without him we simply aren't the same team. Wasn't his best match yesterday but he was still a total handful for their defence.

SB

Yes he is great for us first goal again yesterday .
Today's starting 11 on 11:57 - Dec 17 with 488 views_clive_baker_

That kind of works on the assumption that our squad was a ‘league 1 squad’ last season, which it patently wasn’t, particularly in the 2nd half in anything but league status. A full season in L1 and we would comfortably get 100+ points, probably plenty more. We had a few cup games last season against Championship opposition, hammered Rotherham and even against then runaway leaders Burnley held our own over 2 games only losing in extra time. The form we showed in the final 3rd was completely unprecedented at that level, we weren’t a 78 points and win the playoffs proposition a la a Peterborough type. It’s the same team from L1, but not many regularly win 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 6-0 etc at that level.

I don’t think anyone expected us to be averaging the points we are this season, but we were always going to be a top half side.

So I think it’s a bit of both, definitely KM getting the best of our our group, but also it’s a group that was far too good for L1 anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024