Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fake Pressing by Ladapo 11:16 - Dec 30 with 1510 viewsAndrewRatcliffITFC

Virtually all of Ladapo's presses were pretend where he just move closer to the opposition and then relaxed at the last second rather than commiting to the press. I understand about holding a player up zonally but that far up the pitch the press needs to be about regaining the ball or forcing the opposition into an error. It was a poor performance , not sure he will be here come the end of Jan.
Fake Pressing by Ladapo on 11:27 - Dec 30 with 1406 viewsEdwardStone

I was willing Freddie to magic a goal, he has managed to get some goals from almost impossible positions before....alas, not last night.

I think that his time with us is drawing to a close
Fake Pressing by Ladapo on 11:59 - Dec 30 with 1287 viewsjimmyvet

Seriously get a life the bloke has hardly kicked a ball in months and is thrown in at last minute due to injuries and he tried his best and worked hard. Some supporters we have are completely deluded and daft and your one of them.
Fake Pressing by Ladapo on 13:04 - Dec 30 with 1110 viewsNutkins_Return

I thought he had a shocker but this is unfair. You can't sprint down every sideways pass. He's got to conserve some energy and balance that with applying some pressure and closing off angles etc.

Generally you'll only push a hard press on a mistake or where everyone together can force the issue (where they are caught in a corner etc). The opposition, like us want to suck is forward to create space so there is a balance.

Tough one for Ladapo in a side with loads of changes and having not played much. Really poor night for him though unfortunately. His confidence would have been so different hand that effort not bounce up and over by a foot off Begovic.
Fake Pressing by Ladapo on 17:03 - Dec 30 with 853 viewsSheffordBlue

'Real' pressing is done as an entire attacking unit and usually in response to a particular trigger e.g. the ball being played to someone who is weak on one foot or a wide player who has fewer passing options from their position. Particularly in the first halt when Humphreys was sat much deeper than Davis usually is there wasn't a lot of effective pressing.

Most of what Freddie was doing was just getting QPR to get on with playing. He doesn't have the natural pace to close down effectively by himself in the way that Hirst or Jackson can do and then get back into position.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Fake Pressing by Ladapo on 17:09 - Dec 30 with 813 viewsSimonds92

I've had the same criticism of him for a long time not just last night. Remember Peter Crouch discussing it on his podcast how there were certain players making little sprints without any intent of getting the ball because it makes their stats better on their monitors. I know he's not the quickest but there's never any real intensity to his press.
Fake Pressing by Ladapo on 17:24 - Dec 30 with 747 viewsBigCommon

I think Freddy "reacts" rather than "anticipates". Couple that with a lack of acceleration , and he looks a yard of it sometimes..
I still think he makes an effort, but lacks that zip that can really pressure a defender/keeper into a mistake or loose ball..
Using your brain to anticipate a situation is a massive part of a good press. Knowing when and where to go, instead of just reacting to it. Gets you half a yard.
If you watch Hirst/Chaplin for example, they're watching the keepers body shape or defenders body shape before they've released the ball and try to press them into indecision.. Freddy waits until its released and then chases, too late, imo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024