Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leif Davis 12:13 - Jan 4 with 4431 viewsurbanblue

I've been thinking of something the last few days which is ... would you accept an offer of 10 to 15 million for Davis if it meant having the extra money to bring in 3 quality additions.

My head explodes thinking about it and I just don't know how I'd feel ...

Thoughts?
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:14]
Leif Davis on 12:14 - Jan 4 with 3444 viewsZx1988

Did we ever get chapter and verse on whether it would be possible to make those signings anyway, whilst keeping hold of Leif, and then selling him in the summer to make up the shortfall if we fail to get promoted?

Does that work within FFP, or is it wishful thinking?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Leif Davis on 12:14 - Jan 4 with 3447 viewsStokieBlue

10m is far too light.

Better off trying to strengthen and then hope to sell in the summer if we don't make it.

I think the last few matches have shown just how vital his attacking threat on the left is to our play.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Leif Davis on 12:14 - Jan 4 with 3441 viewsSomethingBlue

Nope, for one thing it should be £20m – for another he's essential to us and the source of so many goals. It's a recalibration we will have to make in the summer if we don't go up but to force it on ourselves now would be too much, I don't think any number of January signings can offset that.
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:15]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Leif Davis on 12:15 - Jan 4 with 3430 viewsStokieBlue

Leif Davis on 12:14 - Jan 4 by Zx1988

Did we ever get chapter and verse on whether it would be possible to make those signings anyway, whilst keeping hold of Leif, and then selling him in the summer to make up the shortfall if we fail to get promoted?

Does that work within FFP, or is it wishful thinking?

That does work (as Phil confirmed) but with the caveat that he doesn't get injured before then and thus unsellable at that point.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Leif Davis on 12:18 - Jan 4 with 3344 viewschicoazul

Weird how he is injured at the moment….Just when the window opens.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Leif Davis on 12:19 - Jan 4 with 3318 viewsGeoffSentence

Leif Davis on 12:18 - Jan 4 by chicoazul

Haha! I am sure that same observation comes up every year when someone is injured at the beginning of January.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Leif Davis on 12:20 - Jan 4 with 3298 viewsTractorCam

Absolutely not, look how much we have missed him the last couple of games. We would not entertain such a low offer.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Leif Davis on 12:20 - Jan 4 with 3275 viewsTractorCam

It's a conspiracy!

Login to get fewer ads

Leif Davis on 12:20 - Jan 4 with 3268 viewsBseaBlue

Bit of a gamble but I would imagine his value significantly increases with promotion. I am not sure it would decrease that much should we keep him and sell him in the summer, should we remain in this division.

I think there will be enough room for bringing in who we want without having to sell our most valuable asset.
Leif Davis on 12:21 - Jan 4 with 3235 viewsNthQldITFC

Leif Davis on 12:15 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

That does work (as Phil confirmed) but with the caveat that he doesn't get injured before then and thus unsellable at that point.

SB

I think that's a gamble we have to take, given that we have other assets (including any coming in) who are likely to be worth decent money come the end of the season, given the coaching they will receive and the league position the club will end up in (even if not promoted).

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Leif Davis on 12:22 - Jan 4 with 3225 views_clive_baker_

The Keiron Dyer conundrum. Although not sure we really had much choice in that one.
Leif Davis on 12:22 - Jan 4 with 3217 viewsbluesbrothers

Separately, do we know how long he's out for yet?
Leif Davis on 12:22 - Jan 4 with 3214 viewsurbanblue

Exactly what is playing on my mind ... I think my post is my trying to come to terms with the direction my thoughts are taking me.
Leif Davis on 12:27 - Jan 4 with 3084 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

If the offer was disgusting we'd accept it. We'd recruit well to replace though, Ashton has experience in trading like this just look at Webster that he basically bought for a steal from us, and then got a much bigger fee from Brighton for, whereas had we hung on a year we'd have also got a bigger fee for him, but Marcus Evans for a wealthy man wasn't very savvy in the footballing world and never appointed anyone who was.
Leif Davis on 12:30 - Jan 4 with 3039 viewsDinnernotTea

Yes without a doubt. Burley had to do this every year in the 90s, sell before buy. With FPP seeming quite strict at this level no reason why same shouldn't be expected of McKenna.

Three brilliant players are better than one Leif Davis.

McGreal
J. Wright
Reuser

As a trio were better for the team than Dyer.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Leif Davis on 12:31 - Jan 4 with 3015 viewsHerbivore

He's worth more than £10m-15m I would say so I would not be tempted to take that for him. His worth to us is also significantly greater than that, he's integral to how we play. He's someone we might lose in the summer even if we get promoted and that's something we'll have to live with but I'd rather keep him for now and massively increase our chances of success this season, the caveat being that if we got offered silly money (£25m+) then I struggle to see how we'd turn that down.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Leif Davis on 12:36 - Jan 4 with 2915 viewsDarkBrandon

Leif Davis on 12:15 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

SB

And everyone will know we are in the “desperate to sell” state, meaning we’d struggle to get as high a price for him as if we hadn’t spent all the money already
Leif Davis on 12:37 - Jan 4 with 2902 viewsTractorCam

Leif Davis on 12:30 - Jan 4 by DinnernotTea

Yes without a doubt. Burley had to do this every year in the 90s, sell before buy. With FPP seeming quite strict at this level no reason why same shouldn't be expected of McKenna.

Three brilliant players are better than one Leif Davis.

McGreal
J. Wright
Reuser

As a trio were better for the team than Dyer.

But in this climate, £10m is no good. Ashton got Brighton to pay £25m for Adam Webster, a centre back for a mid table side. Davis is a left back of a team chasing promotion and has the most assists in the league (maybe), meaning he is worth way more than that.

Leif Davis on 12:39 - Jan 4 with 2876 viewsurbanblue

Leif Davis on 12:31 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

He's worth more than £10m-15m I would say so I would not be tempted to take that for him. His worth to us is also significantly greater than that, he's integral to how we play. He's someone we might lose in the summer even if we get promoted and that's something we'll have to live with but I'd rather keep him for now and massively increase our chances of success this season, the caveat being that if we got offered silly money (£25m+) then I struggle to see how we'd turn that down.

Yes, of course, his worth to us is massive but we also need a top class striker or two and it could be argued that that is more important especially if we are struggling to get the names we want.

Say Fulham offered Stansfield as part of a deal for Davis for example. It could be the only thing on the table for us.

My mind is working overtime I know ...
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:40]
Leif Davis on 12:39 - Jan 4 with 2872 viewsSitfcB

Leif Davis on 12:22 - Jan 4 by bluesbrothers

“We don’t know,” he said. “He’s got a calf strain, so he wasn’t particularly close for today. It’s not a huge tear but whether it’s one week, two weeks, three weeks, we can’t say at this time really.”

That’s what McKenna said after Stoke.

I reckon he’ll be back for the Sunderland game, hopefully.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Leif Davis on 12:42 - Jan 4 with 2845 views_clive_baker_

Stick a zero on the end and we'll talk. Maybe.
Leif Davis on 12:43 - Jan 4 with 2822 viewsDarkBrandon

No.

We’d have to spend a good chunk to replace Davis, and we’d end up with a player not as good as him.

We’d then have to upgrade another position, to compensate for our side being weakened by not having the best full-back in the league.

So two signings might get us back to where we are. I don’t think it is enough.

I don’t think we need much more this window. Obviously we have Hirst and Scarlett to replace.do that and we are probably ok. I think we should be able to get in one good striker permanently, and a Scarlett-like loanee without having to sell anyone
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:44]
Leif Davis on 12:45 - Jan 4 with 2791 viewsDanJam90

I think we would accept it given the profit we would be making, would be handy to have this cash considering the FFP constraints. Its worth noting Djed Spence sold to Spurs for £15.8m up to £20m, Leif's output at both level's is considerably better/they are a similar age so you would think it would be closer to £20m.
Leif Davis on 12:48 - Jan 4 with 2749 viewsusm

I suspect if the 'right' offer comes in for any of our players they will be sold.
It all depends on your view of what is the 'right' offer.
And we are fortunate in being in a position to wait until the right offer does come in.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Leif Davis on 12:52 - Jan 4 with 2706 viewschicoazul

Leif Davis on 12:22 - Jan 4 by bluesbrothers

My guess would be almost exactly all of January.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024