Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forced to sell? 10:30 - Jan 21 with 3838 viewsWickets

Read Cardiff after Axel and West ham after Leif and I am sure there will be other interests as we are obviously looking to buy and have to be aware of FFP , will we have to sell ?
[Post edited 21 Jan 11:31]
Forced to sell? on 14:40 - Jan 21 with 313 viewswrightsrightglove

Forced to sell? on 14:32 - Jan 21 by Vegtablue

Some may be in breach but in other cases it's player sales. Boro made net transfer sales of £15M last season and £2M this season. Stoke made net sales of £17M last season. West Brom made net sales of £9M this season.

I don't think we have metres of headroom tbh, my hunch based on 21/22 accounts and the strikers we've been linked with, but there's clearly money left for fees of £1.5M to be reported.

Thanks, that makes sense. So effectively, every club without parachute payments has to be a selling club (“player trading club”) in order to stay within FFP. I suppose that makes McKenna even more valuable, if possible, to the club because he’s going to need to be turning our £1.5million purchases into £15million players consistently if we want to be successful.
My thoughts on 14:43 - Jan 21 with 306 viewsReusersTown

My thoughts on 11:00 - Jan 21 by unstableblue

Town are a different club now, with a proper strategy and mission.

We want to get to the Premier League and be sustainable in there.

So player trading is all based on that.

Is Leif essential to creating a team strong enough for promotion, and a player good enough to play at Premier level - yes

How much would a like for like replacement once in the premier league cost? A very significant fee

If an offer comes in - well is it over that replacement value (silly money)? Can we guarantee a new replacement player who has the potential to be as good or better than Leif? Do the funds allow us to fill missing squad places with quality (a la Dyer and 3 players + Stewart).

As for Axel we only have a year left on his contract (if we take up the option), it looks like he’s out of his injury, but it was very serious and long term, so other clubs may be cautious for any significant fee? But again apply the same logic as Leif, e.g. Is he good enough to play in the Premier League for us? Can he create funds for other positions as we have Wolf?

I think both will stay, as McKenna will want strong back up in all positions with Axel. And Leif is a project/spine essential that you build the team around.

It’s all very systematic now and in McKenna and Ashton we trust.

Davis May garner a ridiculous fee, which may tip the analysis though. His assists ridiculous.

I think the challenge Town have is that the parachute clubs are way ahead in terms of funds. McKenna coaching is filling the gap. But as Saints are showing and with Hirst injury we are right on the max. FFP - even with the excellent revenue this year - means we aren’t able to go and pay the £4-6m we now need to for a new striker. So it’s just going to require some clever business - like we’ve had with Lunongo.

I do worry about the FFP to parachute gap though… McKenna could at some point realise it may be insurmountable despite everything the club is doing.

I’d love to see Ashton’s excel and be a fly on a wall on a call with the US. I’d love to see a £4-6m purchase those window - some game changing quality. But not sure the maths work out.

Also with the new vision, mission, strategy and objectives - we simply aren’t going to pay the wrong money for the wrong person - we may have to wait, which will frustrate some. It’s a barren market for the type of striker we need.

Anyway Hope ramblings make sense.
[Post edited 21 Jan 12:46]

There is no guarantee on your final point at all, some of the largest clubs in the world with the recruitment teams to match get their big transfers wrong sometimes. Which is why I'm fine with our approach and where we're at, and that is without factoring in all the other implications to the team dynamic etc... I honestly don't think we needed a big transfer, it's depth that has cost us, without the injury to Hirst we'd most likely have beaten Stoke and QPR and be 6 points clear still.
Forced to sell? on 16:44 - Jan 21 with 237 viewsVic

Can’t see us in a situation where we’re are ‘forced’ to sell - but I very much see a situation where it would be considered a wise thing in the player trading scenario

Let’s say we get offered £15m for Leif and MK considers we have adequate cover at LB. That £15m would probably enable us to buy 2, possibly 3 quality players that strengthen the team overall.

I’m expecting that this is how it will work. As others have said, it very similar to how it was in Burleys time.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Forced to sell? on 17:02 - Jan 21 with 214 viewsVegtablue

Forced to sell? on 14:40 - Jan 21 by wrightsrightglove

Thanks, that makes sense. So effectively, every club without parachute payments has to be a selling club (“player trading club”) in order to stay within FFP. I suppose that makes McKenna even more valuable, if possible, to the club because he’s going to need to be turning our £1.5million purchases into £15million players consistently if we want to be successful.

That's it, consistently finding and nurturing underrated talent, or producing our own, in order to close the funding gap with parachute clubs until one season we crack the formula on the pitch. Much easier said than done, with many Championship clubs now limping along on account of reinvesting their transfer windfalls poorly. A few have invested so poorly that they're in breach of FFP purely based on wages and have no budget for transfer fees, which makes it all the harder to capture underrated players. The longer you're in the division, the more likely you are to become stuck with performances that lag behind wage bills.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024