Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2024 Book Thread 08:05 - Jan 30 with 1747 viewsRobTheMonk

I'm currently reading the first in the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connolly. Enjoying it immensely after being unsure of it for the first 50 or so pages.

Also have started Wheel of Time book 13. Two books left to go now and it's been a mixed ride to be honest.

Another series I've been enjoying is CJ Box's Joe Pickett series. I've read the first two over Christmas and thought they were excellent. They're about a game warden set in rural Wyoming. I get a real sense of escapism reading these.
2024 Book Thread on 08:23 - Jan 30 with 1710 viewsSteve_M

I recently read 'The Flow' which is a lovely book about rivers, ecology and life. Although underpinned by a tragedy it's also quite life-affirming.

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/flow-9781472977397/

And I'm now reading 'The Battle of London' which is a social history of the blitz. It's really interesting and very readable, definitely a different approach to the subject.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/420054/the-battle-of-london-1939-45-by-white-jer

Pre-war projections were that bombing could cause 30,000 deaths per day in London, that the actual impact was far less than that apparently made the constant raids easier to deal with than the dear beforehand.

What there hadn't been though was enough planning for what happened to those who were bombed out or had to move temporarily due to unexploded bombs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

2024 Book Thread on 11:34 - Jan 30 with 1610 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Can't comment on the book but love the series on Prime

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

2024 Book Thread on 11:52 - Jan 30 with 1584 viewsCoastalblue

Just recently started Normandy '44 by James Holland which I recieved for Christmas. As per normal with Holland's books it's very readable and provides a concise but thoughtful view of what happened, I am learning a lot and enjoying it.

I like the look of that and will pick up a copy Steve.

Rob I think the WOT experience is a unique one, I struggled with some of the later books and it felt something of a trudge, but found the last couple of books and indeed completing it gave me a real sense of satisfaction and now look back at it as an enjobale experience that I'm glad I had, even if it got a little challenging at times.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

2024 Book Thread on 12:13 - Jan 30 with 1559 viewsGodzilla

2024 Book Thread on 08:23 - Jan 30 by Steve_M

I recently read 'The Flow' which is a lovely book about rivers, ecology and life. Although underpinned by a tragedy it's also quite life-affirming.

And I'm now reading 'The Battle of London' which is a social history of the blitz. It's really interesting and very readable, definitely a different approach to the subject.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/420054/the-battle-of-london-1939-45-by-white-jer

Pre-war projections were that bombing could cause 30,000 deaths per day in London, that the actual impact was far less than that apparently made the constant raids easier to deal with than the dear beforehand.

What there hadn't been though was enough planning for what happened to those who were bombed out or had to move temporarily due to unexploded bombs.

Like the look of 'The Flow'. On a similar vein, but with trees as the focus 'The Overstory' by Richard Powers is good, if not already read. Different track, but I really liked Bob Mortimer's 'And Away' autobiography,
2024 Book Thread on 12:15 - Jan 30 with 1553 viewsRobTheMonk

2024 Book Thread on 11:52 - Jan 30 by Coastalblue

Just recently started Normandy '44 by James Holland which I recieved for Christmas. As per normal with Holland's books it's very readable and provides a concise but thoughtful view of what happened, I am learning a lot and enjoying it.

I like the look of that and will pick up a copy Steve.

Rob I think the WOT experience is a unique one, I struggled with some of the later books and it felt something of a trudge, but found the last couple of books and indeed completing it gave me a real sense of satisfaction and now look back at it as an enjobale experience that I'm glad I had, even if it got a little challenging at times.

I loved the first few books and then started to struggle with the rest until Sanderson took over with book 12.

That may sound odd to some people, but I adore the world and lore and *some* of the characters. Thom and Mat especially are great.

It's a series that was in desperate need of a brutal editor.
2024 Book Thread on 12:15 - Jan 30 with 1552 viewsfactual_blue

Currently on Death's End, the final book in the trilogy by Liu Cixin.

Next up is The Restless Republic which is the history of the tumultuous English Civil War period. In a splendid bit of nominative determinism, the author is Dr Anna Keay. (Think about it...)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

2024 Book Thread on 12:16 - Jan 30 with 1548 viewsyorkshireblue

I love the Bosch series of books, whilst some are obviously better than others they are all good wihtout the dip you often see in on-going series (Looking at you Lee Child....).

If you plan is to read them order, make sure to take into account some of the Renee Ballard and Lincoln Lawyer books (other MC Characters) where Bosch is heavily featured - some are joint Ballard/Bosch books.
2024 Book Thread on 12:32 - Jan 30 with 1516 viewsGeoffSentence

Currently reading and enjoying this

An unusual mix of fiction and history, sort of a fictionalised account of how The Black Death affected Walsham-Le-Willows, based on historical records and with each chapter fronted by historical notes on what follws.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

2024 Book Thread on 12:40 - Jan 30 with 1498 viewsSikamikanico

Currently reading the first book in The Chronicles of St Mary's by Jodi Taylor called "Just one Damned Thing After Another" which is about a group of time travelling historians.

Found the series after finding a book from the Time Police spin off series in The Works for 99p in a sale.

First finished book of the year was "Holly" by Stephen King. Not his best or worst book.

Trying to read more this year but already behind the target I set myself of 2.5 books per month.
2024 Book Thread on 12:53 - Jan 30 with 1473 viewsRobTheMonk

2024 Book Thread on 12:16 - Jan 30 by yorkshireblue

I love the Bosch series of books, whilst some are obviously better than others they are all good wihtout the dip you often see in on-going series (Looking at you Lee Child....).

If you plan is to read them order, make sure to take into account some of the Renee Ballard and Lincoln Lawyer books (other MC Characters) where Bosch is heavily featured - some are joint Ballard/Bosch books.

I've already checked out the timeline order on Connolly's website haha!
2024 Book Thread on 12:58 - Jan 30 with 1458 viewsurbanblue

2024 Book Thread on 12:16 - Jan 30 by yorkshireblue

I started reading the Bosch Series many, many, years ago doing one or two a yearin between various other Genres and books. All after reading 'The Poet' which was fantastic. It turned into reading Michael Connelly's books in order. The thing is it's been a few years now and I've forgotten which one I'm up to along with the ongoing back stories of the characters.

In the same way over the years I've thoroughly enjoyed the Gabriel Allon novels by Daniel Silva where I am also half way through the series. The thing is, in the light of current events, I don't think I can bring myself to read any more.
[Post edited 30 Jan 13:01]
2024 Book Thread on 13:11 - Jan 30 with 1421 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This, which is very good if you're into all things creative...

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

2024 Book Thread on 17:02 - Jan 30 with 1341 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just started CS Lewis' Space Trilogy.

Finished Primo Levi's If This is a Man and The Truce. Certainly recommend those.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

2024 Book Thread on 19:13 - Jan 30 with 1279 viewsDaninthecampo

Bosch is a good TV series too

Personally I'm a non fiction reader, currently enjoying Simon Reeve Journeys to impossible places
2024 Book Thread on 03:21 - Jan 31 with 1167 viewsTownTilIDie

Connelly is really good, I've enjoyed that Bosch series too. Wheel of Time is such an epic undertaking, hope you enjoy the finale. And I'll have to check out those Joe Pickett books, they sound right up my alley with the rural setting. Always looking for new series to check out.
2024 Book Thread on 09:20 - Jan 31 with 1100 viewsKeno

2024 Book Thread on 17:02 - Jan 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Just started CS Lewis' Space Trilogy.

Finished Primo Levi's If This is a Man and The Truce. Certainly recommend those.

Id not heard of the CS Lewis trilogy so just downloaded that

If anyone wants a more local crime series the Hidden Norfolk books by JM Dalgleish set in North Norfolk are worth a try

https://jmdalgliesh.com/hidden-norfolk/

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

2024 Book Thread on 09:30 - Jan 31 with 1082 viewsBluesky

I love the Bosch stories - and Lincoln Lawyer and Rene Ballard ones too. You will probably enjoy some of Baldacci's characters too. Another character I love (without the Reacher type "dips") is Joe Pike created by Robert Crais.
2024 Book Thread on 09:44 - Jan 31 with 1055 viewsRobTheMonk

2024 Book Thread on 09:30 - Jan 31 by Bluesky

I love the Bosch stories - and Lincoln Lawyer and Rene Ballard ones too. You will probably enjoy some of Baldacci's characters too. Another character I love (without the Reacher type "dips") is Joe Pike created by Robert Crais.

I've nearly finished The Black Echo now. Loved it. It's one of those books where I feel like I'm watching a TV series in book form if that makes sense haha!
2024 Book Thread on 09:49 - Jan 31 with 1039 viewsDanTheMan

Currently making my way through the Red Rising saga

https://www.goodreads.com/series/117100-red-rising-saga

Been thoroughly enjoying it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

2024 Book Thread on 10:01 - Jan 31 with 1010 viewsCoastalblue

2024 Book Thread on 09:49 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

Read those virtually back to back through the middle of last year, thought they were very, very good.

If you're looking for something afterward with a similar feel, albeit totally different in virtually every other way, check out Jay Kristoff's Empire Of The Vampire, a trilogy with the final instalment due to be released shortly.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

2024 Book Thread on 10:04 - Jan 31 with 1002 viewsRobTheMonk

2024 Book Thread on 09:49 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

Got the first three for 99p each a while back. Not read yet but have heard good things.
[Post edited 31 Jan 10:04]
2024 Book Thread on 10:20 - Jan 31 with 971 viewsSikamikanico

2024 Book Thread on 13:11 - Jan 30 by The_Flashing_Smile

This, which is very good if you're into all things creative...

Thank you for sharing this book. Have reserved it from the library.
2024 Book Thread on 12:06 - Jan 31 with 931 viewsjayessess

2024 Book Thread on 08:23 - Jan 30 by Steve_M

Jerry White's histories of London are always good value, he's a very engaging writer. Sonya Rose's book Which People's War? is an interesting one if you're into social histories of that period (although it's a University Press so mad expensive unless you get it 2nd hand!).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

2024 Book Thread on 15:08 - Jan 31 with 857 viewsNthsuffolkblue

2024 Book Thread on 09:20 - Jan 31 by Keno

Id not heard of the CS Lewis trilogy so just downloaded that

If anyone wants a more local crime series the Hidden Norfolk books by JM Dalgleish set in North Norfolk are worth a try

https://jmdalgliesh.com/hidden-norfolk/

That sounds interesting. Been reading Ellie Griffiths who is North Norfolk crime fiction too. Very readable. Might give them a try once I have finished Griffiths.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

2024 Book Thread on 15:10 - Jan 31 with 851 viewsSteve_M

2024 Book Thread on 12:06 - Jan 31 by jayessess

Jerry White's histories of London are always good value, he's a very engaging writer. Sonya Rose's book Which People's War? is an interesting one if you're into social histories of that period (although it's a University Press so mad expensive unless you get it 2nd hand!).

Yes, I thought it looked interesting but wasn't sure quite how readable it would be. Given the answer is 'very' I've added the equivalent First World War book to my reading list.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024