Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So today 06:18 - Jan 31 with 9576 viewschicoazul

We need to sew up a 9 and a left back.
If we don’t, will this be the biggest missed opportunity for the club ever? Certainly since Evans not giving Mick the Mings money to spend after we just missed out in the play offs?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So today on 09:33 - Jan 31 with 1649 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 09:22 - Jan 31 by tractorboy1978

Let's wait and have this 'argument' after the window has shut. I am sure we will sign another striker anyway.

To be honest I'm trying to preempt the pissing and wailing about the club if it doesn't happen. Everyone who cares about Ipswich Town should feel on top of the world and bloody grateful right now, regardless of what happens this window.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

So today on 10:01 - Jan 31 with 1534 viewscressi

So today on 09:08 - Jan 31 by tractorboy1978

It's not irrelevant at all, you learn from previous windows. If Hirst had picked up his injury a couple of months earlier we'd have been absolutely snookered and not in the position we are now. Likewise, if we wouldn't have signed Hirst last January, we would have been far weaker for that run in last season and probably wouldn't have got automatic promotion.

Moore wouldn't be the exact player we need, but he gives us a better chance of promotion than we have at the moment. It won't and shouldn't be Gallagher or nobody. There will be back up options and we need to land one of them if needs be. I've seen a bit of 'we could just go with Jackson' already on here and find it barmy personally.

What you say is 100% right if others don't agree they are deluded Jackson up front would not have got us out of league one another striker possibly two apart from other positions is vital to give ourselves a chance of promotion.
So today on 10:04 - Jan 31 with 1521 viewspointofblue

So today on 09:11 - Jan 31 by Cheltenham_Blue

For what feels like the millionth time.

I really disliked Evans, and was one of the few at the beginning who was openly discussing that he was bad for us.

But.

As McCarthy has said himself, he was offered the money to bring players in during that window, but he didn't want to disrupt the squad and so decided not to.

Reading between the lines, I don’t think there was enough money available to McCarthy to bring in players he felt would actually improve the squad, so he decided it’d be better to stick with who we had.

For different reasons (FFP) I’m starting to fear it may be the case this time around too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So today on 10:04 - Jan 31 with 1517 viewsSteve_M

So today on 08:38 - Jan 31 by tractorboy1978

We've ended 2 of the last 3 windows a striker short. We cannot make that 3 of the last 4 windows. It's difficult, of course it is, but we need another striker to give ourselves the best chance of capitalising on our incredible start. That's how the club will be thinking too.
[Post edited 31 Jan 8:39]

It's remarkable how such an obvious observation causes such angst for some fans.

I think the same goes for not getting cover for Davis in, without Janoi and Williams we are stretched.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So today on 10:05 - Jan 31 with 1507 viewspointofblue

So today on 10:04 - Jan 31 by Steve_M

It's remarkable how such an obvious observation causes such angst for some fans.

I think the same goes for not getting cover for Davis in, without Janoi and Williams we are stretched.

And clearly the club see it as an issue, as we’ve been linked with Gallagher and Johnson for much of the window.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So today on 10:07 - Jan 31 with 1487 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 10:01 - Jan 31 by cressi

What you say is 100% right if others don't agree they are deluded Jackson up front would not have got us out of league one another striker possibly two apart from other positions is vital to give ourselves a chance of promotion.

I think there's very few people actually saying "we could just go with Jackson."

So today on 10:11 - Jan 31 with 1464 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

There's a difference between that being an obvious observation and actually getting it done. No-one, or very few people, is denying we need these players. But it is very, very difficult in this window, for the reasons that have been stated.

So today on 10:23 - Jan 31 with 1413 viewschicoazul

Gamechanger Derangement Syndrome.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

So today on 10:25 - Jan 31 with 1403 viewsSteve_M

So today on 10:11 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

There's a difference between that being an obvious observation and actually getting it done. No-one, or very few people, is denying we need these players. But it is very, very difficult in this window, for the reasons that have been stated.

And if we don't get that deal done then we reduce our chances of promotion this season.

So today on 10:25 - Jan 31 with 1405 viewsDanTheMan

So today on 10:23 - Jan 31 by chicoazul

Gamechanger Derangement Syndrome.

There is an element of them being able to do no wrong.

I'm chuffed at our position now, seems like a dream compared to a few years ago, but they are not beyond criticism.

If we don't get another striker and probably full-back, we're going to be light for the rest of the season. I doubt McKenna or Ashton would be happy with that situation.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

So today on 10:32 - Jan 31 with 1364 viewsXatticus

I think we are victims of our own success. This is still largely a squad that was built to compete in League One and there are many areas that could use strengthening, but the January window is tough to operate in and we are dealing with FFP restrictions.

Selling last summer would've yielded modest transfer funds as our players were only proven in League One. We shouldn't be competing this year, but we are. This is only a good thing. And while some may see this as a fleeting opportunity to reach the promised land, this has been a highly-successful consolidation season that should set us up well for the summer regardless of which league we are preparing for.
So today on 10:45 - Jan 31 with 1314 viewsSteve_M

So today on 10:04 - Jan 31 by pointofblue

Reading between the lines, I don’t think there was enough money available to McCarthy to bring in players he felt would actually improve the squad, so he decided it’d be better to stick with who we had.

For different reasons (FFP) I’m starting to fear it may be the case this time around too.

Yes, that was my view at the time too. MM accepted it as part of his job to put up a front.

Had the loan rules been different and Chris Wood been here on a half season loan, rather than the recall option Leicester had, then it might have been different too.

So today on 10:46 - Jan 31 with 1309 viewsXatticus

So today on 10:25 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

I'm chuffed at our position now, seems like a dream compared to a few years ago, but they are not beyond criticism.

If we don't get another striker and probably full-back, we're going to be light for the rest of the season. I doubt McKenna or Ashton would be happy with that situation.

What does Gamechanger have to do with it though? We aren't permitted to lose more than 39M over a rolling three-year period, I believe. I don't know where we stand at present, but we lost 12.6M last year. I highly doubt that our lack of additions has anything to do with a lack of funds available beyond our concerns with staying within FFP guidelines.

I trust that we are doing everything we can to strengthen while not violating FFP.
So today on 10:54 - Jan 31 with 1247 viewscressi

So today on 09:33 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

To be honest I'm trying to preempt the pissing and wailing about the club if it doesn't happen. Everyone who cares about Ipswich Town should feel on top of the world and bloody grateful right now, regardless of what happens this window.

Grateful is not right
This fan base has had 20 yrs of hurt like a unhappy marriage isn't it nice to feel semi happy 😊
So today on 10:57 - Jan 31 with 1217 viewsDanTheMan

So today on 10:46 - Jan 31 by Xatticus

What does Gamechanger have to do with it though? We aren't permitted to lose more than 39M over a rolling three-year period, I believe. I don't know where we stand at present, but we lost 12.6M last year. I highly doubt that our lack of additions has anything to do with a lack of funds available beyond our concerns with staying within FFP guidelines.

I trust that we are doing everything we can to strengthen while not violating FFP.

By Gamechanger, I mean the people running the club since the takeover, not the specific money men or pension fund. We need to stay within the limits. We'd have known about those limits going into the window.

Obviously, some things can just go wrong and it is nobody's fault, but people seem to be bending over backwards to excuse not getting the players in we need.

So today on 10:58 - Jan 31 with 1214 viewscressi

So today on 10:46 - Jan 31 by Xatticus

If we fail to go up we will sell a player for decent money to take care of FFP it is how it works yes I no by June get 15 millon buy for 2 million.
So today on 10:58 - Jan 31 with 1211 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 10:25 - Jan 31 by Steve_M

And if we don't get that deal done then we reduce our chances of promotion this season.

Again you're stating the obvious. What's your point? I still won't be berating the club if they fail to do it because I know they'll be trying their damndest and I appreciate this is a very difficult window to do it in.

So today on 10:58 - Jan 31 with 1207 viewsCotty

So today on 09:10 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

We deserve to be where we are, we haven't been especially lucky (in fact we've been a bit unlucky with some, especially pen, decisions).

But in any case, I didn't say the team's been lucky.

Fortunate is a synonym of lucky you cheeky chappy
So today on 11:05 - Jan 31 with 1149 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 10:25 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

Like Steve, you're stating the obvious and I don't think anyone's disagreeing with any of that.

My point is if the club try their hardest (which I believe they are) but fail to get their targets due to clubs not willing to sell or FFP restrictions, then we should cut them some slack, take it on the chin and be grateful for what we do have.

You know these pages, and twitter, will be full of people berating the club if the deals don't get done, like it's a football management game and you only have to click the buy button.

January's already a difficult window, there's not a huge amount of 'Hirst type players' and we're restricted by FFP. If we can't get deals done because of those reasons, what are the club supposed to do?

So today on 11:08 - Jan 31 with 1112 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 10:54 - Jan 31 by cressi

Grateful is not right
This fan base has had 20 yrs of hurt like a unhappy marriage isn't it nice to feel semi happy 😊

Gamechanger, Ashton, McKenna et al had nothing to do with that. Yes, grateful is absolutely how we should be.

So today on 11:11 - Jan 31 with 1085 viewsDanTheMan

So today on 11:05 - Jan 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Like Steve, you're stating the obvious and I don't think anyone's disagreeing with any of that.

My point is if the club try their hardest (which I believe they are) but fail to get their targets due to clubs not willing to sell or FFP restrictions, then we should cut them some slack, take it on the chin and be grateful for what we do have.

You know these pages, and twitter, will be full of people berating the club if the deals don't get done, like it's a football management game and you only have to click the buy button.

January's already a difficult window, there's not a huge amount of 'Hirst type players' and we're restricted by FFP. If we can't get deals done because of those reasons, what are the club supposed to do?

I'm sure they are trying their hardest, I have no doubts about that.

I don't think people like myself or Steve would be berating the club if we don't get those players in, we'd just be disappointed.

It's hard to know if things just went wrong outside of our control of course as we aren't privy to discussions.

If we don't get another striker and full back in, I'd be a little disappointed. I was very happy with Al Hamadi as he looks a fantastic prospect, and Travis looks very good as well. So it's not all bad of course.

I just think there is some room for very mild criticism, that's all.

So today on 11:12 - Jan 31 with 1071 viewsKieran_Knows

So today on 11:11 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

I'm sure they are trying their hardest, I have no doubts about that.

I don't think people like myself or Steve would be berating the club if we don't get those players in, we'd just be disappointed.

It's hard to know if things just went wrong outside of our control of course as we aren't privy to discussions.

If we don't get another striker and full back in, I'd be a little disappointed. I was very happy with Al Hamadi as he looks a fantastic prospect, and Travis looks very good as well. So it's not all bad of course.

I just think there is some room for very mild criticism, that's all.

How dare anything gets said about Mark Ashton.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

So today on 11:13 - Jan 31 with 1047 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 10:57 - Jan 31 by DanTheMan

By Gamechanger, I mean the people running the club since the takeover, not the specific money men or pension fund. We need to stay within the limits. We'd have known about those limits going into the window.

Obviously, some things can just go wrong and it is nobody's fault, but people seem to be bending over backwards to excuse not getting the players in we need.

I don't see anyone bending over backwards to excuse not getting the players in we need, just being realistic.

We seem to live in a world now where blame always has to be apportioned to someone. But you say yourself, some things can just go wrong and it is nobody's fault.

You believe the club are trying their hardest don't you? If so, what more can they do than that?

So today on 11:21 - Jan 31 with 1007 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So today on 10:58 - Jan 31 by Cotty

Fortunate is a synonym of lucky you cheeky chappy

I have an English Language degree, I'm aware of that.

It also means more than simply "lucky", see my explanation at the bottom of the previous page. Context is also important. I didn't say the team has been fortunate on the pitch.
[Post edited 31 Jan 11:23]

So today on 11:25 - Jan 31 with 980 viewsPhilTWTD

So today on 09:11 - Jan 31 by Cheltenham_Blue

For what feels like the millionth time.

I really disliked Evans, and was one of the few at the beginning who was openly discussing that he was bad for us.

But.

As McCarthy has said himself, he was offered the money to bring players in during that window, but he didn't want to disrupt the squad and so decided not to.

And he did actually add to the squad by signing Freddie Sears and tried to sign Billy Sharp, which didn't happen due to the player rather than the club. Also wasn't quite so important to sign players by the deadline then as loans were available after the window had closed. It's a narrative which has developed in more recent times.

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024