Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An unresolvable debate? 08:44 - Feb 15 with 1246 viewsITFC_Forever

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/24116499.one-suffolk-sixth-form-parking-havoc

Should car drivers be able to park where they like - assuming their car tax is up-to-date and they're not blocking anyone in?

Local residents will say no - but you are not telling me they never park on the road whenever they go somewhere?

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

An unresolvable debate? on 09:53 - Feb 15 with 1129 viewsbaxterbasics

"Students take some of the very limited spaces we have for visitors, family, friends or workmen."
"We pay to live there and can't have anyone visit us because we haven't got spaces for them."

So these residents think because they pay for the house they also should get exclusive use of the road outside? Wrong. That's public road. The students have the same rights to park as anyone else.

The mentioned bad parking (ie on the pavement) and littering are not acceptable, and annoying, but these are separate issues.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

An unresolvable debate? on 09:57 - Feb 15 with 1103 viewsITFC_Forever

An unresolvable debate? on 09:53 - Feb 15 by baxterbasics

"Students take some of the very limited spaces we have for visitors, family, friends or workmen."
"We pay to live there and can't have anyone visit us because we haven't got spaces for them."

So these residents think because they pay for the house they also should get exclusive use of the road outside? Wrong. That's public road. The students have the same rights to park as anyone else.

The mentioned bad parking (ie on the pavement) and littering are not acceptable, and annoying, but these are separate issues.

Yep.

No different to them parking at the side of the road if they go somewhere else.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

An unresolvable debate? on 10:18 - Feb 15 with 1046 viewsBluespeed225

A lot of it stems from before the college was built. It was an issue raised in the 90’s, but ‘the plan’ was that students would use public transport. This was in an era before 3/4 car households, but it was obvious what would happen. As said, as long as the car is legal, no offence is committed, it’s just a constantly annoying Modern trend. It’s all kicking off at Bixley Hall primary at the moment during the start/end of day.
An unresolvable debate? on 11:03 - Feb 15 with 988 viewsRyorry

The images show cars parked half on the pavement.

That is completely unacceptable, particularly for visually impaired & other disabled people, parents with pushchairs & other young kids in tow.

People can be fined for that currently, and I'm pleased to say (I used to work with visually impaired people) it may soon become illegal -

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/parking-on-the-pavement/

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

An unresolvable debate? on 11:23 - Feb 15 with 933 viewsMattinLondon

An unresolvable debate? on 11:03 - Feb 15 by Ryorry

The images show cars parked half on the pavement.

That is completely unacceptable, particularly for visually impaired & other disabled people, parents with pushchairs & other young kids in tow.

People can be fined for that currently, and I'm pleased to say (I used to work with visually impaired people) it may soon become illegal -

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/parking-on-the-pavement/

When I see inconsiderate parking, my mind sometimes goes back to two posts. One was from a poster, who whenever they see a car parked selfishly scratches it, and who reckoned that over the years has damaged hundreds of cars. The other, was from a poster who had a random student park their car in his driveway. I’ve forgotten who the posters were.

Back to the subject, despite what some claim no one owns the road outside their homes and anyone can park where they want (without blocking etc).
An unresolvable debate? on 13:05 - Feb 15 with 831 viewsstonojnr

An unresolvable debate? on 10:18 - Feb 15 by Bluespeed225

A lot of it stems from before the college was built. It was an issue raised in the 90’s, but ‘the plan’ was that students would use public transport. This was in an era before 3/4 car households, but it was obvious what would happen. As said, as long as the car is legal, no offence is committed, it’s just a constantly annoying Modern trend. It’s all kicking off at Bixley Hall primary at the moment during the start/end of day.

Are they not using the park & ride anymore ? Or is it the classic "ugh too far to walk, got to cross a road" motorcentric view.

As for Bixley, it's always been an issue, never understood why so many drive to it, and it spills over to Foxhall road with cars just parked in stupid spots creating more hazards, which are absolutely connected to the school be it staff or parents because they all magically disappear during half terms.
An unresolvable debate? on 13:09 - Feb 15 with 805 viewsBluespeed225

An unresolvable debate? on 13:05 - Feb 15 by stonojnr

Are they not using the park & ride anymore ? Or is it the classic "ugh too far to walk, got to cross a road" motorcentric view.

As for Bixley, it's always been an issue, never understood why so many drive to it, and it spills over to Foxhall road with cars just parked in stupid spots creating more hazards, which are absolutely connected to the school be it staff or parents because they all magically disappear during half terms.

Yup, literally just caused by modern trend of not walking. Arundle Way was an issue from Bixley when I lived over there. Now I get Colneis and Kingsfleet ( only one end of my road) spilling over. 3.30, it’s a procession of BMW/Audi/Range Rover mummies chewing up the verge.
An unresolvable debate? on 13:18 - Feb 15 with 782 viewsHelp

They can always pay for residents parking permits
Login to get fewer ads

An unresolvable debate? on 13:58 - Feb 15 with 734 viewsPinewoodblue

An unresolvable debate? on 11:23 - Feb 15 by MattinLondon

When I see inconsiderate parking, my mind sometimes goes back to two posts. One was from a poster, who whenever they see a car parked selfishly scratches it, and who reckoned that over the years has damaged hundreds of cars. The other, was from a poster who had a random student park their car in his driveway. I’ve forgotten who the posters were.

Back to the subject, despite what some claim no one owns the road outside their homes and anyone can park where they want (without blocking etc).

Live relatively close to Suffolk One and I have had a student park on the driveway, she actually blocked my car in. She was very apologetic about it,

I’m looking forward to it happening regularly in the future as when Google recently updated street view they drove to the end of the driveway.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

An unresolvable debate? on 17:26 - Feb 15 with 642 viewscooperd5

Need integrated public transport.
Suffolk One by bus from here (Stutton) for a 9ish start means catching a 7.28 to town and then another bus with an hour to wait at college. Return not much better.
Buses they run for students are fixed AM and PM each way only so given most students do 1/2 days 3x a week are next to useless.
I'm not surprised they park in the vicinity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024