Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity 13:59 - Feb 21 with 2153 viewsDevereuxxx

Hi all,

Obviously like others, I'm concerned about the premier league bigboys having a look at Kieran McKenna and fancying the cut of his jib. This got me thinking about how often PL teams actually hire managers directly from the Championship; not managers who have flitted between the leagues, were out of contract, or were an internal hire, but contracted Championship managers moving between one club to the other. Interim managers also do not count.

For instance, a quick glance at the most current (and admittedly small) sample size of the current PL managers shows NO current PL managers were hired direct from Championship clubs. Obviously some achieved promotion to the PL with their current clubs (Rob Edwards, Vincent Kompany, Thomas Frank), and this seems to be the most frequent avenue through which Championship managers gain PL experience. The majority were out of contract with their most recent experience abroad or in the PL (David Moyes, Sean Dyche, Mauricio Pochettino). The closest you have is Chris Wilder, but he was hired after being binned by Watford, so doesn't count.

So, my GCSE maths makes that approximately 0% of current PL managers directly hired from Championship clubs. Also, by my estimations, the last manager contracted to a Championship manager who moved to a PL club was Nathan Jones from Luton to Southampton, which will go down as one of the worst hires in PL history. Before him, it was Graham Potter moving to Brighton from Swansea, way back in 2019. And at about the same time, you had Lampard moving from Derby to Chelsea as he knew were the mugs were kept. Admittedly, Potter is a far more successful example. In fact, going back to all PL hires to start of the season in 2015, they are the only three I could find. Steve Bruce quit Sheffield Wednesday before joining Newcastle less than 48 hours later, so technically doesn't count, although he would have been a useful reference point as a hapless manager based on recent performance.

Obviously, this is not an exact science and happy if anyone is able to identify any I have missed (I used Wikipedia and my own football knowledge, both have been proven previously to be unreliable sources). But this equates to around 3% of PL hires. Which even I am comfortable enough to describe as a small percentage. My guess if there as numerous reasons for this:

1. Potential for failure - once again reverting to the small sample I could identify, 33.3% were a immediate disaster and the other 2 went on to be disasters. Potter was a success and then went to Chelsea and took a dump on however many years of hard work up the wall. Lampard took Chelsea nowhere then also destroyed his rep with a destroy and exit job at Everton and then remarkably Chelsea again. Nathan Jones' stint was hilarious from beginning to end. There are very few success stories (If KM stays a while I think we should thank Nathan Jones for putting PL clubs off Championship managers with little PL experience).
2. Lack of experience - as mentioned above, the only real way to get PL experience as a Championship manager is to get promoted, and then hope you do a good enough job to get another job. See Dean Smith, Scott Parker et al. Trying to get a PL job as a manager is like trying to get your first job out of University when all entry-level jobs want 2 years of experience.
3. Costs - Presumably, if a PL team is trying to hire a Championship manager, that manager has done well and their current club does not want them to leave. That means compensation. And why pay compensation when Dean Smith is available for free. That's the option the very smart boards of the PL usually go for.
4. Small sample size - It's difficult to know how well a manager will perform in the PL after 46 games (as the KM example) in the Championship playing the likes of Rotherham, QPR etc. Man City away is a very different fish. Performing well over a small sample size does not a good manager make. See Mick Beale's time at QPR as a recent example.

To summarise, it is not a definite that KM will go the PL, even if we don't go up this season. There is a lack of appetite from PL clubs to take a punt on a Championship manager with no PL experience, for numerous reasons. Obviously, KM is more Graham Potter than Nathan Jones, but there is still a chance he will be here for a while.

(Please don't shout at me if he joins Brighton in the summer)
Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:34 - Feb 21 with 2040 viewsElephantintheRoom

Indeed. On the one hand there is not a hope in hell that McKenna will go to a Prem club. On the other hand with the hypeometer turned up way beyond 11 he might appear to be a generational talent

Realistically he hasn’t achieved anything yet having underperformed in the third division with a money-dopée team then over performed for 3/4 of a season in the second division. His stock will rise if something positive happens in the last few matches or might plummet if Town are dumped out of the play offs by the likes of Hull or Norwich.

I suspect Southampton might be shopping for a new manager shortly if they dont get back to winnning ways…. They might take a punt on McKenna as they have form in hiring overhyped managers from this division..

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Roflcopter. (n/t) on 14:36 - Feb 21 with 2035 viewsBloots

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:34 - Feb 21 by ElephantintheRoom

Indeed. On the one hand there is not a hope in hell that McKenna will go to a Prem club. On the other hand with the hypeometer turned up way beyond 11 he might appear to be a generational talent

Realistically he hasn’t achieved anything yet having underperformed in the third division with a money-dopée team then over performed for 3/4 of a season in the second division. His stock will rise if something positive happens in the last few matches or might plummet if Town are dumped out of the play offs by the likes of Hull or Norwich.

I suspect Southampton might be shopping for a new manager shortly if they dont get back to winnning ways…. They might take a punt on McKenna as they have form in hiring overhyped managers from this division..

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Roflcopter. (n/t) on 14:38 - Feb 21 with 2029 viewsBlueBadger

Roflcopter. (n/t) on 14:36 - Feb 21 by Bloots

I'd normally say 'more to be pitied than scorned' in the case of our budgie trolls but in this case...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:44 - Feb 21 with 1994 viewsIllinoisblue

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:34 - Feb 21 by ElephantintheRoom

The spirit of frimley lives on.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:52 - Feb 21 with 1954 viewsBlueBadger

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:44 - Feb 21 by Illinoisblue

The spirit of frimley lives on.

Not really, Frimmers is an actual Town fan, albeit one with an endless supply of ludicrous hot takes and weird 'concerns'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:55 - Feb 21 with 1941 viewsTractorCam

I've lost count on how many times i've read a post, then looked to the top right knowing i'm going to see "ElephantintheRoom"

I have a 100% success rate of this by the way.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:56 - Feb 21 with 1935 viewsFixed_It

You are doing this deliberately, aren't you! You surely can't believe half the drivel you come out with...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 15:12 - Feb 21 with 1850 viewsSharkey

On the other hand, "There is a lack of appetite from PL clubs to take a punt on a Championship manager with no PL experience" does not entirely apply in his case, as of course he has been a PL (joint?) assistant manager and worked with plenty of multi-millionaire players.
Login to get fewer ads

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 15:14 - Feb 21 with 1842 viewsIllinoisblue

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:56 - Feb 21 by Fixed_It

You are doing this deliberately, aren't you! You surely can't believe half the drivel you come out with...

He’s basically Billy Bleach from The Fast Show albeit without the laughs.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 15:35 - Feb 21 with 1794 viewsBiGDonnie

STFU you utter dinosaur.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 17:38 - Feb 21 with 1669 viewsGeoffSentence

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 15:35 - Feb 21 by BiGDonnie

STFU you utter dinosaur.

I've finally succumbed and put the goon on ignore. It would work better if you couldn't actually see that he has posted some old cobblers by the replies from other people.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 19:29 - Feb 21 with 1550 viewsMisterBlue

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 17:38 - Feb 21 by GeoffSentence

I've finally succumbed and put the goon on ignore. It would work better if you couldn't actually see that he has posted some old cobblers by the replies from other people.

You can hide/block what has been replied to. I have had them on the div list for some time as find the relentless trolling tedious and quite depressing at times.
Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 19:54 - Feb 21 with 1506 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 14:55 - Feb 21 by TractorCam

I've lost count on how many times i've read a post, then looked to the top right knowing i'm going to see "ElephantintheRoom"

I have a 100% success rate of this by the way.

Pretty sure he’s some tinpot bot with a handful of phrases programmed by a budgie.

And to think that AI is going to drive our cars and steal our jobs…
Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 20:02 - Feb 21 with 1477 viewsMattinLondon

Kids, important life lesson. When you become old and you think of the past. Don’t ever over glorify it and don’t think that the modern world is inferior in every way. If you do then you’ll become a twisted and bitter old fool like Elephant. Never go full Elephant.
Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 21:02 - Feb 21 with 1369 viewsCoastalblue

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 20:02 - Feb 21 by MattinLondon

Kids, important life lesson. When you become old and you think of the past. Don’t ever over glorify it and don’t think that the modern world is inferior in every way. If you do then you’ll become a twisted and bitter old fool like Elephant. Never go full Elephant.

I swear that bolloxgpt app is getting worse rather than better.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 21:07 - Feb 21 with 1339 viewsblueasfook

Excellent work Gav. TWTD Trollbot 2.0 is working like a dream.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 07:00 - Feb 22 with 1155 viewsPioneerBlue

I like your thinking and don’t disagree with the analysis but he does have prem experience albeit working as a coach (at an elite club). He has first hand experience working with elite international players. He fits the modern model, head coach sporting director or similar.

I would say he’s 1-2 years away from that though. I don’t know what CP or WetSpam are really thinking. You’d get a more balance picture of his experience next year either we are up and now he has direct prem experience or we are down and you see what he’s made of with a Y2 championship side. Look at how difficult it’s been for Boro and more close the journey of Sunderland, neither found it easy following last year’s success, then subsequently Le Coach est parti !

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 08:57 - Feb 22 with 1026 viewsNthQldITFC

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 21:07 - Feb 21 by blueasfook

Excellent work Gav. TWTD Trollbot 2.0 is working like a dream.

I can't believe how many of you still don't have that Elephant waster on ignore. I can promise you that I never think "Ooh, I wonder what I've missed" when I see that immortal and ubiquitous phrase 'Post from ElephantintheRoom ignored'.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 09:41 - Feb 22 with 962 viewsMattinLondon

Championship managers appointed by PL clubs - a Statistical Rarity on 08:57 - Feb 22 by NthQldITFC

I can't believe how many of you still don't have that Elephant waster on ignore. I can promise you that I never think "Ooh, I wonder what I've missed" when I see that immortal and ubiquitous phrase 'Post from ElephantintheRoom ignored'.

I did have him on ignore but then I unignored him as on principle I don’t like the idea of ignore. If I did like the basis behind ignoring posters then he would indeed be on ignore. But as I don’t like the principle of ignore, he is not on my ignore list. An ignore list which does not exist, as I don’t like the principle behind ignoring posters. That’s not to say that one day I might indeed put a poster on ignore but for the time being, in the present, in the here-and-now, no poster is on ignore.
[Post edited 22 Feb 9:43]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024