Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not saying I love Omari, but... 02:09 - Mar 17 with 574 viewsKropotkin123

in light of there being zero threads about him, I thought I'd give it a shot.

In the summer, I like a few others, thought Jackson wouldn't contribute much at this level (@Jackson's Dad - He's proved me wrong, another great performance when we needed him today). So I was happy to see us heavily linked Rak-Sakyi - not the Rak-Sakyi that has played 133 minutes across 6 league games for Palace this season, the one that had just got 15 goals and 8 assists in 40 League One starts for an undewhelming Charlton side.

So when we missed out on him and picked up Omari Hutchinson, a then 19-year-old from Chelsea, with a grand total of 22-minutes of professional football, I was a little skeptical. Don't worry, I wasn't writing him of then, nor after his first substitute appearance, like some. But I wasn't seeing the signs that he would do anything special.

1,457 mins league minutes later and he's scored 7, assisted 5, and been an important apart of the build-up in others. He hasn't just scored in meaningless games when we are home and dry. He's really stepped up when it mattered. Would there be a hangover from the loss last week? No, Omari would break the deadlock after 15mins. His goals against Southampton and Rotherham were important match-winners.

He's not perfect, his decision-making has been questioned. But he is young, and if that improves significantly, he'll definately have a long career at the upper end of the Premiership.

But why do I love his performances in a Town shirt? Honestly, I still can't get over the fact that for a young flair player, with good end-product, he is totally willing and good at the defensive side of his game. Being around players like Burns and Harness, who can also mix it defensively, must help, but this natural abilty has been there since game one and it is great to see him interested in improving and evidently improving this aspect of his game.

Most of the season he has been on the right hand side, but he is intelligent, so when we needed someone to step in for Connor Chaplin, he was able to instantly contribute today. He was unplayable for Sheff Wed. Yes it was Sheff Wed, but let's not kid ourselves, We've not put in such a dominent performance against other lower table opposition at home. The only game that has been more than a 2 goal margin was Hull. Pretty much every game has been a battle, and even Rotherham was a 90th minute winner. So credit where it's due.

He is also unselfish. Twice in this game highlight this. Laying it off for Sarmiento or for Al-Hamadi, when he was on for a hatrick led to two goals.

Some are saying he's the best loan signing we've had. Magilton, Peralta, Bullard, and Gio all come to mind. Whether he is or not doesn't matter, I think he has been great to watch this season - Be it his end-product, continuous improvement, or defensive qualities. That he would like to come back here is great. If we get promoted, I think it would be another mutually beneficial season together. If he spends next year at Chelsea, it would be a shame, as he'd likely only feature akin to Rak-Sakyi this year, whereas McKenna has proven he can develop his game.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

I'm not saying I love Omari, but... on 08:04 - Mar 17 with 373 viewsSteve_M

The only thing to add to that is he’s clearly a reflective and mature person as well, his interviews are impressive.

I’m thoroughly enjoying watching him develop this season and would love to see him back next year - we’ll need to go up to have any chance there I think.
[Post edited 17 Mar 10:07]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I'm not saying I love Omari, but... on 08:08 - Mar 17 with 367 viewsChurchman

When I first saw him I thought he looked sullen, moody, a bit disinterested. Clearly talented I wondered if he’d be one of those show pony players. Good control, tricks, no output. He also looked too small. Unimpressed.

Now there’s a reason why I’m not a football manager. And that paragraph covers it. His progress has been outstanding and he’s unrecognisable from the player I first saw. Work ethic, willingness to be involved defensively and ability to hurt teams at this level continues to grow. Lethal player. And what a great job our coaches have done with him.

He's going to have a smashing career. Lots to learn though and I hope he’s not left to wither in Chelsea’s reserves. I’d love him to stay with us next season and maybe he will if we make it to the PL. if we don’t, then I suspect he will be loaned to a lower PL team.
I'm not saying I love Omari, but... on 08:14 - Mar 17 with 342 viewshomer_123

I'm not saying I love Omari, but... on 08:04 - Mar 17 by Steve_M

The only thing to add to that is he’s clearly a reflective and mature person as well, his interviews are impressive.

I’m thoroughly enjoying watching him develop this season and would love to see him back next year - we’ll need to go up to have any chance there I think.
[Post edited 17 Mar 10:07]

After sn opening season like this, the second season is actually where he might struggle.

He's hit the ground running so we'll in an extremely tough league.

He'll do very well to replicate that next season wherever he ends up. Not saying he won't but it will be tough.

Obviously I'd love it if we had him back next season....in the Prem. He's going to have a lot of options available to him though.

Big decisions for him in the summer.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024