Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never seen this before 11:57 - Mar 27 with 3515 viewsCoastalblue

Apparently it was banned from being shown, an ad for the six nations, I actually think it's quite humourous and amusing and probably shows a side of the UK that most of the rest of the world can't get it's head around.

We're like warring siblings until somebody picks a fight with one of us, then we're a tight family unit.
[Post edited 27 Mar 13:38]

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Never seen this before on 12:16 - Mar 27 with 2879 viewsChurchman

The link hasn’t worked for me. If it’s the united in dislike ad from about ten years ago yes, it’s dead funny.
Never seen this before on 13:38 - Mar 27 with 2653 viewsCoastalblue

Never seen this before on 12:16 - Mar 27 by Churchman

The link hasn’t worked for me. If it’s the united in dislike ad from about ten years ago yes, it’s dead funny.

Have updated the link, but yes that's the one

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Never seen this before on 13:43 - Mar 27 with 2635 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Never seen this before on 12:16 - Mar 27 by Churchman

Not sure there are any untruths in that ad, you only needed to look on here last night with posters willing Wales to win.

Positive that few Welsh, Scots, or Irish would be doing that if we were in a play-off.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Never seen this before on 13:54 - Mar 27 with 2595 viewsmutters

Never seen this before on 13:43 - Mar 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not sure there are any untruths in that ad, you only needed to look on here last night with posters willing Wales to win.

Positive that few Welsh, Scots, or Irish would be doing that if we were in a play-off.

As Mark Renton from Trainspotting so eloquently put it....

"Ah don't hate the English. They're just w@nkers. We are colonised by w@nkers. We can't even pick a decent, vibrant, healthy culture to be colonised by. No. We're ruled by effete @rseholes. What does that make us?"

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Never seen this before on 14:40 - Mar 27 with 2492 viewsEireannach_gorm

Never seen this before on 13:54 - Mar 27 by mutters

As Mark Renton from Trainspotting so eloquently put it....

"Ah don't hate the English. They're just w@nkers. We are colonised by w@nkers. We can't even pick a decent, vibrant, healthy culture to be colonised by. No. We're ruled by effete @rseholes. What does that make us?"

Totally agree. I like english people in general, its the coloniest past I object to. There is a certain irony in the fact that the most ardent anti small boat/invader types regard themselves as very British. Strange that people resent their culture ( identity ) being destroyed.
Never seen this before on 18:18 - Mar 27 with 2220 viewsPerublue

It’s political correctness gone mad I tell ye …. and this was 2012 😮 I imagine the creators would have been hung drawn and quartered in these enlightened days, after jumping through a thousand different safeguarding and inclusiveness checks to remove all humour.
[Post edited 27 Mar 18:32]

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Never seen this before on 08:21 - Mar 28 with 1923 viewsDJR

Never seen this before on 14:40 - Mar 27 by Eireannach_gorm

Totally agree. I like english people in general, its the coloniest past I object to. There is a certain irony in the fact that the most ardent anti small boat/invader types regard themselves as very British. Strange that people resent their culture ( identity ) being destroyed.

Interestingly, the Scots (probably to escape the lack of opportunity in their homeland ) played a disproportionate role in Empire, as evidenced by the very high proportion of surnames of Scottish origin amongst people in Jamaica.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13839601.jamaica-country-campbells-per-he

However, the fact that 62% of Scots voted to Remain indicates that the "Empire mentality" that, in my view, was a major factor in the Brexit vote is these days much more prevalent in England (and Wales) than Scotland, because differences between the countries in poverty, opportunity and deprivation cannot explain the vote.
[Post edited 28 Mar 8:28]
Never seen this before on 08:25 - Mar 28 with 1901 viewsDJR

Never seen this before on 13:43 - Mar 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

Perhaps there is an element of support for the plucky underdog.

However, when England didn't qualify and Scotland did, no one in my class in school in Ipswich in 1974 was persuaded by me to support Scotland.

The relative size of the nations also plays a part in my view, just as in the 70s I despised all the large London clubs, not least because of the greater publicity they got.

But I still think the enmity, if it is that, really only extends (for the vast majority of people) to the sporting field.

Perhaps Gore Vidal summed it up best, with once again the British media overkill, if England succeed, playing a part as far as I am concerned.

"Every time a friend succeeds, something inside me dies."

[Post edited 28 Mar 8:35]
Login to get fewer ads

Never seen this before on 08:39 - Mar 28 with 1866 viewsBluespeed225

Never seen this before on 08:25 - Mar 28 by DJR

Perhaps there is an element of support for the plucky underdog.

However, when England didn't qualify and Scotland did, no one in my class in school in Ipswich in 1974 was persuaded by me to support Scotland.

The relative size of the nations also plays a part in my view, just as in the 70s I despised all the large London clubs, not least because of the greater publicity they got.

But I still think the enmity, if it is that, really only extends (for the vast majority of people) to the sporting field.

Perhaps Gore Vidal summed it up best, with once again the British media overkill, if England succeed, playing a part as far as I am concerned.

"Every time a friend succeeds, something inside me dies."

[Post edited 28 Mar 8:35]

Never going to support Scotland when we had the Dutch! 78’ the same. And there’s another bunch with some previous!
Never seen this before on 08:49 - Mar 28 with 1820 viewsDJR

Never seen this before on 08:39 - Mar 28 by Bluespeed225

Never going to support Scotland when we had the Dutch! 78’ the same. And there’s another bunch with some previous!

Yes, I don't remember anyone in my school supporting Scotland in '78 either.
Never seen this before on 09:24 - Mar 28 with 1755 viewsleitrimblue

Never seen this before on 08:49 - Mar 28 by DJR

Think I was the only kid supporting Scotland in my school as well.
Had moved back to Haverhill from Arbroath ( I have to confess my first football team) where the father had been working on oil rigs until a few months before world cup started.

He still likes to tell everyone that I thought I was Scottish when I was 6. We were on holiday at some big caravan park in Yarmouth for some of it and apparently I forced him to watch Scotland v Holland game in some kinda large communal tv room 'rammed full of Jocks'
Never seen this before on 09:33 - Mar 28 with 1720 viewsDJR

Never seen this before on 09:24 - Mar 28 by leitrimblue

Had moved back to Haverhill from Arbroath ( I have to confess my first football team) where the father had been working on oil rigs until a few months before world cup started.

He still likes to tell everyone that I thought I was Scottish when I was 6. We were on holiday at some big caravan park in Yarmouth for some of it and apparently I forced him to watch Scotland v Holland game in some kinda large communal tv room 'rammed full of Jocks'

You'll like a Smokie then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroath_smokie
[Post edited 28 Mar 10:07]
Never seen this before on 09:33 - Mar 28 with 1720 viewsKeno

Never seen this before on 09:24 - Mar 28 by leitrimblue

Arbroath in the lovely county of Angus!!

I have a friend from Forfar, the wonderfully nicknamed 'The Loons"

looks like a lovely part of the world

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Never seen this before on 10:06 - Mar 28 with 1655 viewsDJR

Never seen this before on 09:33 - Mar 28 by Keno

And Forfar is famous for its Bridies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridie

Indeed, the football club has a Bridie as its mascot.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/angus-mearns/172476/loons-to-launch-bridie-
Never seen this before on 10:06 - Mar 28 with 1647 viewsleitrimblue

Never seen this before on 09:33 - Mar 28 by DJR

You'll like a Smokie then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroath_smokie
[Post edited 28 Mar 10:07]

I absolutely hate all fish. Pretty sure this is due to spending so much time around the harbour and overdoing Smokies and fish in general as a young child.

I do enjoy a smoke though
Never seen this before on 10:09 - Mar 28 with 1618 viewsleitrimblue

Don't remember that much about the place. Remember it was a tad cold and v windy and I once seen a young Kenny Dalglish play for Celtic against Arbroath in the cup.
Never seen this before on 10:25 - Mar 28 with 1572 viewsKeno

Never seen this before on 10:06 - Mar 28 by DJR

And Forfar is famous for its Bridies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridie

Indeed, the football club has a Bridie as its mascot.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/angus-mearns/172476/loons-to-launch-bridie-

And Forfar is famous for its Bridies

yep and I nearly ruined a friendshop by describing it as a "pasty that has been sat on'

Funny lot the loons

Never seen this before on 10:25 - Mar 28 with 1568 viewsWeWereZombies

Arbroath is OK but it's no Montrose...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Never seen this before on 10:36 - Mar 28 with 1525 viewsleitrimblue

Never seen this before on 10:25 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

Arbroath is OK but it's no Montrose...

Isn't that a bit like preferring Dundalk to Drogheda?
Never seen this before on 12:31 - Mar 28 with 1408 viewsWeWereZombies

Never seen this before on 10:36 - Mar 28 by leitrimblue

Isn't that a bit like preferring Dundalk to Drogheda?

I dunno, I think I have been to both but I can remember neither. I do know that saying Drogheda repeatedly can help to drum out a particular rhythm on a bodhran (which I think cannot be said of Montrose...or Dundalk.)

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Never seen this before on 12:39 - Mar 28 with 1374 viewsleitrimblue

Never seen this before on 12:31 - Mar 28 by WeWereZombies

I dunno, I think I have been to both but I can remember neither. I do know that saying Drogheda repeatedly can help to drum out a particular rhythm on a bodhran (which I think cannot be said of Montrose...or Dundalk.)

'Think I've been to both but I can't remember neither' is actually a perfect description of both places..

Perhaps I'm doing Montrose a misjustice?
Never seen this before on 13:50 - Mar 28 with 1245 viewsKeno

Never seen this before on 12:39 - Mar 28 by leitrimblue

'Think I've been to both but I can't remember neither' is actually a perfect description of both places..

Perhaps I'm doing Montrose a misjustice?

Montrose is ok, but I'm told its no Brechin

Never seen this before on 16:01 - Mar 28 with 1122 viewsChurchman

Never seen this before on 08:49 - Mar 28 by DJR

Nope, no support in my school for Scotland. Lots of laughter when they lost but by and large nobody cared.

Managed to confuse Americans with the rugby thing. We were skiing in Breckenridge Colorado and in the bar after a good day. I wore a rugby shirt with the England rose on it as we were playing Wales the following day. In came a group of Welsh people. They spotted the badge and the conversation began. It was a rather heated debate, not that I had any idea what I was on about. It went well beyond rugby. But it finished with a bet on the result (drinks, nothing serious).

Typically England lost. At home too. Next day in the bar we went, me with my England shirt and a cricket three lions baseball cap. In the Welsh people came, dressed head to foot in Wales gear. They marched up to us looking stern. We looked stern back. The Americans in the bar started getting jittery. Then I put my hands up, said ok, ok, and fulfilled the bet. We then proceeded to have the night to end all nights and a few more as the days went by. Drank the place dry.

The Americans thought we were crazy and very odd. We didn’t care.
Never seen this before on 18:40 - Mar 28 with 1013 viewsDJR

Never seen this before on 13:50 - Mar 28 by Keno

Montrose is ok, but I'm told its no Brechin

Brechin is more interesting than you might think.

Its Round Tower, 25m tall and nearly 5m wide, is one of only two Irish-style round towers still standing in Scotland.

A decoration around the first-floor doorway indicates Brechin Round Tower was built about AD 1100, but a date a century or so earlier cannot be ruled out. Originally free-standing, the tower became attached to Brechin Cathedral in 1806.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/111255
[Post edited 28 Mar 19:59]
Never seen this before on 18:57 - Mar 28 with 982 viewsKeno

Never seen this before on 18:40 - Mar 28 by DJR

Brechin is more interesting than you might think.

Its Round Tower, 25m tall and nearly 5m wide, is one of only two Irish-style round towers still standing in Scotland.

A decoration around the first-floor doorway indicates Brechin Round Tower was built about AD 1100, but a date a century or so earlier cannot be ruled out. Originally free-standing, the tower became attached to Brechin Cathedral in 1806.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/111255
[Post edited 28 Mar 19:59]

a very impressive erection!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024