Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ewood Park memories.... 14:05 - Mar 28 with 1758 viewsITFC_Forever

Mine start with an almost.... got back from holiday a couple of days before the away game in August 1991 and me and mate (both of us age 16) decided to go at the last minute.
Travel coaches were sold out, and train was £27, which to us at the time was far more than we could pay (would be a bargain now!). So we didn't go, and one of the early marker wins was missed.

Went in 1994 for the 0-0 great esacape - when Mark Stein scored, it didn't register to begin with that the Blunts were still in the mix, we were concentrating on Everton and Southampton's results.

Went again the following January for a Shearer hattrick in a 1-4 defeat, which was par for the course that season.

FA Cup replay the following season was far more fun and was a real coming of age performance from Richard Wright as we won 1-0 thanks to Mason's 116th minute winner.

Next up was a 2-2 draw in November 1999 when we were a goal down after 30 seconds, somone (Matt Holland?) put a penalty into orbit for us, but Tony Mowbray scored a 90th minute volley from outside the box to secure a 2-2 draw.

March 2002 saw us lose 1-2 in a midweek relegation six-pointer - had we beaten them, we would have dragged them into the scrap. We went 0-2 and played poorly before improving, getting one back, but ultimately losing.

Then my last time there saw us lose 0-1 to a Jordan Rhodes goal in March 2013 in a pretty drab match as far as I can remember. The day was best remembered for the 40th birthday celebrations in Manchester of a couple of our friends, where one of our mates got one of the dancers in a certain club to put his ITFC top on - "no-one's ever asked me to put clothes ON before" was her quote.

[Post edited 28 Mar 14:11]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ewood Park memories.... on 14:27 - Mar 28 with 1682 viewspatrickswell

I only go to a couple of games each season, but having been at Portman Road when we beat Nottingham Forest in April 2015 to go back into 6th place with 1 game remaining, I decided that I had to be at Ewood Park the following week to see whether we would clinch our place or miss out. We had 78 points and looked like missing out. So, I drove up from Orpington. One day we’re going to have a huge points total and cruise either into automatic promotion or the top 6.

I felt sick with nerves as the game started, but Daryl Murphy scored early to settle us down. But Blackburn did their bit for the integrity of the league by coming back at us strong and leading 2-1 at half time. Derby were losing 1-0 at home to Reading, so we still had 6th place, but when Blackburn extended their lead, the mood felt grim. I discovered that day though, the thrill of being in a football crowd when good news spreads. Derby went 2-0 down to Reading and the party started in the away end, despite us being 3-1 down. Final score at Pride Park was 3-0 to Reading and our own 3-2 defeat was irrelevant. I remember Luke Chambers being interviewed by Blackburn’s PA man which I thought was a nice guesture and Jordan Rhodes discreetly clapping us as Blackburn did their end of season lap of honour.
I walked away just so pleased that we’d made the play-offs. I think I felt more tense for that Blackburn game than I did about the Norwich matches.
[Post edited 28 Mar 14:28]
Ewood Park memories.... on 14:37 - Mar 28 with 1637 viewsITFC_Forever

Ewood Park memories.... on 14:27 - Mar 28 by patrickswell

I only go to a couple of games each season, but having been at Portman Road when we beat Nottingham Forest in April 2015 to go back into 6th place with 1 game remaining, I decided that I had to be at Ewood Park the following week to see whether we would clinch our place or miss out. We had 78 points and looked like missing out. So, I drove up from Orpington. One day we’re going to have a huge points total and cruise either into automatic promotion or the top 6.

I felt sick with nerves as the game started, but Daryl Murphy scored early to settle us down. But Blackburn did their bit for the integrity of the league by coming back at us strong and leading 2-1 at half time. Derby were losing 1-0 at home to Reading, so we still had 6th place, but when Blackburn extended their lead, the mood felt grim. I discovered that day though, the thrill of being in a football crowd when good news spreads. Derby went 2-0 down to Reading and the party started in the away end, despite us being 3-1 down. Final score at Pride Park was 3-0 to Reading and our own 3-2 defeat was irrelevant. I remember Luke Chambers being interviewed by Blackburn’s PA man which I thought was a nice guesture and Jordan Rhodes discreetly clapping us as Blackburn did their end of season lap of honour.
I walked away just so pleased that we’d made the play-offs. I think I felt more tense for that Blackburn game than I did about the Norwich matches.

I didn't go to that one (kids were younger and wife was working), so I watched it on Sky.

I refused to believe we would miss out on the POs after having a decent season, but we nearly managed it....

Come to think of it, Blackburn was the scene of the beloved red and black kit in which Simon Milton scored a screamer in a 1-2 defeat Monday night match on Sky.

Ewood Park memories.... on 15:10 - Mar 28 with 1578 viewsiamatractorboy

I was at that 2-2 in 1999. I believe that Blackburn had just sacked their manager after a poor run, so naturally when they scored after literally 20 seconds, I thought 'Ah b*gger here comes the new (caretaker) manager bounce'. Early second half and a penalty made it 2-0, by that point I'd written the game off. I've only been to 2 away games and the other, funnily enough, was also 2-2, away at Huddersfield. Both times we scored very late goals to equalise.
Ewood Park memories.... on 15:24 - Mar 28 with 1535 viewsEastTownBlue

Ewood Park memories.... on 14:27 - Mar 28 by patrickswell

78 points was a then record for sixth place (Fulham have since got 80). Not to forget it was also a record points haul for Peterborough to be relegated in 22nd place when we were up against it when McCarthy took over during the 12/13 season.

My first visit to Ewood Park was for that 2-2 draw back in 1999. That was the best result I have seen us get there in five previous visits. Hopefully tomorrow will see my first win.
Ewood Park memories.... on 16:04 - Mar 28 with 1478 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is it true that after his hat trick Shearer said "Theres no easy games in the Premiership.... except Ipswich at home!!"

....or is that a myth.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:04 - Mar 28 with 1469 viewsITFC_Forever

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:04 - Mar 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Is it true that after his hat trick Shearer said "Theres no easy games in the Premiership.... except Ipswich at home!!"

....or is that a myth.

No, it was after Man U beat us 0-9, but he did say it.

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:04 - Mar 28 with 1468 viewsIllinoisblue

Was at the August 1991 game. Long ol trek on the travel club coach that was. Never went back.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:05 - Mar 28 with 1465 viewsEastTownBlue

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:04 - Mar 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

....or is that a myth.

That was following our 9-0 defeat at Old Trafford.
Login to get fewer ads

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:17 - Mar 28 with 1409 viewsgainsboroughblue

Went in November 1989. We let a 2 goal lead slip and conceded an equaliser in injury time. Doesn't sound like the sort of thing we do does it?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:43 - Mar 28 with 1356 viewsMach_foreignBlue

ITFC_Forever that was Venus who sent the ball from 12 yards into the orbit back in November 1999. Remember having watched this game on Swedish satellite channel.

One of the damned grounds for me as I have yet to see us win up there. 6 visits, 5 defeats, 1 draw. That draw was a 0-0 zone a few years ago, dullest mccarthyism.

Stand-out thing from those defeats? Jordan Rhodes taking a piss out of us.
[Post edited 28 Mar 18:40]
Ewood Park memories.... on 16:46 - Mar 28 with 1349 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:04 - Mar 28 by ITFC_Forever

No, it was after Man U beat us 0-9, but he did say it.

Fair comment at the time!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:59 - Mar 28 with 1330 viewsITFC_Forever

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:43 - Mar 28 by Mach_foreignBlue

ITFC_Forever that was Venus who sent the ball from 12 yards into the orbit back in November 1999. Remember having watched this game on Swedish satellite channel.

One of the damned grounds for me as I have yet to see us win up there. 6 visits, 5 defeats, 1 draw. That draw was a 0-0 zone a few years ago, dullest mccarthyism.

Stand-out thing from those defeats? Jordan Rhodes taking a piss out of us.
[Post edited 28 Mar 18:40]

Ah, yes, Venus... that was it - I think the ball was heading in that direction as well.

Did wonder when I typed it what Matt Holland would have been doing taking a penalty to be fair - I think he scored our first goal before Mogga's equaliser.

Ewood Park memories.... on 17:48 - Mar 28 with 1259 viewsStevieH

I was at this one …….
Also went there the following season and also for the 0-0 in 94
[Post edited 28 Mar 18:49]
Ewood Park memories.... on 18:19 - Mar 28 with 1199 viewsrunaround

Ewood Park memories.... on 17:48 - Mar 28 by StevieH

I was at this one …….
Also went there the following season and also for the 0-0 in 94
[Post edited 28 Mar 18:49]

I was at both games in 1991 at Ewood and the final day 0-0 in 1994 so have enjoyed my trips there.
Unfortunately can’t make tomorrow though
Ewood Park memories.... on 20:13 - Mar 28 with 1089 viewsallezlesbleus

Been there a few times.

Once was for the Full Members Cup (or something similar) midweek semi final defeat.

One of the few grounds where I can remember a "National Front" flag regularly being displayed in the side stand near the away end.
Ewood Park memories.... on 20:20 - Mar 28 with 1078 viewsPendejo

Ewood Park memories.... on 20:13 - Mar 28 by allezlesbleus

Been there a few times.

Once was for the Full Members Cup (or something similar) midweek semi final defeat.

One of the few grounds where I can remember a "National Front" flag regularly being displayed in the side stand near the away end.

Respect!

I know some folks who did this and said it got a bit tasty afterwards with little or no police intervention.

Don't know it was same night but I went to the other SF - Charlton v Naaaridge at Selhurst Park. Where it also got a bit tasty.
Also bet to the Final, where Charlton attacked Blackburn at the station, absolute chaos.
Late 80s football eh?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Ewood Park memories.... on 20:29 - Mar 28 with 1054 viewsPendejo

1994 the 0-0, parked at a big pub near away end.
Remember driving up M66 and taking the pish out of some place called Whitefield, ended up living there just over 2 years later...

From where attended the 2-2 in 99. Took my 3yo daughter and 18mo son. He cried all match she sang and won hearts of stewards.

Wish I could be there tomorrow.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Ewood Park memories.... on 21:20 - Mar 28 with 977 viewsTheBoyBlue

Ewood Park memories.... on 15:24 - Mar 28 by EastTownBlue

78 points was a then record for sixth place (Fulham have since got 80). Not to forget it was also a record points haul for Peterborough to be relegated in 22nd place when we were up against it when McCarthy took over during the 12/13 season.

My first visit to Ewood Park was for that 2-2 draw back in 1999. That was the best result I have seen us get there in five previous visits. Hopefully tomorrow will see my first win.

What is it with us being involved in record promotion/relegation races? I'm hoping that if we don't go up this season that we're promoted by the end of March next season.

Or if we do go up that we've secured our Champions League spot with a few games to spare.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Ewood Park memories.... on 21:24 - Mar 28 with 965 viewsTractorWood

The kind of damp squib game under Mick Ma is my only memory.

Heading up tomorrow. Upatowen.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Ewood Park memories.... on 22:39 - Mar 28 with 894 viewspatrickswell

Ewood Park memories.... on 16:46 - Mar 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Fair comment at the time!!

Indeed it was, but still quite funny that the next time he played at home to Ipswich after making that quip, he lost.
Ewood Park memories.... on 00:59 - Mar 29 with 800 viewsStu_boy

November 1999, 2 2 away, 2 0 down then holland, veno skied a pen and mogga scored probably one of the best goals i've seen to the present day to make it 2 2 in the final seconds
Ewood Park memories.... on 08:22 - Mar 29 with 678 viewsbluestandard

Ewood Park memories.... on 22:39 - Mar 28 by patrickswell

Indeed it was, but still quite funny that the next time he played at home to Ipswich after making that quip, he lost.

Exactly, I remember finding it more than mildly amusing that he couldn't score against us over 210 minutes (120 at home) given what he said only 10 months before.
Ewood Park memories.... on 09:44 - Mar 29 with 629 viewspatrickswell

Ewood Park memories.... on 08:22 - Mar 29 by bluestandard

Exactly, I remember finding it more than mildly amusing that he couldn't score against us over 210 minutes (120 at home) given what he said only 10 months before.

For me, the best thing about the win at Blackburn in 96 wasn’t about Shearer suffering any kind of karmic payback, but that it was achieved by a 14 man squad featuring 12 players who to greater or lesser degrees had represented us throughout that dire 1994/95 season. 5 of them (Wark, Williams, Sedgeley, Mathie and Marshall) had played in the 9-0 as well. Even Craig Forrest, who effectively saw his Town career ended by Richard Wright’s performance that night, got a sliver of redemption by having kept a clean sheet against them in the first game.
Of greatest importance though, it was the result/game which got the club moving again under George Burley after a first year which had been traumatic up to end of 94/95 and cautious through the first half of 95/96. The boost to confidence and self belief that result must have given to the team and club at the time must have been huge.
Ewood Park memories.... on 10:00 - Mar 29 with 619 viewsiamatractorboy

Ewood Park memories.... on 00:59 - Mar 29 by Stu_boy

November 1999, 2 2 away, 2 0 down then holland, veno skied a pen and mogga scored probably one of the best goals i've seen to the present day to make it 2 2 in the final seconds

Ewood Park memories.... on 01:50 - Mar 30 with 495 viewsITFC_Forever

And can add today (yesterday?) to the list as well.

Nightmare journey up there and back at 01.15.

But eldest daughter’s first away game, youngest’s first win (at the second attempt), three points and top of the league.

COYFB….

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024