Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hive help New York Stay advice please. 12:07 - Mar 29 with 716 viewsearlsgreenblue

1st, I might park at Gatwick if required.
2nd, anniversary trip & my birthday.
3rd, Where’s best area to stay for sightseeing & using metro etc?
We’ve never been & chief hen fancies it so off we go, I don’t have any contacts that side of the pond so rather than stumble blindly on my hen suggested I ask on here as in the past it’s been a good source of info, so any suggestions please?
It will be in early May so anywhere to watch the Towen whilst in town would be even better.
Thanks in advance.
Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 12:21 - Mar 29 with 679 viewsitfckenty

I would 100% stay as close to times Square as possible, last time I went, which was a few years ago, we stayed in a hotel opposite Madison Square gardens, was about a 10min walk to times Square (which is perfect for the evenings) and it ends up a little cheaper due to not being directly in times Square. (Hotel was ok, nothing overly special but did the job) For football. I'm not overly sure, but the place has so many Irish and British pubs out there, so I'd recommend searching for one around times Square area. Most places you can walk to, and most streets are safe, obviously you still have to keep your wits, but overall that's a good location to be based. If you both love sports in general. Id definitely recommend doing a sports game. I did the NBA (which is amazing) but you may just miss the season in may. (Could be playoffs) Happy to answer any other questions mate, I've been quite a few times.
Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 12:27 - Mar 29 with 664 viewsLord_Lucan

I would recommend having a beer in Central Station and do some serious people watching.

I suppose you have to do Empire State, Central Park, Chinatown and Little Italy.

You could go in that Harry met Sally Diner for a salted beef sandwich and then walk through Chinatown and Little Italy.

Central park is quite nice actually, if you are interested you could enter by The Dakota and see where Lennon was shot - but the guards won't let you hang about.

I would recommend Bleeker Street for night time shenanigans.

If you have time then hire a car and drive out a bit

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 12:56 - Mar 29 with 618 viewsbluelagos

Best tip is to use the Statten Island ferry. Think it's free - and gives amazing views of the Manhatten skyline as well as the statue of Liberty.

If you live your history - Ellis Island is well worth a visit - details the migration experiences through NYC from the 1800s. It was a processing center for much of that time.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 12:59 - Mar 29 with 612 viewsJ2BLUE

A good source of info? Has she got the right site?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 13:03 - Mar 29 with 606 viewsitfckenty

Another tip. Go to Ellens Stardust Diner. We went for breakfast and it was quality.they basically have performers who are in the west end, they sing while you eat. Was really good.
Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 13:20 - Mar 29 with 567 viewsRadioOrwell

Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 12:21 - Mar 29 by itfckenty

I would 100% stay as close to times Square as possible, last time I went, which was a few years ago, we stayed in a hotel opposite Madison Square gardens, was about a 10min walk to times Square (which is perfect for the evenings) and it ends up a little cheaper due to not being directly in times Square. (Hotel was ok, nothing overly special but did the job) For football. I'm not overly sure, but the place has so many Irish and British pubs out there, so I'd recommend searching for one around times Square area. Most places you can walk to, and most streets are safe, obviously you still have to keep your wits, but overall that's a good location to be based. If you both love sports in general. Id definitely recommend doing a sports game. I did the NBA (which is amazing) but you may just miss the season in may. (Could be playoffs) Happy to answer any other questions mate, I've been quite a few times.

Funny really, I would avoid Times Sq like the plague. It's awful.
Below 30th is better.
23rd st is good. Along there to Chelsea and Greenwich Village.
Union Sq is good - easy access to Houston and downtown.

Otherwise 50th and above for the Park and posh shops - if you like that sort of thing.
Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 13:51 - Mar 29 with 534 viewsLord_Lucan

Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 13:03 - Mar 29 by itfckenty

Another tip. Go to Ellens Stardust Diner. We went for breakfast and it was quality.they basically have performers who are in the west end, they sing while you eat. Was really good.

I think that would drive me mad

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 13:56 - Mar 29 with 514 viewsJ2BLUE

Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 13:51 - Mar 29 by Lord_Lucan

I think that would drive me mad

Agree, sounds like hell.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 15:20 - Mar 29 with 444 viewsBluespeed225

Do all drinking below 14th, or on Upper West side. 'Jimmys Corner bar' was the only midtown bar worth using, but not sure if it saw out covid? He was an old boxing corner man, knew everyone in the 70's golden era of heavyweights, and whatever weight it was in the 80's with Hagler and Co.
Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 16:24 - Mar 29 with 406 viewssoupytwist

I asked a similar question a few months back -
New York accommodation advice wanted. by soupytwist 10 Oct 2023 16:35
Planning a wedding anniversary trip to New York around this time next year.
Historically, there's been loads of New York travel-related advice on here but most of it pre-dates the pandemic and the city's recent crackdown on unlicensed AirBnB rentals.
Does anyone have any post-pandemic advice on which parts of New York to stay in for a first timer and recommendations for hotels/accommodation rentals please?
We'd like to do most of the usual things - Central Park, Ellis Island, MoMA, go up a tall building etc. and there will be just the two of us.
Thanks

Haven't booked anywhere yet but will get that organised soon.
Hive help New York Stay advice please. on 17:28 - Mar 29 with 374 viewsbluefunk

I’ve stayed in hotels on the East side, between 42nd and 53rd and been pleased with the location for visiting the standard tourist sites, The Benjamin and The Kimberley were both reasonable when we stayed there, the latter has a trendy rooftop bar, and the subway stop is 100 yds away.

Things to do,
Bryant Park on 42nd, for morning coffee outside, next to the New York Library, which is a lovely building, then on to Grand Central Station, which is a must do.

Staton Island Ferry, simply go across and straight back, it’s free and passes the Statue of Liberty and provides some wonderful views of lower Manhattan from the river. Then walk back north up Broadway, through to Wall Street, and then on to the Twin Towers memorial .

Have lunch at The Boat House in Central Park, but make sure you book. Take your time ordering as they will try and rush you out.

There’s a bar on 33rd across from the Empire State Building which is known for its football coverage, can’t remember the name - Legends.maybe.

DM me if you feel the need, I had loads of help from TWTD the first time i went to NYC, happy to return the favour
[Post edited 29 Mar 17:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024