Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action 12:25 - Apr 15 with 1276 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68790535

'Nottingham Forest will consider installing a memorial at the City Ground to remember those who died as a result of the Hillsborough disaster, says chairman Tom Cartledge...Former Forest defender Brian Laws, who played in the game that was abandoned at Hillsborough, says the club should have "done something earlier" to mark the tragedy...Diane Lynn*, who escaped the deadly crush in the Leppings Lane end at Hillsborough, supports calls for a tribute at Forest's ground.

"It would just mean so much to people who were at Hillsborough," she said.

"It's a meeting point, a place to talk, and I do think it is something that is needed in Nottingham'

Edit: *Liverpool fan and Hillsborough Survivors Support Alliance vice-chair
[Post edited 15 Apr 12:27]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 12:31 - Apr 15 with 1226 viewsJ2BLUE

Seems a little odd to me. Surely Hillsborough and Anfield should have memorials?

I wouldn't say the City Ground needs another one but if they think it's fitting it's never too late.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 12:35 - Apr 15 with 1200 viewsPlums

I read that article last week and it's a really interesting piece. The damage to all the people who witnessed the horror has never been addressed - because they weren't considered to be the 'main victims'.
Whether there's a memorial or not is down to Forest but there are many in this city who simply say 'I was at Hillsborough' and nothing more. I think we ought to start asking them if they're OK.
[Post edited 15 Apr 12:37]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 13:34 - Apr 15 with 1032 viewsSteve_M

Brain Laws is correct, but it's right that something is done now. Especially given some Forest fans seem to have indulged in tragedy chanting in recent seasons.

Brian Clough also tarnished his legacy by regurgitating the old lies about Hillsborough.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 13:39 - Apr 15 with 1001 viewsyorkshireblue

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 12:35 - Apr 15 by Plums

I read that article last week and it's a really interesting piece. The damage to all the people who witnessed the horror has never been addressed - because they weren't considered to be the 'main victims'.
Whether there's a memorial or not is down to Forest but there are many in this city who simply say 'I was at Hillsborough' and nothing more. I think we ought to start asking them if they're OK.
[Post edited 15 Apr 12:37]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p0hptgq1
Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 13:49 - Apr 15 with 955 viewsbluelagos

I know Dianne well, she's a good person. When she was interviewed by the WMP, the copper who took her statement went for a drink with her that evening and tried to get his leg over, telling her his wife wouldn't find out.

Speaks volumes for some that worked for the police at the time, taking a statement off a traumatised young women and seeing it as an opportunity for a leg over. Scum.

Back to the OP, don't think it's for me or anyone else to pontificate on what Forest do. The "meeting place" is for Forest fans who witnessed the events and clearly some of them have been traumatised by what they saw. If they feel it would be useful then all good.

It will also build bridges between supporters at a time when it is increasingly fashionable for ignorant arseholes to engage in tragedy chanting.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 15:09 - Apr 15 with 799 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 12:31 - Apr 15 by J2BLUE

Seems a little odd to me. Surely Hillsborough and Anfield should have memorials?

I wouldn't say the City Ground needs another one but if they think it's fitting it's never too late.

I don't think having a memorial at the City Ground is odd, if the thousands of Forest fans who witnessed the disaster feel it would be useful.

Those fans watched nearly 100 die that day.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 15:24 - Apr 15 with 745 viewsJ2BLUE

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 15:09 - Apr 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't think having a memorial at the City Ground is odd, if the thousands of Forest fans who witnessed the disaster feel it would be useful.

Those fans watched nearly 100 die that day.

Yes it's a fair point, i'm not saying they shouldn't have one.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 16:19 - Apr 15 with 692 viewsITFC_Forever

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 13:34 - Apr 15 by Steve_M

Brain Laws is correct, but it's right that something is done now. Especially given some Forest fans seem to have indulged in tragedy chanting in recent seasons.

Brian Clough also tarnished his legacy by regurgitating the old lies about Hillsborough.

You can be sure those shaming the Forest name with the tragedy chanting aren't old enough to remember it.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 18:52 - Apr 15 with 573 viewsIllinoisblue

No paywall for this Athletic piece on the stories of the survivors. Heartbreaking. And a powerful reminder of just how many lives were and still are deeply affected by the tragedy.

https://theathletic.com/5410240/2024/04/15/hillsborough-liverpool-survivors-anni

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 19:51 - Apr 15 with 509 viewsITFC_Forever

Forest Hillsborough memorial - too late, too much or just an appropriate action on 18:52 - Apr 15 by Illinoisblue

No paywall for this Athletic piece on the stories of the survivors. Heartbreaking. And a powerful reminder of just how many lives were and still are deeply affected by the tragedy.

https://theathletic.com/5410240/2024/04/15/hillsborough-liverpool-survivors-anni

That was a tough read.

JFT97.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024