Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most Important Game of the Season, so far. 14:46 - Apr 17 with 1082 viewsLen_Brennan

At 12:30pm next Saturday, Leicester City host West Bromich Albion in a little talked about game, which has been somewhat lost in the conversation around Southampton's games with the other big two, & the general permutations of the run in.
But for me, this is a key game, as a Leicester win boosts their chances by putting them 2 points clear of us, with a better goal difference, as well getting their confidence & form back on track at a crucial time. It means that we would have to go to Hull City and win in order to go back ahead of them, even if they lose at home to Southampton ... which brings me to the WBA side of my point.
For months West Brom have looked nailed on for the playoffs, but now Norwich are only a point behind them & have their next 2 at home, so have every chance to take 5th spot off them. The only other club that could realistically catch West Brom, & deny them a playoff spot, are Hull City, who are 7 points behind but with a game in hand. That could be down to one point by the time we play Hull on our return to football on Saturday week, IF Hull win their game this weekend, plus their game in hand AND West Brom lose to Leicester. That would not be an ideal situation for us, coming back in a must win away game.
A West Brom win/Leicester defeat would be perfect for us, but even the draw would be a great result for us, in more than 1 way.
Most Important Game of the Season, so far. on 17:02 - Apr 17 with 826 viewsVegtablue

It sure is Len, though hopefully Hull's next two away games will see their challenge drift away by the time we play.

My hope from all these fixtures is a simple one. I want to arrive at the Hull game with the knowledge that we can afford to lose one game; that 6 points will definitely be enough. With three teams now in the hunt again, we want any two to run into difficulty.

Leicester are clearly most capable of reaching 95+ points. Southampton alone can't deliver a critical hit on them. 1 point from their next 2 games would set them up for 95, with their penultimate game taking place after we face Hull. Losing to both West Brom and Southampton would be brilliant for us. Leicester could only then finish on 94, and they'd need to beat Preston and Blackburn to achieve this.

Leeds and Southampton can't finish on 95 points, but one of them can hit 96. Hit 96 and we'd likely need three wins to finish above whichever team achieves this (certainly if Leeds, probably if Southampton, given what four more wins would do to their GD). Southampton winning their next three is bad news, just as much as Leeds winning their next two is. It would leave a 66-75% chance of one of them reaching 96, while the probability of us reaching 98 is closer to 10-20%. The sooner both drop points, the sooner we know we can afford to lose one.

In the unlikely event Leeds lose to Middlesbrough, which would be incredible, I would then be hoping Leicester beat Southampton. That would instantly drop their ceilings down to 93 points, or 91 if they draw on the final day. We'd go into the Hull game knowing 5 points would do it.
Most Important Game of the Season, so far. on 18:16 - Apr 17 with 714 viewsNutkins_Return

Definitely a game with. If implications but there is only one biggest game of the season and that's Hull. It will then be Cov and then hopefully Huddersfield. As much as I'm with you and looking at/analysing everything. Ultimately team just need to look at our own matches and win them.
Most Important Game of the Season, so far. on 19:39 - Apr 17 with 587 viewsLeaky

No most important game is hull v town win our games we are promoted. No point working about the others
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024