Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! 17:26 - Apr 27 with 3141 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68913287

EDIT: Whilst I agree with his present analysis, I am not sure I would with his analysis of the party he was elected into.

"I found it increasingly difficult to look my NHS colleagues in the eye, my patients in the eye, and my constituents in the eye with good conscience."

He suggested the party had stopped valuing public services, saying: "The difficulty for the Conservative Party is that the party I was elected into valued public services... it had a compassionate view about supporting the more disadvantaged in society.

"I think the Conservative Party today is in a very different place."
[Post edited 27 Apr 17:28]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:30 - Apr 27 with 2116 viewspointofblue

First time Central Suffolk and Ipswich North have had a Labour MP. He had a majority of nearly 24k in 2019 so unlikely the seat will swing at the next election - it'll be a wipeout for the Conservatives if it does.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:31 - Apr 27 with 2100 viewsbackwaywhen

Jumping ship before he loses his seat …….chicken livered .
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:33 - Apr 27 with 2073 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:31 - Apr 27 by backwaywhen

Jumping ship before he loses his seat …….chicken livered .

Stated he won't stand in the next election.

I think he is more principled than most politicians.

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:35 - Apr 27 with 2046 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:30 - Apr 27 by pointofblue

First time Central Suffolk and Ipswich North have had a Labour MP. He had a majority of nearly 24k in 2019 so unlikely the seat will swing at the next election - it'll be a wipeout for the Conservatives if it does.

Whilst what you say is true, anyone in his constituency who pays attention can't ignore that he is spot on.

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:36 - Apr 27 with 2032 viewspointofblue

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:35 - Apr 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

Whilst what you say is true, anyone in his constituency who pays attention can't ignore that he is spot on.

Oh they can. Trust me, I live in it. They can.

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:37 - Apr 27 with 2022 viewsJ2BLUE

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:33 - Apr 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

Why now though? He's just cleansing himself of that Tory link before he moves on.
[Post edited 27 Apr 18:03]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:37 - Apr 27 with 2015 viewsbluelagos

Just cos he's not as much of a tosser as Hunt or Coffee doesn't change the fact that he still voted for austerity, dumping sh1t in rivers, Rwanda etc.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:42 - Apr 27 with 1930 viewsLeoMuff

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:33 - Apr 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

As a doctor he has stood by while the NHS its patients, and staff have been utterly shafted, as well as all other public institutions, shame he didn’t notice 14 years ago.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Login to get fewer ads

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:51 - Apr 27 with 1869 viewsTrequartista

Wow that's a shocker.

I can understand his disillusionment with the current Tory Party and therefore wanting to step down, but it always seems strange when an MP joins an opposing party. It lacks any credibility after all the negative statements he would have made about Labour over the years.

It just seems as though he has no interest in being Labour politician (hence stepping down at the general election), but just wanted to stay on as an MP. Would have thought joining the LibDems would have made more sense.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:56 - Apr 27 with 1824 viewsEastTownBlue

Does anyone actually respect an MP that does this ? Probably not as he gets attacked from both sides.
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:04 - Apr 27 with 1751 viewsBlueBadger

What I find genuinely astonishing i that it's taken him this long to work out that possibly the Tories may not have the best interests of the NHS at heart.
[Post edited 27 Apr 18:10]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:05 - Apr 27 with 1732 viewsBlueBadger

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:37 - Apr 27 by bluelagos

Just cos he's not as much of a tosser as Hunt or Coffee doesn't change the fact that he still voted for austerity, dumping sh1t in rivers, Rwanda etc.

And he's stood by, for 15 years as an NHS employee and allowed *gestures around* all this to happen to the NHS.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:07 - Apr 27 with 1721 viewsBlueBadger

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:51 - Apr 27 by Trequartista

Wow that's a shocker.

I can understand his disillusionment with the current Tory Party and therefore wanting to step down, but it always seems strange when an MP joins an opposing party. It lacks any credibility after all the negative statements he would have made about Labour over the years.

It just seems as though he has no interest in being Labour politician (hence stepping down at the general election), but just wanted to stay on as an MP. Would have thought joining the LibDems would have made more sense.

He'd have jumped a long, long LONG time ago if he had any genuine remorse over what the Tories have done and are doing to healthcare in the UK.

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:08 - Apr 27 with 1710 viewsbluelagos

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:56 - Apr 27 by EastTownBlue

Does anyone actually respect an MP that does this ? Probably not as he gets attacked from both sides.

Had he spent the last few years publicly challenging the Tory policies he now has a problem with, then I can see how you can argue the need to switch.

But he hasn't. He has voted along party lines for the worst most dangerous government in my memory and hardly has a record as a rebel speaking as the NHS has been continuously under resourced.

So I won't respect his decision - it shows him up for no more than an opportunist who was happy go along with being a Tory MP for the past 14 years, supporting PMs Johnson, Truss and now Sunak.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:19 - Apr 27 with 1648 viewsGeoffSentence

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:51 - Apr 27 by Trequartista

Wow that's a shocker.

He intends to act as an advisor on health matters to yje jabour party, so whilst no longer being a westminster politician he will be active in Labour.

He's gone labour because he believes they serve the interests of the NHS best.

It's all pretty clear when you read what he he said.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:20 - Apr 27 with 1646 viewsPlums

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:05 - Apr 27 by BlueBadger

And he's stood by, for 15 years as an NHS employee and allowed *gestures around* all this to happen to the NHS.

are you suggesting he may have turned a blind eye whilst he had another form of income but now he'll rely on the NHS to pay his way, he's realised it's f*kd? Surely not.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:20 - Apr 27 with 1640 viewsChurchman

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 17:37 - Apr 27 by bluelagos

Exactly this. Trying to salvage a scrap of credibility given what he has supported says everything you need to know about him. It was obvious to the Klingons light years away years ago what this sorry shower were up to, so why get all principled now?

I never understand why when a politician does the turncoat thing there isn’t automatically a by-election. There certainly should be. I get the theory that people vote for the person rather than the party, but is that really the case?

A chum I was with yesterday says he will be supporting the Tory in his constituency because he’s done good things so maybe, but I doubt he would if he was a Labour MP.

My MP will be re-elected because one of the many turds in the river would get the nod if it had a blue flag on a cocktail stick stuck in it - that’s Sevenoaks for you.

But she could be a combo of Mother Theresa, Angel Gabriel and Sooty for all I care. She abstained from booting out Johnson so for that alone she’d never get my vote and that’s before you get to the rest of the sorry tale of disgustingness.
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:25 - Apr 27 with 1601 viewsGeoffSentence

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:20 - Apr 27 by Churchman

Exactly this. Trying to salvage a scrap of credibility given what he has supported says everything you need to know about him. It was obvious to the Klingons light years away years ago what this sorry shower were up to, so why get all principled now?

I never understand why when a politician does the turncoat thing there isn’t automatically a by-election. There certainly should be. I get the theory that people vote for the person rather than the party, but is that really the case?

A chum I was with yesterday says he will be supporting the Tory in his constituency because he’s done good things so maybe, but I doubt he would if he was a Labour MP.

My MP will be re-elected because one of the many turds in the river would get the nod if it had a blue flag on a cocktail stick stuck in it - that’s Sevenoaks for you.

But she could be a combo of Mother Theresa, Angel Gabriel and Sooty for all I care. She abstained from booting out Johnson so for that alone she’d never get my vote and that’s before you get to the rest of the sorry tale of disgustingness.

The lack of by-election in thse case is, I think, because of the technicality that theoretically we elect a person to serve as a constituency MP, not a party.

It's nonsense of course, at general elections everyone votes on a party basis, and therefore it would make sense to have a by-election upon a party switch.

In this specific case, and also maybe Lee Anderson, the general election is pretty close, no more than 8 months away, so does not make much sense to have a by-election.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:32 - Apr 27 with 1563 viewsVic

I live in his constituency - and I think it could be a very close run thing. Very few conservatives are safe at the moment. Johnson hoodwinked a lot of people and his bluster quickly unravelled, with no one able to provide any substance since.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:36 - Apr 27 with 1530 viewsChurchman

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:25 - Apr 27 by GeoffSentence

The lack of by-election in thse case is, I think, because of the technicality that theoretically we elect a person to serve as a constituency MP, not a party.

It's nonsense of course, at general elections everyone votes on a party basis, and therefore it would make sense to have a by-election upon a party switch.

In this specific case, and also maybe Lee Anderson, the general election is pretty close, no more than 8 months away, so does not make much sense to have a by-election.

I know and you are right of course. It just feels wrong on principle to me not least because he no longer represents the people that voted for him.
Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:42 - Apr 27 with 1497 viewsDubtractor

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:32 - Apr 27 by Vic

I live in his constituency - and I think it could be a very close run thing. Very few conservatives are safe at the moment. Johnson hoodwinked a lot of people and his bluster quickly unravelled, with no one able to provide any substance since.

Vic, honest question for you.

I think I'm right in saying that your a bit of a traditional tory voter? What do you and yours make of the current lot, and what they stand for?

Not looking to catch you out, and understand if you'd prefer not to answer for fear of being jumped on.

I'm also in this constituency, and didn't rate my chances of getting a labour mp when we moved last year!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:47 - Apr 27 with 1465 viewspointofblue

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:32 - Apr 27 by Vic

I live there too. Maybe I'm just surrounded by people who feel like they'll stick with the Conservatives.

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 18:54 - Apr 27 with 1435 viewsbaxterbasics

He’s my MP, I’ve voted for him previously but wasn’t going to this time in any colour, the lockdown loving authoritarian gimp.

But for the constituency to turn properly red in election time would be a massive switch, can’t see that happening.

Also..

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 19:08 - Apr 27 with 1353 viewsTrequartista

Labour have almost doubled the area of land they rule in the South and East of England in one fell swoop (I know this isn't Risk and its population that counts, but looks nicer on the map from their perspective)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Dr Dan Poulter defects to Labour! on 19:15 - Apr 27 with 1298 viewsClapham_Junction

I'm not sure it would be a huge shock. The constituency largely overlaps Mid Suffolk district (with the addition of northern Ipswich) and the Greens received a majority (57%) of the vote in the local elections to the district council last year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024