Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. 23:00 - Apr 27 with 1923 viewsbazza

hopefully they won’t be looking to go out with a bang on a Tuesday night against us. And rest a few for Saturday, for the final game, probably won’t be a massive crowd from them either.
As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 23:57 - Apr 27 with 1801 viewsSufferingCovFan

No reason for us to.

As you say, teams look to give their best performance on the last day to give the fans (and sponsors) something positive going into the off-season.

As for crowd, I created this image to help fans understand why they think our ground is always half empty.

Camera gantry was placed there at inception at Sky's demand so they could capture managers reactions to incidents. But it now hides the main grouping of home fans.

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 00:22 - Apr 28 with 1752 viewsgainsboroughblue

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 23:57 - Apr 27 by SufferingCovFan

No reason for us to.

As you say, teams look to give their best performance on the last day to give the fans (and sponsors) something positive going into the off-season.

As for crowd, I created this image to help fans understand why they think our ground is always half empty.

Camera gantry was placed there at inception at Sky's demand so they could capture managers reactions to incidents. But it now hides the main grouping of home fans.

Not sure why they would think that. Wasn't there 30k in there against Leeds?

Fond memories of Coventry away days. Highfield Road was a good old skool ground which generated a great atmosphere. Brilliant boozer near the ground too, the Mercers Arms which no doubt is a block of flats or something now.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 01:44 - Apr 28 with 1615 viewsSufferingCovFan

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 00:22 - Apr 28 by gainsboroughblue

Not sure why they would think that. Wasn't there 30k in there against Leeds?

Fond memories of Coventry away days. Highfield Road was a good old skool ground which generated a great atmosphere. Brilliant boozer near the ground too, the Mercers Arms which no doubt is a block of flats or something now.

There was a comment on here after our game on Wednesday against Hull commenting on our empty ground.

As the pic shows, the camera only focuses on one stand which has "conditional" seating. Like most grounds, you can't force a season ticket holder to attend every game. We can't force people to join members clubs to give access to these seats. And our love-in with the media is on the down swell.

So people compare the Wembley attendance with that and come out with completely inaccurate thoughts.

Whole area is housing now.
Here's a recent video about the new Highfield Road. Prepare to be gobsmacked.

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 02:07 - Apr 28 with 1592 viewsVegtablue

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 01:44 - Apr 28 by SufferingCovFan

There was a comment on here after our game on Wednesday against Hull commenting on our empty ground.

As the pic shows, the camera only focuses on one stand which has "conditional" seating. Like most grounds, you can't force a season ticket holder to attend every game. We can't force people to join members clubs to give access to these seats. And our love-in with the media is on the down swell.

So people compare the Wembley attendance with that and come out with completely inaccurate thoughts.

It's purely disappointment that so many have missed out on going Cov, given you used to offer 4K+ to away fans and there will be a few thousand empty seats on Tuesday. Understandable why you changed things around though and you're a good club with good gates.

There's been talk of players running on empty and even drafting in the youth to see the season out, but a quick check of the lineup Vs Blackburn shows many of the big hitters still present. Do you anticipate a weakened lineup against us? Sheaf is the only one obviously missing from an outsider's perspective, Sakamoto injury aside.
As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 08:16 - Apr 28 with 1317 viewsbazza

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 23:57 - Apr 27 by SufferingCovFan

No reason for us to.

I only meant as it’s a Tuesday game and nothing to play for, if any other team could have gone up this season, it would have been Coventry all Day long for me, And I hope you do it next season, play the kids in the cups.
As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 08:27 - Apr 28 with 1276 viewsSufferingCovFan

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 02:07 - Apr 28 by Vegtablue

It's purely disappointment that so many have missed out on going Cov, given you used to offer 4K+ to away fans and there will be a few thousand empty seats on Tuesday. Understandable why you changed things around though and you're a good club with good gates.

There's been talk of players running on empty and even drafting in the youth to see the season out, but a quick check of the lineup Vs Blackburn shows many of the big hitters still present. Do you anticipate a weakened lineup against us? Sheaf is the only one obviously missing from an outsider's perspective, Sakamoto injury aside.

Okay, time to fess up. We're holding back all our stars just so we can stand in Ipswich's way on Tuesday

Sorry, just some humour to break this repetition.

Your hope for us to roll over and fear that we're hiding something is really not doing your own team any justice. You are where you are on merit, not by worrying whether Team A, B or Z rests half their squad.

So I really don't know what to say to you. I have said time and again, we are a small squad, hampered by injuries (and now a red card suspension) and a tiring schedule yet I'm still not believed.

We will play to our best with whoever we can field, regardless of opposition.

But we were held to 50/50 possession yesterday by a struggling Blackburn.

They had 30 shots at us, we responded with 6. We had 2 keepers on the bench, one was our U-21 keeper to ensure the bench was fully loaded. Kid subbed on was a 17 yr old who was only promoted to the first team this past week.

So..

Are they 100% ? Definitely not.

Are they 60% ? Probably. You will still get a performance out of them but not for the full game or to their full ability.

Our first choice keeper made some serious errors on Wednesday against Hull yet pulled off some good saves yesterday. Our strikers were slow and ponderous after having some fight 3 days earlier.

Interesting point I've just spotted. Robins will normally make tactical subs around 60 mins. That's his time. Subs yesterday were much, much later. Whether he didn't trust the health or ability of the player coming on or he'll trying to get as much out of every one as he can.

Kelly is our vet, well over 30, rarely used. Godden, also a vet, was our go-to striker before Simms/Wright took off and has had few game minutes since. Allen has just come back from a broken cheekbone surgery and that was his first minutes since January.

I promise that I am not posting here as a joke or that I'm trying to set any one up for a fall.

Last thing about seats. Please see my diagram and explanation at the top of this thread. Where do you think there will be "a few thousand empty seats" ? Judging that you were looking at the pics from Wednesday's game, you were looking at a stand that does not have standard tickets in it. They are all pre-bought so can't just be sold ad-hoc.

Attendance against Hull was 25K. Hull were offered the full amount of 2500. They did not sell out. CBS holds 32K minus a couple of segregation zones, probably equated to 1500 or 2000 seats. This is in the stand that used to be fully away fans so there are no hard barriers erected between fans. So even if Hull had sold out, this would only leave individual seats around the home areas of the bowl which couldn't be sold to away fans anyway. Not the complete blocks that you and your fans would be hoping for.
Attendances against Leeds and Cardiff were closer to the max at 31K and 29K.

So apologies that some of your fans will miss out. It will be disappointing and the club have not done it to slight any fanbase or club. And it's caught a few clubs out. We had similar (and more aggressively entitled comments) from Leeds. But Coventry have finally decided to break the mould and look after their own at the expense of others.

Enjoy the game, however you get to see it. You will likely win. But relax if its a draw. Leeds would still have to beat Southampton whereas you have Huddersfield, already relegated Huddersfield, at home.
As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 09:50 - Apr 28 with 1096 viewsJackSted

Praying this is the case. If we lose v Coventry, I have a horrible feeling Southampton would rather have us in the playoffs rather than Leeds, so they'll roll over for them on Sat

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 10:08 - Apr 28 with 1031 viewsBluespeed225

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 01:44 - Apr 28 by SufferingCovFan

No trace left, very sad. I’d like to think those concrete all goalposts were along the lines of the original pitch? Not been to football at the Ricoh, but did go and see The Specials at the indoor part back in 09’. Had to see them in Cov! Like many post industrial towns much has gone. I worked on the then new, Alvis retail park back in the early 90’s, used to drink in The Fob Watch pub in the evenings.
Login to get fewer ads

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 14:49 - Apr 28 with 833 viewsVegtablue

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 08:27 - Apr 28 by SufferingCovFan

Okay, time to fess up. We're holding back all our stars just so we can stand in Ipswich's way on Tuesday

Sorry, just some humour to break this repetition.

Your hope for us to roll over and fear that we're hiding something is really not doing your own team any justice. You are where you are on merit, not by worrying whether Team A, B or Z rests half their squad.

So I really don't know what to say to you. I have said time and again, we are a small squad, hampered by injuries (and now a red card suspension) and a tiring schedule yet I'm still not believed.

We will play to our best with whoever we can field, regardless of opposition.

But we were held to 50/50 possession yesterday by a struggling Blackburn.

They had 30 shots at us, we responded with 6. We had 2 keepers on the bench, one was our U-21 keeper to ensure the bench was fully loaded. Kid subbed on was a 17 yr old who was only promoted to the first team this past week.

So..

Are they 100% ? Definitely not.

Are they 60% ? Probably. You will still get a performance out of them but not for the full game or to their full ability.

Our first choice keeper made some serious errors on Wednesday against Hull yet pulled off some good saves yesterday. Our strikers were slow and ponderous after having some fight 3 days earlier.

Interesting point I've just spotted. Robins will normally make tactical subs around 60 mins. That's his time. Subs yesterday were much, much later. Whether he didn't trust the health or ability of the player coming on or he'll trying to get as much out of every one as he can.

Kelly is our vet, well over 30, rarely used. Godden, also a vet, was our go-to striker before Simms/Wright took off and has had few game minutes since. Allen has just come back from a broken cheekbone surgery and that was his first minutes since January.

I promise that I am not posting here as a joke or that I'm trying to set any one up for a fall.

Last thing about seats. Please see my diagram and explanation at the top of this thread. Where do you think there will be "a few thousand empty seats" ? Judging that you were looking at the pics from Wednesday's game, you were looking at a stand that does not have standard tickets in it. They are all pre-bought so can't just be sold ad-hoc.

Attendance against Hull was 25K. Hull were offered the full amount of 2500. They did not sell out. CBS holds 32K minus a couple of segregation zones, probably equated to 1500 or 2000 seats. This is in the stand that used to be fully away fans so there are no hard barriers erected between fans. So even if Hull had sold out, this would only leave individual seats around the home areas of the bowl which couldn't be sold to away fans anyway. Not the complete blocks that you and your fans would be hoping for.
Attendances against Leeds and Cardiff were closer to the max at 31K and 29K.

So apologies that some of your fans will miss out. It will be disappointing and the club have not done it to slight any fanbase or club. And it's caught a few clubs out. We had similar (and more aggressively entitled comments) from Leeds. But Coventry have finally decided to break the mould and look after their own at the expense of others.

Enjoy the game, however you get to see it. You will likely win. But relax if its a draw. Leeds would still have to beat Southampton whereas you have Huddersfield, already relegated Huddersfield, at home.

Lol pretty bizarre in places but thanks for your detailed reply. I haven't read many of your messages, clearly, as you've evidently said your piece many times over. A less informed neutral casting their eye on your team would simply have noted that most of the stars were present on Saturday, which suggests you will prove sterner opposition than I've read elsewhere. Nowhere have I called into question our own boys or their capabilities? Nor have I intimated fear re what Coventry are hiding? I hoped for your understanding on the situation is all, which you've provided so cheers.

Lastly, on my attendance comments, I was clear that the decision is perfectly understandable. You're doing what's best for Coventry in the shorter and longer term. And I'm pretty confident with my assertion that there will be a few thousand empty seats in the home end, given there's nothing riding on this from your perspective.

30,232 watched the Leeds game. Leeds are a feisty sort and so segregation won't have been reduced here. I understand the home end came very close to selling out. Let's state it did and accept the above number as the true capacity of the stadium, once segregation is factored in. There were 737 Hull fans counted in the 25,023 attendance on Wednesday night. You offered them an allocation of 2,000, but I'll use the more generous full away allocation of 2,539 for the sums. 30,232 - 2,539 = 27,693 home seats available in the stadium for any given game. 25,023 - 737 = 24,286 home seats sold for your more meaningful game against Hull. A minimum of 3,407 home seats went unsold last Wednesday. No criticism at all here, you get good crowds, but it's why I'm confident there will be a few K empty for ours as well.
As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 15:16 - Apr 28 with 763 viewsSufferingCovFan

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 14:49 - Apr 28 by Vegtablue

Lol pretty bizarre in places but thanks for your detailed reply. I haven't read many of your messages, clearly, as you've evidently said your piece many times over. A less informed neutral casting their eye on your team would simply have noted that most of the stars were present on Saturday, which suggests you will prove sterner opposition than I've read elsewhere. Nowhere have I called into question our own boys or their capabilities? Nor have I intimated fear re what Coventry are hiding? I hoped for your understanding on the situation is all, which you've provided so cheers.

Lastly, on my attendance comments, I was clear that the decision is perfectly understandable. You're doing what's best for Coventry in the shorter and longer term. And I'm pretty confident with my assertion that there will be a few thousand empty seats in the home end, given there's nothing riding on this from your perspective.

30,232 watched the Leeds game. Leeds are a feisty sort and so segregation won't have been reduced here. I understand the home end came very close to selling out. Let's state it did and accept the above number as the true capacity of the stadium, once segregation is factored in. There were 737 Hull fans counted in the 25,023 attendance on Wednesday night. You offered them an allocation of 2,000, but I'll use the more generous full away allocation of 2,539 for the sums. 30,232 - 2,539 = 27,693 home seats available in the stadium for any given game. 25,023 - 737 = 24,286 home seats sold for your more meaningful game against Hull. A minimum of 3,407 home seats went unsold last Wednesday. No criticism at all here, you get good crowds, but it's why I'm confident there will be a few K empty for ours as well.

Firstly, I will apologise if any of that post came across as antagonistic. There was none intended. In my own defence, currently suffering with Covid (again) and have had 2 hrs sleep in the last 28.

A lot of that comment was not directed to you personally. It's a build-up based on the comments I've responded to and seen on this forum over the last 72 hrs. While I accept your take as per a neutral's view, being told repeatedly by a fan of the team you're seeking information about and still being uncertain is straining from my perspective as I don't know who has read what. Again, sorry for any misunderstanding.

And thank you.

I love to debate and discuss with someone who likes to bring figures and facts to the table. Far better than the faecal infused tripe we normally get showered with by other fanbases. And in agreement, I would say that after our struggles against Blackburn yesterday killing any faint Playoff hopes, you will see a far greater and more visible falloff than that which you have laid out. It's also on Sky so far more options to watch in comfort.

Already sounding like zero interest among season ticket holders among the members of the Coventry forum. But while those seats will look empty, we believe the club still counts the seat as being sold for the match. Which confuses the hell out of home and away fans each time.

And QPR will be a dead rubber, other that to applaud the team at the end of the season.

Finally, how do I cancel this registration ? I think today will be my last day to post as I don't want to overstay my welcome (my posts have been excessively verbose) and our paths won't cross again for a while.

It's been wonderful chatting to everyone. Hope you do get to the English Promised Land and can thrive up there.
As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 15:22 - Apr 28 with 727 viewsgainsboroughblue

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 15:16 - Apr 28 by SufferingCovFan

Firstly, I will apologise if any of that post came across as antagonistic. There was none intended. In my own defence, currently suffering with Covid (again) and have had 2 hrs sleep in the last 28.

A lot of that comment was not directed to you personally. It's a build-up based on the comments I've responded to and seen on this forum over the last 72 hrs. While I accept your take as per a neutral's view, being told repeatedly by a fan of the team you're seeking information about and still being uncertain is straining from my perspective as I don't know who has read what. Again, sorry for any misunderstanding.

And thank you.

I love to debate and discuss with someone who likes to bring figures and facts to the table. Far better than the faecal infused tripe we normally get showered with by other fanbases. And in agreement, I would say that after our struggles against Blackburn yesterday killing any faint Playoff hopes, you will see a far greater and more visible falloff than that which you have laid out. It's also on Sky so far more options to watch in comfort.

Already sounding like zero interest among season ticket holders among the members of the Coventry forum. But while those seats will look empty, we believe the club still counts the seat as being sold for the match. Which confuses the hell out of home and away fans each time.

And QPR will be a dead rubber, other that to applaud the team at the end of the season.

Finally, how do I cancel this registration ? I think today will be my last day to post as I don't want to overstay my welcome (my posts have been excessively verbose) and our paths won't cross again for a while.

It's been wonderful chatting to everyone. Hope you do get to the English Promised Land and can thrive up there.

Speaking for myself, your posts and insights have been very welcome. We've had some idiots from other clubs attach themselves to this board in the past who only served to antagonise. You haven't been one of them.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 15:43 - Apr 28 with 672 viewsVegtablue

As Coventry have QPR at home next Saturday.. on 15:16 - Apr 28 by SufferingCovFan

And thank you.

Oh no need for one of those cheers, reckon my post was more abrasive than yours if we're measuring. 😅 I was a little aghast that I'd given the impression I didn't believe in my team, or that I doubted your authenticity, which is why I rowed back on those points.

You could drop GavTWTD a request (click on his username, near the bottom of the home page where the site lists who's online, and then there's a message button somewhere) but I do agree with gainsborough. We're a welcoming bunch mostly and your contributions have been better than most lol. If you fear TWTD may take over your life then that's another matter aha, but we have plenty of neutral fans who drift in and out of the site. Hope you feel better soon!
[Post edited 28 Apr 15:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024