Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... 10:08 - Apr 28 with 4446 viewsITFCBlues

He will be a huge loss if he doesn't play these final 2 games.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 17:10 - Apr 28 with 849 viewsBLUEBEAT

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 15:02 - Apr 28 by blueislander

What do you mean by “the handling of the Williams situation” ? What do think the club did wrong, and how could they have done better?

He’s said what could/should have been done (depending on contract details) in his post.

And that’s sending him back/cancelling contract in January so we could have brought in a defensive player who would actually be able to play for us.

The club have done exceedingly well this season but the BW situation and the N*rwich away ticket allocation were avoidable mistakes. I hope the former doesn’t damage us in the final furlong of this season.

Poll: W or W

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 19:27 - Apr 28 with 692 viewsGlasgowBlue

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 15:18 - Apr 28 by blueislander

People suggesting strange alternatives for the left back berth. Do they really think that the manager is going to do something that would radically change the way we play in this most important match of the season.?

Didn’t Burgess play at left back when we beat Wycombe 4-0 away when Coulson went off injured in the first ten minutes?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 20:01 - Apr 28 with 644 viewsPique

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 15:18 - Apr 28 by blueislander

People suggesting strange alternatives for the left back berth. Do they really think that the manager is going to do something that would radically change the way we play in this most important match of the season.?

Not sure it's a particularly strange suggestion. Burgess is a left sided defender who's played there before for us and done well (albeit not under McKenna).
Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 20:04 - Apr 28 with 619 viewsNthQldITFC

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 19:27 - Apr 28 by GlasgowBlue

Didn’t Burgess play at left back when we beat Wycombe 4-0 away when Coulson went off injured in the first ten minutes?

But we weren't playing with a left back who's more of a winger than even a wing back then, were we? I presume we were more of a flat back four type set up then? I can't really remember, but can you imagine Burgess doing anything like what Davis does? Almost the opposite of what we need unless we totally change the system. Brilliant in his correct position, of course.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 20:49 - Apr 28 with 536 viewsBlueBlood90

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 20:04 - Apr 28 by NthQldITFC

But we weren't playing with a left back who's more of a winger than even a wing back then, were we? I presume we were more of a flat back four type set up then? I can't really remember, but can you imagine Burgess doing anything like what Davis does? Almost the opposite of what we need unless we totally change the system. Brilliant in his correct position, of course.

Can you imagine Harry Clarke doing anything like what Leif does though? Just hope Leif's injury is one of those that looked worse than it was and he'll be fine. Cam Humphreys is probably the most like for like replacement but his lack of game time and experience would make that a huge risk.
[Post edited 28 Apr 20:50]

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:00 - Apr 28 with 505 viewspointofblue

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 20:49 - Apr 28 by BlueBlood90

Can you imagine Harry Clarke doing anything like what Leif does though? Just hope Leif's injury is one of those that looked worse than it was and he'll be fine. Cam Humphreys is probably the most like for like replacement but his lack of game time and experience would make that a huge risk.

He's more likely to than Burgess.

As you say, the only other option we really have is Humphreys, who has barely, if at all, played left back in senior football. So I think it will be Clarke and we'll have to adapt.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:02 - Apr 28 with 498 viewsBlueBlood90

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:00 - Apr 28 by pointofblue

He's more likely to than Burgess.

As you say, the only other option we really have is Humphreys, who has barely, if at all, played left back in senior football. So I think it will be Clarke and we'll have to adapt.

Cam played there for us several times over the New Year period. He hasn't kicked a ball since but neither had George Hirst until last night so who knows! It will surely be Harry Clarke. Did nothing wrong when he came on there last night.

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:06 - Apr 28 with 480 viewsGlasgowBlue

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 20:04 - Apr 28 by NthQldITFC

I wasn't suggesting that we should start Burgess on the let, I was sayin g it's not as silly as the other poster was making out.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:07 - Apr 28 with 476 viewsNthQldITFC

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 20:49 - Apr 28 by BlueBlood90

No, not exactly, but on the left he can potentially drive forward and come inside to free someone like Broadhead on the outside. Broady normally tucks in to give Leif space outside, with Clarke they could do the opposite. Either way Clarke has the pace and athleticism to threaten defenders.

Play Burgess etc at full back and he's a flat back four type option there at best. Humphreys is a possible too, but without the dynamism - however I've got a sneaky one that Leif will be OK.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:23 - Apr 28 with 450 viewsITFCBlues

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:07 - Apr 28 by NthQldITFC

No, not exactly, but on the left he can potentially drive forward and come inside to free someone like Broadhead on the outside. Broady normally tucks in to give Leif space outside, with Clarke they could do the opposite. Either way Clarke has the pace and athleticism to threaten defenders.

Play Burgess etc at full back and he's a flat back four type option there at best. Humphreys is a possible too, but without the dynamism - however I've got a sneaky one that Leif will be OK.

I hope you're right regarding Leif, but the fact he could hardly walk on it doesn't sound positive does it?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:23 - Apr 28 with 450 views_clive_baker_

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 15:09 - Apr 28 by BlueBlood90

Just thinking out loud here and it's probably a load of waffle but can Burgess play left back? He obviously wouldn't be marauding down the wing and getting assists like Leif but he's naturally left footed, comfortable on the ball, has a decent turn of pace when players run at him and he's defensively excellent when in 1v1 situations.

Edmundson is more than capable of coming in and doing the physical side of what Burgess can do at centre back. It would also boost our height and physicality on set pieces if we had both in the side.
[Post edited 28 Apr 15:12]

Not sure why you would opt into 2 changes when it could be 1. Feels like robbing Peter to pay Paul when you consider how well Burgess has been. Better off playing Edmundson left back if you’re going to stick a square peg in a round hole.

Obvious solution is Clarke at LB and Tuanzebe on the right again. Clarke has played there a number of times before (admittedly hasn’t looked particularly natural there) but given where we’re at in the season it’s the least worst option for Tuesday if Davis doesn’t make it, then hope we can flog Leif one last time on Saturday before a summer off (hopefully, contingent on getting top 2 of course). Humphreys perhaps stepping up to the bench, maybe Ball too. Travis can also cover the right.
Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 23:09 - Apr 28 with 346 viewspointofblue

Davis injury really doesn't sound great does it... on 21:23 - Apr 28 by _clive_baker_

Not sure why you would opt into 2 changes when it could be 1. Feels like robbing Peter to pay Paul when you consider how well Burgess has been. Better off playing Edmundson left back if you’re going to stick a square peg in a round hole.

Obvious solution is Clarke at LB and Tuanzebe on the right again. Clarke has played there a number of times before (admittedly hasn’t looked particularly natural there) but given where we’re at in the season it’s the least worst option for Tuesday if Davis doesn’t make it, then hope we can flog Leif one last time on Saturday before a summer off (hopefully, contingent on getting top 2 of course). Humphreys perhaps stepping up to the bench, maybe Ball too. Travis can also cover the right.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, Burgess has played left back before, so it wouldn't quite be square peg in round hole in his case - not when compared to Edmundson.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024