Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? 12:08 - Apr 28 with 4696 viewsSneakysquid

What’s everyone’s thoughts of players stepping up to the next level? it’s a big step!
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 16:30 - Apr 28 with 1071 viewswrightsrightglove

Massive step, but I’d hate to see this team dismantled. The players who have got us here deserve the chance to say they’re premier league players, even if a fair chunk of them might be squad players. I would hope we’d continue the model we’ve adopted in looking for the very best young talent who can be improved by McKenna. 6/7 quality young players, a mixture of loans and permanents on not too crazy wages so if we do go down we can keep the squad and bounce back up. Sarmiento on a permanent, Hutchinson back on loan then we need 5 more high quality youngsters to move the squad forward.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 17:03 - Apr 28 with 1019 viewsBLUEBEAT

Absolutely not.

3, maybe 4, would be able to cut it week in, week out.

Poll: W or W

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 17:21 - Apr 28 with 1000 viewsGavTWTD

No, but I'd really like the core of our squad, ie. what we consider is our first 11 do be given a chance. We are more than the sum of our parts but as we need 2 for every position, a few upgrades here and there would be great.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 18:12 - Apr 28 with 948 viewsBlueNomad

The current squad was put together to compete in the Championship and no doubt some players will do well if we go up. The shame is that we have grown to love this team and that success will see it break up. We have been on a journey with them and I ask will we feel the same love?

In the meantime let’s enjoy what we have, we may not make it this season and there will be a different conversation.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:01 - Apr 28 with 902 viewsMK1

Not at the moment, but we will have. Think we will survive and build from there.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:11 - Apr 28 with 884 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Look back to the year 2000... That promotion winning side finished 5th in the Premier League, barely any changes from the side that went up - who would have thought they could compete at that level?

This current crop deserve the opportunity at least, what is their motivation if they believe that promotion would see them cast aside?
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:20 - Apr 28 with 868 viewsblueasfook

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:11 - Apr 28 by Blue_In_Boston

Look back to the year 2000... That promotion winning side finished 5th in the Premier League, barely any changes from the side that went up - who would have thought they could compete at that level?

This current crop deserve the opportunity at least, what is their motivation if they believe that promotion would see them cast aside?

Yes but that team had been built over a few seasons and with the premiership in mind (Sheepy's five year plan remember?).

Our current team was mostly assembled in league one. But I agree the current crop deserve a shot. Maybe 3 or 4 quality additions. Particularly at the back. Even in the championship, the defence has been our Achilles heel, let's be honest. I don't think Hladky would cut it in the premiership, sorry.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:30 - Apr 28 with 840 viewsportmanking

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:20 - Apr 28 by blueasfook

Yes but that team had been built over a few seasons and with the premiership in mind (Sheepy's five year plan remember?).

Our current team was mostly assembled in league one. But I agree the current crop deserve a shot. Maybe 3 or 4 quality additions. Particularly at the back. Even in the championship, the defence has been our Achilles heel, let's be honest. I don't think Hladky would cut it in the premiership, sorry.

I do think people need to be realistic and not starry-eyed about the gap between this league and even the lower reaches of the Prem.

My gut is that Davis and possibly Hirst are the only ones who could play week in week out. Broadhead has the technicals but maybe not the physicals and even Morsy would look incredibly one-paced. I know he's naturally going to be the last person we replace.

You look at Luton and even they signed 12-13 players last summer. We'd need 12-14 as a bare minimum to stand a chance of staying up. Seriously.
Login to get fewer ads

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:58 - Apr 28 with 794 viewsMK1

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:30 - Apr 28 by portmanking

I do think people need to be realistic and not starry-eyed about the gap between this league and even the lower reaches of the Prem.

My gut is that Davis and possibly Hirst are the only ones who could play week in week out. Broadhead has the technicals but maybe not the physicals and even Morsy would look incredibly one-paced. I know he's naturally going to be the last person we replace.

You look at Luton and even they signed 12-13 players last summer. We'd need 12-14 as a bare minimum to stand a chance of staying up. Seriously.

I think 5-7 would be enough. These guys have done the miles and deserve the chance. Add 2 quality at the back, 3 in the middle and 1 up top. We are not going to spend stupid money up there, so a few will have to be moved on. Hopefully Hutch and Sammy can be loaned back and I would like us to buy Travis.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 20:00 - Apr 28 with 789 viewsportmanking

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 19:58 - Apr 28 by MK1

I think 5-7 would be enough. These guys have done the miles and deserve the chance. Add 2 quality at the back, 3 in the middle and 1 up top. We are not going to spend stupid money up there, so a few will have to be moved on. Hopefully Hutch and Sammy can be loaned back and I would like us to buy Travis.

Anyone that thinks we'd need less than a dozen new faces needs their head wobbling.

We're going to see 5-6 depart this summer, promotion or no promotion. They'd need replacing as a matter of course and then upgrades to our existing XI.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 20:17 - Apr 28 with 767 viewsMK1

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 20:00 - Apr 28 by portmanking

Anyone that thinks we'd need less than a dozen new faces needs their head wobbling.

We're going to see 5-6 depart this summer, promotion or no promotion. They'd need replacing as a matter of course and then upgrades to our existing XI.

Massive change doesn't work very often. 2 quality defenders with Axel moving across to cover CB. Luango, Morsy and Taylor must stay. I would add Travis and 2 others. Burns and Broadhead have top international experience and deserve the chance. Chaplin have earnt the right to stay, as as Harness. Yes, 4 or 5 will need to be moved on, but we will need quality over quantity. The type of players we need are not going to come cheap and the owners may not want to splash the cash with gay abandonment.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 23:07 - Apr 28 with 698 viewspointofblue

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 20:17 - Apr 28 by MK1

Massive change doesn't work very often. 2 quality defenders with Axel moving across to cover CB. Luango, Morsy and Taylor must stay. I would add Travis and 2 others. Burns and Broadhead have top international experience and deserve the chance. Chaplin have earnt the right to stay, as as Harness. Yes, 4 or 5 will need to be moved on, but we will need quality over quantity. The type of players we need are not going to come cheap and the owners may not want to splash the cash with gay abandonment.

If we really want to give survival a go...

GK: Slicker, +2
RB: Clarke, +1
LB: Davis, +1
CB: Burgess, Tuanzebe, Woolfenden, +1
CM: Morsy, Taylor, +2
RW: Burns, Hutchinson (please, please, please)
LW: Broadhead, +1
AM: Chaplin, +1
ST: Hirst, +1

That'd be Hladky, Walton, Donacien, Edmundson, Luongo, Camara, Harness, Jackson, Aluko, Ahadme and Ladapo sold on, with Travis, Sarmiento and Moore sent back.

I'm not as high on Luongo as some. I think he's struggled of late, and is playing at his peak now. Championship is his level. It's the same for Moore.

Al-Hamidi may hang around as a back up, but a loan out might be the best option for him. Same with Baggott, Humphreys and El Mizouni.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 04:38 - Apr 29 with 635 viewsXatticus

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 20:00 - Apr 28 by portmanking

This is the wrong way to look at it. We will retain the spine of the team and recruit the best players we can to replace those on the periphery, just as we have done in previous windows under McKenna.

Walton, Donacien, Lee, Harness, and Ladapo all contributed to getting us out of League One, but saw their roles significantly reduced this year. The same process will play out next year regardless of which division we are in.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 07:34 - Apr 29 with 589 viewsSneakysquid

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 04:38 - Apr 29 by Xatticus

This is the wrong way to look at it. We will retain the spine of the team and recruit the best players we can to replace those on the periphery, just as we have done in previous windows under McKenna.

Walton, Donacien, Lee, Harness, and Ladapo all contributed to getting us out of League One, but saw their roles significantly reduced this year. The same process will play out next year regardless of which division we are in.

Too be fair we have to get there first but is refreshing to see so many being logical about the possible promotion. As it’s gonna be a roller coaster ride to try and stay in the prem. As for Davis yes of course he is one of the best in the championship but without the right coach in the prem to work on his defence he could come undone. But all in all positive vibes let’s get the job done first.
Up the blues!
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 07:43 - Apr 29 with 579 viewsEuropablue

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 18:12 - Apr 28 by BlueNomad

The current squad was put together to compete in the Championship and no doubt some players will do well if we go up. The shame is that we have grown to love this team and that success will see it break up. We have been on a journey with them and I ask will we feel the same love?

In the meantime let’s enjoy what we have, we may not make it this season and there will be a different conversation.

We have a competent Championship squad. Clearly a few of them are not up to competing at the top of the table week in week out. We'd have to bring in quite a few players, but I think it's best to do that over two windows to give players a chance to bed in. It just wouldn't work to bring in 20 players. A fair amount of them could be squad players in the Prem and a few could be starters.
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 10:46 - Apr 29 with 508 viewsElephantintheRoom

Thé question is surely whether the franchise have a strong enough squad to get promoted?

The results haven’t been good enough over the last four games - seeing Leicester coast home and a misfiring Leeds still ahead on goal difference.

I’d ask that question in a week’s time - current form suggests they’re going to blow it.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 11:10 - Apr 29 with 489 viewspointofblue

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 10:46 - Apr 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Thé question is surely whether the franchise have a strong enough squad to get promoted?

The results haven’t been good enough over the last four games - seeing Leicester coast home and a misfiring Leeds still ahead on goal difference.

I’d ask that question in a week’s time - current form suggests they’re going to blow it.

Surely this squad was not expected to be competing to the level it has been over this season?

Though I appreciate how devastated you must be about that.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Not really, but it doesn't need a complete overhaul on 11:18 - Apr 29 with 475 viewsDyland

We lack pace in the centre of midfield and I think both Morsy and Mass would struggle not to pick up a lot of cards. Taylor may be the man to come in with one of them, if he continues improving. Two or three quality additions and I think we could compete, but it would be a struggle at times.

As others have said, if we are promoted you'd really want as many of the players as possible to get a look in. They fackin deserve it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

That's the spirit Nerders (n/t) on 11:19 - Apr 29 with 471 viewsDyland

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 10:46 - Apr 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 11:25 - Apr 29 with 460 viewsGavTWTD

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 23:07 - Apr 28 by pointofblue

If we really want to give survival a go...

GK: Slicker, +2
RB: Clarke, +1
LB: Davis, +1
CB: Burgess, Tuanzebe, Woolfenden, +1
CM: Morsy, Taylor, +2
RW: Burns, Hutchinson (please, please, please)
LW: Broadhead, +1
AM: Chaplin, +1
ST: Hirst, +1

That'd be Hladky, Walton, Donacien, Edmundson, Luongo, Camara, Harness, Jackson, Aluko, Ahadme and Ladapo sold on, with Travis, Sarmiento and Moore sent back.

I'm not as high on Luongo as some. I think he's struggled of late, and is playing at his peak now. Championship is his level. It's the same for Moore.

Al-Hamidi may hang around as a back up, but a loan out might be the best option for him. Same with Baggott, Humphreys and El Mizouni.

That's quite a number, but I don't think you're far off. I think one keeper not 2. I don't have the confidence of Slicker yet as I've not seen him.

We struggled without Burns so we need someone there, even though Hutchinson scored a brilliant brace coming from the right, I'm still not convinced he's the guy for that position. I'd have him as a 10 and his contract is up June 2025. It might happen.

I'd like Downes if he's surplus at WH as he seems to be.

Sarmiento is due to stay with us if we get promoted, that's one to be discussed but provisionally agreed. ATM he seems to be better as a finisher rather than starter but that can be trained.

Moore has been good for us, but I think he slows momentum when coming on as he's not the athlete that Hirst is, so we need someone up top.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 11:26 - Apr 29 with 457 viewsKieran_Knows

Pay Chelsea what they want for Omari and he'll keep us up by himself.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 11:32 - Apr 29 with 447 viewsChrisd

Nope. Defensively, we’ll get severely exposed. I suppose it all depends on what our approach is if we get promoted. A few shrewd signings and make do or a squad overhaul which will cost millions. Let’s get promoted first and then worry about that.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 12:06 - Apr 29 with 417 viewsFBI

And if that happens you'll probably pleasure yourself to death.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 12:25 - Apr 29 with 391 viewsBlueNomad

Why do you bother? Your contributions have no credibility or validity.

You celebrate only having 14 defeats.
[Post edited 29 Apr 12:27]
Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 12:37 - Apr 29 with 365 viewsElephantintheRoom

Premiership? Do we have a strong enough squad? on 12:25 - Apr 29 by BlueNomad

Why do you bother? Your contributions have no credibility or validity.

You celebrate only having 14 defeats.
[Post edited 29 Apr 12:27]

Do you not see the utter absurdity of the original post? We don’t know yet if the squad is good enough to get out of this mediocre division. It’s exceeded all expectations - yet still glory seekers aren’t satisfied and want the revolving door to twirl.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024