Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premier League spending cap... 15:44 - Apr 29 with 1155 viewsHighgateBlue

News just in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpegd3dy8j7o
Premier League spending cap... on 15:47 - Apr 29 with 1125 viewsEuropablue

It's very difficult to know what this means. It sounds like the clubs with the highest revenues can only spend the same amount as the clubs with the lowest revenues. I would be very surprised if they voted for that!
Premier League spending cap... on 15:53 - Apr 29 with 1070 viewsZx1988

Premier League spending cap... on 15:47 - Apr 29 by Europablue

It's very difficult to know what this means. It sounds like the clubs with the highest revenues can only spend the same amount as the clubs with the lowest revenues. I would be very surprised if they voted for that!

Some comments I was reading earlier suggested that the cap will be five times the revenues/spending ability of the smallest clubs.

On the basis that both Fulham and Nottingham Forest have recently spent the best part of £100m upon promotion, it just seems as if it's a case of moving the deckchairs on the Titanic, rather than any sort of meaningful reform.

Most tellingly, it seems to move away from the current setup which focuses on controlling losses.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Premier League spending cap... on 16:03 - Apr 29 with 1031 viewsEuropablue

Premier League spending cap... on 15:53 - Apr 29 by Zx1988

Some comments I was reading earlier suggested that the cap will be five times the revenues/spending ability of the smallest clubs.

On the basis that both Fulham and Nottingham Forest have recently spent the best part of £100m upon promotion, it just seems as if it's a case of moving the deckchairs on the Titanic, rather than any sort of meaningful reform.

Most tellingly, it seems to move away from the current setup which focuses on controlling losses.

Often it's easier to change the amount once the principle of a spending cap is in place. To me, any spending cap should be no more than the revenue that the club produces. In this case expect tickets and kits and everything else to get more expensive to fund more competitive teams.
Premier League spending cap... on 18:02 - Apr 29 with 888 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

Think I need to wait for Kieran Maguire to explain what this means in layman's terms.
Premier League spending cap... on 18:57 - Apr 29 with 821 viewsMK1

Premier League spending cap... on 18:02 - Apr 29 by LA_Tractor_Boy

Think I need to wait for Kieran Maguire to explain what this means in layman's terms.

I'd prefer Rachael Riley to explain the maths to me.
Premier League spending cap... on 18:57 - Apr 29 with 817 viewsSmithersJones

Premier League spending cap... on 18:02 - Apr 29 by LA_Tractor_Boy

Completely agree. My initial reaction is that if Man City and Chelsea don’t support it then it’s probably a good thing but it needs to be stress-tested.
One of the issues lies in the BBC quote “The Premier League says the current regulations are designed to try to ensure the long term financial sustainability of clubs and maintain the competitive nature of the league by preventing unfair advantages”.
This are two different things and in achieving one you can make the other worse. The Saudi injection of cash into Newcastle does probably improve the financial sustainability of that club, but it certainly doesn’t help the competitive nature of the league.
Premier League spending cap... on 19:21 - Apr 29 with 765 viewsEuropablue

Premier League spending cap... on 18:57 - Apr 29 by SmithersJones

Completely agree. My initial reaction is that if Man City and Chelsea don’t support it then it’s probably a good thing but it needs to be stress-tested.
One of the issues lies in the BBC quote “The Premier League says the current regulations are designed to try to ensure the long term financial sustainability of clubs and maintain the competitive nature of the league by preventing unfair advantages”.
This are two different things and in achieving one you can make the other worse. The Saudi injection of cash into Newcastle does probably improve the financial sustainability of that club, but it certainly doesn’t help the competitive nature of the league.

Investment is not necessarily going to make a club sustainable. If there are debts, then investment to restructure the debts could make the club more sustainable, or the club can improve revenue. Ultimately, there is only one way to be sustainable, and that is to spend within your means. If the spending cap allows teams to be reasonably competitive without overstretching themselves, then it will be better for the competition as a whole.
Premier League spending cap... on 19:27 - Apr 29 with 738 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Premier League spending cap... on 18:57 - Apr 29 by SmithersJones

It probably does help the competitive nature because it is investment into a club that is starting a long way back from the top ones. The knack is to make sure it protects fans from clubs spending beyond their means but also to protect the competitive nature of the league.

Of course, none of that changes the fact there is a moral issue about where Newcastle's money is coming from.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Premier League spending cap... on 19:29 - Apr 29 with 719 viewsTrequartista

Well Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea didn't vote for it.

From first glance, it looks as though they are getting rid of the P&S rules that Everton & Forest fell foul of and are saying anyone can spend half a billion.

Sounds as though that might create an even bigger gap between Premier League and EFL, even if it mixes up the top 6 more often.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Premier League spending cap... on 19:50 - Apr 29 with 664 viewsSmithersJones

Premier League spending cap... on 19:27 - Apr 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

It probably does help the competitive nature because it is investment into a club that is starting a long way back from the top ones. The knack is to make sure it protects fans from clubs spending beyond their means but also to protect the competitive nature of the league.

Of course, none of that changes the fact there is a moral issue about where Newcastle's money is coming from.

It might help Newcastle be more competitive with the mega rich clubs but that’s not the same as keeping the competitive nature of the league as a whole.
Apparently only Chelsea.... on 19:54 - Apr 29 with 628 viewsBloots

...would have overspent under these new proposed rules.

Although to be fair they'd overspend no matter what the rules were.

City and Utd would have been just under the limits.

I suspect that in theory it should allow the "smaller" clubs to spend more money, but whether they actual feel it's worth it remains to be seen.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Premier League spending cap... on 19:54 - Apr 29 with 625 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Premier League spending cap... on 19:50 - Apr 29 by SmithersJones

It might help Newcastle be more competitive with the mega rich clubs but that’s not the same as keeping the competitive nature of the league as a whole.

Why not? If you protect the top six it becomes a division where the likes of Brighton, Villa and Newcastle can't break into it. Leicester, Forest and Everton have shown it is perfectly possible to spend that sort of money and remain competitive at the wrong end of the table too!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Premier League spending cap... on 21:12 - Apr 29 with 505 viewsSmithersJones

Premier League spending cap... on 19:54 - Apr 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

Why not? If you protect the top six it becomes a division where the likes of Brighton, Villa and Newcastle can't break into it. Leicester, Forest and Everton have shown it is perfectly possible to spend that sort of money and remain competitive at the wrong end of the table too!

The gap between the “haves” and the “have nots” hasn’t got any smaller - in fact it’ll get bigger as the other mega rich clubs react. All you’ve done is created one more “have”.
Premier League spending cap... on 21:25 - Apr 29 with 467 viewsSmithersJones

Premier League spending cap... on 21:12 - Apr 29 by SmithersJones

The gap between the “haves” and the “have nots” hasn’t got any smaller - in fact it’ll get bigger as the other mega rich clubs react. All you’ve done is created one more “have”.

TBF I’ve probably picked the wrong example by choosing one club rather than the whole league.
If you look at the current rules, which basically say clubs can’t make more than a certain level of losses, they’re clearly aimed at the “sustainable” side of the argument. But by preventing a club spending much more than their income it makes the league less competitive because it bakes in the status quo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024