Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? 16:05 - May 3 with 1521 viewsNutkins_Return

In my mind back then there was very little concern and fully confident. Basically just relaxed and knowing it would get done as it did - a 6-0 never in doubt.

The reality: I was irrationally concerned we would get done by Exeter and then tricky away final day draw and fail. Completely irrational but probably the case...so how does this compare? Pretty similar but feels even more intense...

Roll on 4pm tomorrow.
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:11 - May 3 with 1471 viewsZx1988

Very similar to how you describe it, but with the added frisson that there are no second chances here.

At least last season we had the solace of knowing that we had two matches in which to get it all wrapped up.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:13 - May 3 with 1456 viewsIllinoisblue

Strangely, was very relaxed last season despite us having to go on an insane run to catch Weds. to compare, this last week has literally given me sleepless nights and constant anxiety.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:15 - May 3 with 1428 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I was a bit more nervous last season. It was all about getting out of that hellhole League One was.
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:15 - May 3 with 1440 viewsDanTheMan

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:13 - May 3 by Illinoisblue

Strangely, was very relaxed last season despite us having to go on an insane run to catch Weds. to compare, this last week has literally given me sleepless nights and constant anxiety.

I'm the same, I always expected us to do it last season given our form and everything.

This is monumentally worse, my stress levels are through the roof.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:21 - May 3 with 1382 views_clive_baker_

The prospect of another season in L1 was horrible, we didn't just want promotion, I felt like we needed it. Way more horrible than another in the Championship would feel right now, which we probably would've taken at the start of the season. But its not the start of the season is it, we've been incredible, and the prize of the premier league is on a different level. Of course its possible that tomorrow goes terribly and we still go up via the playoffs, but nobody wants to think about that.

We also had the buffer of another bite last season on the final day. I guess the ability to draw tomorrow (maybe even lose) represents a certain level of buffer this time around, but its still only 1 game.

In conclusion : I don't know.
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:35 - May 3 with 1285 viewsSarge

I was nervous before the Hull game, but not since.

Last season I was a nervous wreck in the concourse at Oakwell before the game, and not again afterwards.

We’ve got a hell of a team, I bet they’re not nervous.
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:50 - May 3 with 1201 viewsd77sgw

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:35 - May 3 by Sarge

I was nervous before the Hull game, but not since.

Last season I was a nervous wreck in the concourse at Oakwell before the game, and not again afterwards.

We’ve got a hell of a team, I bet they’re not nervous.

The stakes are so much higher this time, and my nerves are correspondingly fried. Last year it felt a question of 'when' not 'if' we would get out of League 1. The second half the of the season we were just at a different level to the teams we were playing - even when we didnt win. This time it feels like this is much more of a 'one-shot' thing.
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 19:51 - May 3 with 1033 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:50 - May 3 by d77sgw

The stakes are so much higher this time, and my nerves are correspondingly fried. Last year it felt a question of 'when' not 'if' we would get out of League 1. The second half the of the season we were just at a different level to the teams we were playing - even when we didnt win. This time it feels like this is much more of a 'one-shot' thing.

Last year raised our income from £20m to this years £30m.

Going up again will likely raise it to £150m (24-25) + £80m (25-26) and £65m (26-27), TV added to other income.
So, no pressure tomorrow then.
COYB
Login to get fewer ads

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 19:55 - May 3 with 1010 viewsSteve_M

More stressful in terms of the points needed, less critical in terms of what it means for the club. Not going up last season might have seen McK leave and derailed the whole project.

Only needing eight points going into the last four games though was better than needing nine from three games before Leeds - QPR last week. We needed two points from the last two, mathematically it was really hard to fail - this year it's a little bit easier to do so. I'm very glad we held on for the win on Tuesday, gives us a slight insurance rather than needing a win.

Early goal for us and I think we'll be fine, the longer it stays level the nervier it will get.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 19:56 - May 3 with 1008 viewsMK1

Probably worse this time round. Think because of the calibre of the side up there with us this season and where it takes us.
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 20:01 - May 3 with 971 viewsDubtractor

Way more nervous this time round.

I've been as cool as a cucumber all season, keeping calm and positive whenever we hit a bump, or when Leeds and Southampton reeled our lead in, but I'm going to be a fooking mess tomorrow.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 20:01 - May 3 with 967 viewsWellGroomedUngulate

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:13 - May 3 by Illinoisblue

This promotion means so much more imo. Financial security/advantage for the next few years, hanging on to our best players who I truly love watching play. Plus there's all the crap we've had to put up with by being called lucky etc. throughout this incredible run.

But mainly it's that going up would most likely mean hanging on to McKenna for another year at least and I'm not ready yet to see this amazing project be swapped out for something new. Failure wouldn't be a disaster exactly, but it would probably mean the absence of a few elements I've genuinely come to love when next season begins.
[Post edited 3 May 20:05]

"Here for a good time, not a long time"

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:08 - May 3 with 819 viewsNutkins_Return

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:21 - May 3 by _clive_baker_

The prospect of another season in L1 was horrible, we didn't just want promotion, I felt like we needed it. Way more horrible than another in the Championship would feel right now, which we probably would've taken at the start of the season. But its not the start of the season is it, we've been incredible, and the prize of the premier league is on a different level. Of course its possible that tomorrow goes terribly and we still go up via the playoffs, but nobody wants to think about that.

We also had the buffer of another bite last season on the final day. I guess the ability to draw tomorrow (maybe even lose) represents a certain level of buffer this time around, but its still only 1 game.

In conclusion : I don't know.

I love the way you basically went back through the full gamut of emotions writing that. The conclusion of "I don't know" was the icing on the cake.

Superb. I'm with you on all of it. Haha
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:12 - May 3 with 794 viewsVic

About the same. Very excited but not nervous. Didn't have doubts last year and I don't for tomorrow. Unless we have a collective brain Freeze!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:13 - May 3 with 791 viewsNutkins_Return

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:11 - May 3 by Zx1988

Very similar to how you describe it, but with the added frisson that there are no second chances here.

At least last season we had the solace of knowing that we had two matches in which to get it all wrapped up.

You know there is excitement and nervousness in the air when people are throwing words like 'frisson' around like it's nothing.

Nobody's using 'frisson' without a wad load of adrenaline coursing through their veins. No one. You've never used that word in your life before man.
[Post edited 3 May 23:14]
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:20 - May 3 with 736 viewsRyorry

"4pm"?

I'll certainly be bloody worried if the gam'es not over by 3pm, there's no way my shredded nerves would last out for 80+ minutes of injury time!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:33 - May 3 with 695 viewsNutkins_Return

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:20 - May 3 by Ryorry

"4pm"?

I'll certainly be bloody worried if the gam'es not over by 3pm, there's no way my shredded nerves would last out for 80+ minutes of injury time!

You don't think lighting will strike twice on injury time then? That's what we played at Cov from my memory of it. It's the frisson of excitement in the air messing with my brain.
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:39 - May 3 with 678 viewsN2_Blue

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 16:15 - May 3 by DanTheMan

I'm the same, I always expected us to do it last season given our form and everything.

This is monumentally worse, my stress levels are through the roof.

I personally don' think they are comparable. This is way way worse!

Last year we abosutley caked walked the divsion from February onwards! So once it was in our own hands it was a formality really. The Exeter game wasn't going to be anything else but had something happened we had a 2nd chance.

If we'd ended up in the playoffs that season i think we'd have breezed those too.

However this season is a one game scenario. Now whilst everything points to a win any thing can happen in a one off game and Huddersfield could be anything now they are basically down, there is a bit of unknown with sides that have nothing to play for which is my fear.

There is no 2nd chance, it's straight to the play offs which would contain our rivals who unfortuntely we have a shocking recent record against and a team with a premier league squad albeit we've beaten them twice this season.

This is far far nervier! + the prize iis that much bigger!

I hate that basically all the media thinks we've done it. It worries me.

I'm sure we'll do it tomorrow but I hate that it's basically been considered as done.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 00:14 - May 4 with 631 viewsOhiotractorboy

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:39 - May 3 by N2_Blue

Last year we abosutley caked walked the divsion from February onwards! So once it was in our own hands it was a formality really. The Exeter game wasn't going to be anything else but had something happened we had a 2nd chance.

If we'd ended up in the playoffs that season i think we'd have breezed those too.

However this season is a one game scenario. Now whilst everything points to a win any thing can happen in a one off game and Huddersfield could be anything now they are basically down, there is a bit of unknown with sides that have nothing to play for which is my fear.

There is no 2nd chance, it's straight to the play offs which would contain our rivals who unfortuntely we have a shocking recent record against and a team with a premier league squad albeit we've beaten them twice this season.

I'm sure we'll do it tomorrow but I hate that it's basically been considered as done.

Worse this year. Last year, we sort of rolled right on through. I had no doubt. This year, the door to the PL has been wide open for weeks, and we could not stop tripping at the welcome mat. Now, it is all before us laid on a silver platter...with the ultimate prize ready to be served up.
Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 00:25 - May 4 with 608 viewspointofblue

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 23:39 - May 3 by N2_Blue

It’s automatics or bust IMO. If we mess it up later, I don’t think even McKenna’s powers of recovery will drag the players from the resulting despondency to take on the play offs. Especially against a side who have preparing them for a while or - if Hull make it - are just delighted to be there.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Nerves wise how does this compare to last season? on 01:21 - May 4 with 558 viewsSomethingBlue

Last year I was just really excited – this year ... that, but also utterly terrified. It's been a very, very long time.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024