Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congratulations! 23:10 - May 4 with 2014 viewsPDK52

Long suffering Swansea fan here.
Just wanted to congratulate you guys on an amazing achievement. I’m just about old enough to remember your great team of the early 80’s & always regarded Ipswich as a top club off the back of that, but obviously understand what you’ve been through down in league one etc & your time away from the premier league.
Such a fantastic achievement all things considered, & I really hope you can make a good go of it next season, & why not? There’s some real dross at the lower end of the premier league this season other than the bottom three, & I genuinely think you’ve got half a chance there.
Just when you start losing faith in football, along comes a story like yours, & it really does give us all hope (except for my club who are useless).
Enjoy the ride guys & the very, very best of luck for next season, & enjoy watching Norwich getting beat in the playoffs 👍
Congratulations! on 23:13 - May 4 with 1971 viewsSuffolktractor

Don’t know you, but love you already.
Congratulations! on 23:16 - May 4 with 1931 viewsPDK52

Congratulations! on 23:13 - May 4 by Suffolktractor

Don’t know you, but love you already.

Nobody’s ever said that to me without beer goggles on. Cheers!!
Congratulations! on 23:19 - May 4 with 1917 viewsNutkins_Return

We knew a thing or two about being useless and we are only talking a few years back! Just takes a few 'right' people to come in and bring more with them and get that snowball building momentum down the hill. Unbelievable what's happened.
Congratulations! on 23:32 - May 4 with 1825 viewsPDK52

Congratulations! on 23:19 - May 4 by Nutkins_Return

We knew a thing or two about being useless and we are only talking a few years back! Just takes a few 'right' people to come in and bring more with them and get that snowball building momentum down the hill. Unbelievable what's happened.

Exactly. Happened for us in 2011 & remained the case until our absolutely inept owners took over in 2016. Such a great story & as you say, just goes to show what can be achieved with a little common sense & correct planning, together with hard work of course
Congratulations! on 00:16 - May 5 with 1647 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Swansea will be a good side under L Williams next year.

Good luck.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Congratulations! on 17:36 - May 5 with 1218 viewsMarcusStewartIsGod

Congratulations from a Huddersfield Town fan too. Good to see a club that's well run, decent fan culture etc get success.

Class club, class fans & I hope you prove the doubters wrong next season.
Congratulations! on 17:50 - May 5 with 1141 viewsSwansea_Blue

Congratulations! on 23:19 - May 4 by Nutkins_Return

I’m amazed by the parallels between us and Swansea. Ever since I moved over here in 2005, we’ve had parallel journeys at times. Their 2010 success almost mirrored our 2000 one, building over a few years until there became an inevitably we were going up. Playing good football and even the 4-2 PO final scores were the same. Then unexpected success in the top flight (lasted a bit longer in Swansea’s case). Then bad decisions, a takeover by new owners who were clueless. I’m fully expecting Swansea to go down under their current owners who seem incapable of putting a decent CEO in place and have started making poor managerial appointments. Maybe not. Like us I thought they were one bad appointment away from relegation, but maybe they had that this year with Duff and managed to claw it back. Maybe (hopefully) that’s as bad as it gets for them, but I can’t see an improvement until they have a new owner.
[Post edited 5 May 17:54]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Congratulations! on 13:32 - May 7 with 818 viewsPDK52

Congratulations! on 17:50 - May 5 by Swansea_Blue

I’m amazed by the parallels between us and Swansea. Ever since I moved over here in 2005, we’ve had parallel journeys at times. Their 2010 success almost mirrored our 2000 one, building over a few years until there became an inevitably we were going up. Playing good football and even the 4-2 PO final scores were the same. Then unexpected success in the top flight (lasted a bit longer in Swansea’s case). Then bad decisions, a takeover by new owners who were clueless. I’m fully expecting Swansea to go down under their current owners who seem incapable of putting a decent CEO in place and have started making poor managerial appointments. Maybe not. Like us I thought they were one bad appointment away from relegation, but maybe they had that this year with Duff and managed to claw it back. Maybe (hopefully) that’s as bad as it gets for them, but I can’t see an improvement until they have a new owner.
[Post edited 5 May 17:54]

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. We’ve had some good managers too since relegation from the PL, Potter, Cooper & to a lesser extent Russell Martin, but all have left due to broken promises & absolutely zero investment. Had we not had the fantastic youth academy here, we’d have sunk without trace already. With our recently announced losses, it makes you wonder where the parachute payments, player sales (about £100 million since 2017 if you include Gylfi siggurdsonn), have gone, because none of it has been channelled into incoming transfers at all.
That’s why I kind of looked out for Ipswich because, as you say, the parallels between the two clubs are very similar, except for the fact that we had to wait significantly longer to return to the top flight in 2010/11.
I just remember that feeling after winning the play off final, & the excitement of it all, & for me it’s lovely to see your club & fans experiencing those feelings right now, because if we can’t enjoy our moment in the sun, however brief it may be in the grand scheme of things, then there’s no point
Login to get fewer ads

Congratulations! on 13:44 - May 7 with 723 viewstonybied

Congratulations! on 23:16 - May 4 by PDK52

Nobody’s ever said that to me without beer goggles on. Cheers!!

Don't be too flattered, there are quite a few around still wearing their beer googles after the last few days celebrations in Ipswich, so it can't be ruled out that the above poster doesn't have theirs on still!
Congratulations! on 14:20 - May 7 with 602 viewsOldFart71

Thanks for that. Nice to see people who appreciate, as we do, the effort, desire and hard work from top to bottom that has been put into making Town a Premier League club. We know it won't be easy, we know that a few sensible pennies have to be spent. But why should we be that concerned when we know the right people are at the helm of the good ship ITFC. As our CEO said everything from all aspects of the club have to be spot on. One part of the jigsaw that's missing or doesn't fit and it's doesn't work. Fortunately through the owners, management, manager and all the backroom staff things fell into place. We weren't as some would have it said " lucky" yes some things went for, some against, but we got results when needed and only lost six games all season. 96 points and 92 goals with our top scorer nowhere to be seen in the list of top goalscorers. Is it really too much to ask for some others to give us credit. We have had many accolades from top people who know the game and just how hard it is especially back to back promotion. So thanks to those giving us credit and for those not, well we really don't care.
Congratulations! on 14:32 - May 7 with 550 views_clive_baker_

Thank you, it means a lot. I've had so many well wishes from fans of other clubs I know. I think it's probably because we've defied the odds, and we like an underdog don't we. Fought our way through the season, some mad games, last minute goals and front foot football, and in an era where money talks we've outsmarted the significantly deeper pockets of Leeds, Saints and others.

When we lost at home to Leeds in August I looked at our front man of Kayden Jackson, signed from Accrington Stanley (he's done alright to be fair), then looked at their forward 4 of Rutter, Gnonto, Piroe & Sinisterra. £80m+ combined in fees, feck knows how much in wages, and wondered how we even begin to compete in the same division, let alone finish 6 points clear of them after 46 games. It still hasn't sunk in.

I suspect the journey is probably more fun than the destination as we head to the glutton of the premier league, which has changed a lot even in the 22 years since we were there. But for now I'm just going to enjoy it and be grateful for what McKenna and his team have done for the Town and county.

Thanks again, and all the best to the Swans for next season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024