Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest fear for PL 15:59 - May 5 with 891 viewsScuzzer

VAR.
How come even with it they make so many rediculous decisions.
Brighton's penalty just now...how come with VAR is that given while us without it got absolutely nothing for more obvious fouls. Needs levelling up somehow.
Or am I just having a moan.

Established 1968

Biggest fear for PL on 16:01 - May 5 with 861 viewsblueasfook

I'm hoping, given the controversy with it, VAR will be scrapped next season. I doubt it though. Premier league would have huge egg on their faces if so

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Biggest fear for PL on 16:06 - May 5 with 813 viewsjayessess

Referee's made that decision surely? VAR just declined to overturn it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Biggest fear for PL on 16:07 - May 5 with 819 viewshomer_123

VAR but not for the reasons you state.

It just kills football as a spectacle. Removes the essence of what it is. Much as it's not nice to be on the receiving end of a shocking decision - that's part of the joy and love of football.

How can you celebrate a goal knowing VAR is coming - then, then you add the fact it gets so much wrong.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Biggest fear for PL on 16:10 - May 5 with 791 viewsScuzzer

Biggest fear for PL on 16:01 - May 5 by blueasfook

I'm hoping, given the controversy with it, VAR will be scrapped next season. I doubt it though. Premier league would have huge egg on their faces if so

Originally it was for clear and obvious mistakes by he officials but I think it's been forgotten about now. Wouldn't mind it being kept for offside but the referees have had their job undermined by how it is now used.
Some of the worst decisions this season have been made by PL referees doing EFLgames. They just cant operate in a decisive way without it.

Established 1968

Biggest fear for PL on 16:14 - May 5 with 776 viewsScuzzer

Biggest fear for PL on 16:06 - May 5 by jayessess

Referee's made that decision surely? VAR just declined to overturn it.

Yes indeed. But looking at it it was a clear dive after very minimal contact. And it is a contact sport. Should have referred it back to the referee to have a look. So it's the way it is currently used that drives us up the wall.

Established 1968

Biggest fear for PL on 16:17 - May 5 with 759 viewsScuzzer

Biggest fear for PL on 16:07 - May 5 by homer_123

VAR but not for the reasons you state.

It just kills football as a spectacle. Removes the essence of what it is. Much as it's not nice to be on the receiving end of a shocking decision - that's part of the joy and love of football.

How can you celebrate a goal knowing VAR is coming - then, then you add the fact it gets so much wrong.

Yeah agree ...that also.

Established 1968

Biggest fear for PL on 16:59 - May 5 with 659 viewsjayessess

Biggest fear for PL on 16:14 - May 5 by Scuzzer

Yes indeed. But looking at it it was a clear dive after very minimal contact. And it is a contact sport. Should have referred it back to the referee to have a look. So it's the way it is currently used that drives us up the wall.

But in your post above this one you've said:

"Originally it was for clear and obvious mistakes by he officials but I think it's been forgotten about now."

Isn't that Adingra penalty decision what that looks like in practice? The Referee, in a decent position, watches the incident at full speed and decides that the contact Konsa makes was sufficient to impede Adingra. Whether it is sufficient contact is a subjective judgement and the VAR might simultaneously think "well, Adingra makes a meal of the contact and looks to go down easily" but also "the referee's made a judgement on the level of force in the contact and there's no clear evidence that is definitely wrong". So tells the referee to stay with his original decision.

You can either have VAR re-ref games or you have VAR let debateable (but plausibly correct) decisions stand.

(FWIW it'd happily abolish VAR but also don't think it's worth criticising VAR for NOT overturning on-field decisions - without VAR the original decision would have been the only judgement made of the incident!)
[Post edited 5 May 18:39]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Biggest fear for PL on 19:06 - May 5 with 558 viewsHighgateBlue

Biggest fear for PL on 16:10 - May 5 by Scuzzer

Originally it was for clear and obvious mistakes by he officials but I think it's been forgotten about now. Wouldn't mind it being kept for offside but the referees have had their job undermined by how it is now used.
Some of the worst decisions this season have been made by PL referees doing EFLgames. They just cant operate in a decisive way without it.

The rules are clear (if not obvious).

Essentially (and I paraphrase a little), where they're dealing with an objective decision such as whether a player was in an offside position, VAR overrules if the ref got it wrong, and it doesn't have to be a clear and obvious error. That's not something that's changed.

Where they're dealing with a subjective decision (such as whether someone denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity, or whether someone played in a dangerous manner), VAR will only overturn if the ref made a clear and obvious error.

In cricket it is ofter trotted out that allowing a third umpire to overturn decisions was "supposed to be for" the obvious clangers, and similar sentiments are expressed in football. But it's not really supported by what the rules actually say.

None of the above means that I like VAR, mind.
Login to get fewer ads

Biggest fear for PL on 22:08 - May 5 with 431 viewsFacefacts

A justifiable fear. We simply have to be more streetwise and I expect us to bring at least one or hopefully two high quality strikers in the summer who know how to play under VAR.

Would we have been better or worse off with VAR this season?
Ok,
Kayden Jackson's accidental handball should have given a pen away v QPR and there was an earlier challenge which I didnt think was a pen but the QPR player milked it (home game). VAR - two pens.
But,
Kayden was chopped in two by a Stoke ? player (away game) dangerous challenge but no red card brandished. Think this was the guy who later talked himself into a red card after trying to show an imaginary yellow to Conor Chaplin, which wouldn't have happened if he'd been shown a straight red.

I tend to think we would have been better off under VAR but it is not just VAR that's the problem, it's the way it's undermined and changed referees, as others have commented.

I trust our manager to work on our players to make them more streetwise, as you need to go down in a particular way to show referees that you have been fouled. Luis Suarez was par excellence at this, always even seemed to know what angle the referee would see the challenge from. Kayden, Omari, and others will continue to be chopped in two and get nothing unless they learn how to react to being fouled. Our players are honest and we will get nothing from referees and VAR unless we get cleverer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024