Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project 16:21 - May 7 with 705 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I've just created a new Instagram page @veterans_project where I intend to share the stories of as many Second World War veterans as I am able to locate and arrange meetings with.

I've so far carried out three such meetings and I will begin to post about these soon.

If anyone is interested in following the project then please head over and follow the page.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 16:29 - May 7 with 654 viewsChurchman

I’ll do that. Thank you.
FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 16:56 - May 7 with 618 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 16:29 - May 7 by Churchman

I’ll do that. Thank you.

I'll begin posting in the next day or two.

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 17:26 - May 7 with 579 viewsGlory_Hunter

Can't be too many left now.

I was pally with an old gent for a few years, Jock, who lived in BSE. Lovely fella. I went into his home a couple of times where he still had the odd photo of his mates from his army days.

He told me he was at D-Day and that he "Didn't see many too heroes that day boy. I was 18 and most around me were the same; absolutely terrified". As was he.

Unless you were completely mad you would be wouldn't you.
FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 17:39 - May 7 with 562 viewsJ2BLUE

Incredible thing to do. Respect to you.

Have you watched Tattooist of Auschwitz on Sky?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 17:51 - May 7 with 552 viewsGlory_Hunter

There's a few on there.

Might be worth changing your avatar on here to the same you have on there for now to help people spot it better?
FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 17:59 - May 7 with 528 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 17:51 - May 7 by Glory_Hunter

There's a few on there.

Might be worth changing your avatar on here to the same you have on there for now to help people spot it better?

Good idea. I'll change it on here. The avatar you are looking for says 'VETERANS PROJECT 1939 - 1945' on a khaki green background.

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 18:00 - May 7 with 522 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 17:39 - May 7 by J2BLUE

Incredible thing to do. Respect to you.

Have you watched Tattooist of Auschwitz on Sky?

Ever since I met the D-Day veteran from Haverhill I've wanted to meet more of those who served. The stories I've heard so far are fascinating.

Haven't watched it yet but I've got it on record!

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 18:03 - May 7 with 515 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 17:26 - May 7 by Glory_Hunter

Can't be too many left now.

I was pally with an old gent for a few years, Jock, who lived in BSE. Lovely fella. I went into his home a couple of times where he still had the odd photo of his mates from his army days.

He told me he was at D-Day and that he "Didn't see many too heroes that day boy. I was 18 and most around me were the same; absolutely terrified". As was he.

Unless you were completely mad you would be wouldn't you.

There are perhaps just under 500,000 left worldwide of all those who served. Of course many of those 500,000 are incredibly frail, and hundreds are dying every day.

One of the chaps I met a few days ago will be 100 in a few weeks and looked and sounded about 20 years younger.

Login to get fewer ads

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 18:05 - May 7 with 503 viewsGlory_Hunter

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 17:59 - May 7 by ThisIsMyUsername

Good idea. I'll change it on here. The avatar you are looking for says 'VETERANS PROJECT 1939 - 1945' on a khaki green background.

Yeah I saw it buddy. That's what me think it would make a good avatar.
FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 13:54 - May 17 with 249 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Bump for anyone else who might be interested in following the project.

First couple of posts are now up.

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 14:00 - May 17 with 232 viewsleitrimblue

That's an excellent project. These lads have an incredible resource of knowledge that needs tapping into and recording now before it's to late.
Are you recording them?
Do you have somewhere permanent and safe to keep the recordings?
Would be interesting to know if Duxford or somewhere similar may be interested in storing your research permanently
FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 14:04 - May 17 with 208 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 14:00 - May 17 by leitrimblue

That's an excellent project. These lads have an incredible resource of knowledge that needs tapping into and recording now before it's to late.
Are you recording them?
Do you have somewhere permanent and safe to keep the recordings?
Would be interesting to know if Duxford or somewhere similar may be interested in storing your research permanently

I've been recording the audio of our conversations, so they can be stored on both a computer and mobile phone.

That's an interesting idea that I will keep in mind.

I've still only met three veterans since starting to work on this. I've put out various feelers some of which might come to fruition in the next couple of months.

If anyone reading this knows of anyone, please do let me know.

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 14:18 - May 17 with 171 viewsleitrimblue

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 14:04 - May 17 by ThisIsMyUsername

I've been recording the audio of our conversations, so they can be stored on both a computer and mobile phone.

That's an interesting idea that I will keep in mind.

I've still only met three veterans since starting to work on this. I've put out various feelers some of which might come to fruition in the next couple of months.

If anyone reading this knows of anyone, please do let me know.

I sometimes work on community archaeology or heritage projects but I don't really have any experience of this kinda thing.
I have had friends who have volunteered on slightly similar projects, recording the stories and experiences of older folks( though not really involving veterans) in and around Ireland.
Think their recordings eventually end up in the repository of the museum of Ireland.
The information and experiences these lads have is unique and incredible and needs to be preserved forever.
Your doing an incredible job
FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 14:38 - May 17 with 138 viewsThisIsMyUsername

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 14:18 - May 17 by leitrimblue

I sometimes work on community archaeology or heritage projects but I don't really have any experience of this kinda thing.
I have had friends who have volunteered on slightly similar projects, recording the stories and experiences of older folks( though not really involving veterans) in and around Ireland.
Think their recordings eventually end up in the repository of the museum of Ireland.
The information and experiences these lads have is unique and incredible and needs to be preserved forever.
Your doing an incredible job

We should all do our bit!

Appreciated. Fingers crossed I manage to sort many more meetings.

FAO those interested in history - new Second World War project on 14:51 - May 17 with 120 viewsCaptainAhab

Just followed, I look forward to reading their stories. Brilliant project, well done.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024