Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are we reading in May? 08:46 - May 8 with 715 viewsRobTheMonk

Sorry, missed the April one as had lots on with getting married and all that jazz !

I'm currently reading Roadwork by Richard Bachman (Stephen King pseudonym). I wouldn't say I'm enjoying it as much as some of King's other works, but it feels very real, possible and still relevant.

I've also been reading through Trophy Hunt, book 4 of the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box. These are about a game warden and his family during a changing political and socioeconomic climate in a small rural town. Good mystery novels in a cool setting.

Also started Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch series and have read the first two books. Really enjoyed both.

Hoping to start the final entry of Wheel of Time, Memory of Light, by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson, later this month too.

My aim this year is to read 30 books. I'm currently on 14 so on target!
[Post edited 8 May 9:08]
What are we reading in May? on 08:56 - May 8 with 670 viewsfooters

Well, I am very glad you took up the monthly book thread in my absence, dear chap.

How is Madge keeping btw? Still reading her Maeve Binchys?

Anyway, I am very glad you ask.

I am just finishing Leonardo Sciascia's 'The Moro Affair' about the kidnapping and murder of the former Italian PM by the Italian Red Brigades. A short but jolly interesting book.

Also in the paddock is Peter Hennessey's book 'Cabinet' which is about, you've guessed it, the history of the British Cabinet - and I'm not talking about woodworking.

Have a glorious day, one and all.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What are we reading in May? on 08:56 - May 8 with 669 viewsWeWereZombies

Currently on the last few pages of 'True History of the Kelly Gang' by Peter Carey, one of his two Booker Prize winning novels and an interesting study of the Irish diaspora in Australia as well as of how people come to be viewed as criminals and then start serious law breaking.

And then because I didn't have it with me on the coach yesterday evening but had just taken out the most recent Edna O'Brien from the library, twenty pages into 'Girl'.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

What are we reading in May? on 09:02 - May 8 with 658 viewsChurchman

I shall try the CJ Box books. I read a fair amount but I’d guess a minimum of a book a week. If you’ve not picked up on it, the library App Libby is a good thing. Access to an awful lot of books for nothing so cheaper than a kindle.

Interesting reads in April were Andrew Lambert’s The Challenge (1812 war), an Alice Loxton’s Uproar (about 18/19c satirists Gillray and Rowlinson) and Ben Shepherd’s Hitler’s Soldiers. Just started CS Forester’s The Ship.
What are we reading in May? on 09:05 - May 8 with 650 viewsDJR

Currently reading the Beat Generation classic, On the Road by Jack Kerouac.
What are we reading in May? on 09:11 - May 8 with 631 viewshomer_123

1. Idiots guide to the English Premiership

2. How VAR ruined football and other sports technological blunders

3. Football - Financial Fair Play - an oxymoron

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What are we reading in May? on 09:13 - May 8 with 618 viewsfooters

What are we reading in May? on 09:11 - May 8 by homer_123

1. Idiots guide to the English Premiership

2. How VAR ruined football and other sports technological blunders

3. Football - Financial Fair Play - an oxymoron

You've made a glaring omission there, homer.

Where's Tim Lovejoy's book?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What are we reading in May? on 09:15 - May 8 with 610 viewsDanTheMan

Onto book 5 of Red Rising saga, a difficult read as it's quite depressing and I imagine going to get worse.

In lighter reading, A Stroke of the Pen which is a collection of short stories by Terry Pratchett.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What are we reading in May? on 09:17 - May 8 with 600 viewsThisIsMyUsername

The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, at my girlfriend's request.

The writing is brilliant, though I'm not fully following the story, but I guess that's what happens when you choose to read before sleeping. I'll probably read it again once I finish.

Would recommend.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Login to get fewer ads

What are we reading in May? on 09:22 - May 8 with 555 viewschicoazul

The Ministry of Fear. Everyone should read Greene.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What are we reading in May? on 09:23 - May 8 with 568 viewsRobTheMonk

What are we reading in May? on 09:15 - May 8 by DanTheMan

Onto book 5 of Red Rising saga, a difficult read as it's quite depressing and I imagine going to get worse.

In lighter reading, A Stroke of the Pen which is a collection of short stories by Terry Pratchett.

I have these ready to read on Kindle.

Once I've finished Wheel of Time, I've got space for another big series.
What are we reading in May? on 09:23 - May 8 with 568 viewsWeWereZombies

What are we reading in May? on 09:15 - May 8 by DanTheMan

I'm currently locked into a 'most depressing dystopian novel' battle royale with my youngest niece - she recommended 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy, which I read at the start of a trip to Southern Africa on January, I got over it. Forwarded 'A Song of Stone' by Iain Banks around the same time, yet to hear back from her...

What are we reading in May? on 09:36 - May 8 with 533 viewsDJR

What are we reading in May? on 09:22 - May 8 by chicoazul

The Ministry of Fear. Everyone should read Greene.

Probably my favourite author but has maybe gone a bit out of fashion.
What are we reading in May? on 09:41 - May 8 with 514 viewsWeWereZombies

What are we reading in May? on 09:17 - May 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, at my girlfriend's request.

The writing is brilliant, though I'm not fully following the story, but I guess that's what happens when you choose to read before sleeping. I'll probably read it again once I finish.

Would recommend.

I wrote out a list of all the locations in that book so that I can investigate them next time I visit Barcelona. Going to be really disappointing if I find out that every single one is made up.

What are we reading in May? on 09:53 - May 8 with 488 viewsThisIsMyUsername

What are we reading in May? on 09:41 - May 8 by WeWereZombies

I wrote out a list of all the locations in that book so that I can investigate them next time I visit Barcelona. Going to be really disappointing if I find out that every single one is made up.

She's done that too now for when she next goes there. Have you read the others in the series?

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

What are we reading in May? on 09:59 - May 8 with 468 viewsWeWereZombies

What are we reading in May? on 09:53 - May 8 by ThisIsMyUsername

She's done that too now for when she next goes there. Have you read the others in the series?

No, but I have read 'The Midnight Palace' which I can only describe as The Famous Five do acid in Bombay....

What are we reading in May? on 10:03 - May 8 with 455 viewsBluebell

With you on the Harry Bosch - Michael Connolly. I started further through the series but have now got the first few that I missed.

I am enjoying it as much now as I know how it all started.

Most of the books I read are crime novels. I love Peter James books too although I had nightmares after reading Dead Simple!
What are we reading in May? on 20:17 - May 8 with 303 viewsBluesky

What are we reading in May? on 09:02 - May 8 by Churchman

I shall try the CJ Box books. I read a fair amount but I’d guess a minimum of a book a week. If you’ve not picked up on it, the library App Libby is a good thing. Access to an awful lot of books for nothing so cheaper than a kindle.

Interesting reads in April were Andrew Lambert’s The Challenge (1812 war), an Alice Loxton’s Uproar (about 18/19c satirists Gillray and Rowlinson) and Ben Shepherd’s Hitler’s Soldiers. Just started CS Forester’s The Ship.

I had never heard of Libby - so I tried it. It insisted I was in Frankfurt (I wasn't using VPN) and it couldn't find my library. What did I do wrong?

For me - in times of extreme stress (Covid, Cancer, Coventry) I read James Lee Burke. Poetic descriptions of New Orleans and surround and Montana. Detective Dave Robicheaux and his indestructible pal, Clete.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024