Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? 17:13 - May 10 with 11816 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Lot of boycotting. Israel televote landslide victory incoming and the future of Eurovision to be put into huge doubt in the aftermath. Chaos.

They’re 2/1 now to win outright after being 40/1 yesterday lunchtime before the semi final vote in Italy was leaked. The Dutch bloke being likely kicked out for punching one of the Israeli delegation today too for mocking his dead dad adds to the shenanigans.

It’s always political. We all know that. But this is way worse this year. The Israeli singer was booed throughout and yet the crowd noise was muzzled and replaced with fake cheers over the tv which seems to have increased the tensions.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 12:52 - May 12 with 1378 viewsvictorywilhappen

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 12:46 - May 12 by redrickstuhaart

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence...

OK. What do you want evidence of?
[Post edited 12 May 13:00]
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:06 - May 12 with 1300 viewsSwansea_Blue

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 08:41 - May 12 by GlasgowBlue

Perhaps trolling is the wrong word. Bullying and intimidation would be better. Death threats, hounded out if her hotel room by other contestants, harassment, booing and ignored by most of the panel of judges, despite Eden having a very good song which gained the second highest amount of votes from the worldwide general public.

If you see the actual footage of her performance with the original sound feed the “trolls” tried their hardest to drown out her singing. That she actually gave such an inspiring and emotional performance throughout that noise is remarkable. A fitting tribute from Eden to those young Israeli music fans who went to a festival and never came back.

Ah right, I understand now. I thought you were talking about people on here, as I had responded to what I thought was a particularly daft post. I agree that direct intimidation and bullying are of course unacceptable.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:09 - May 12 with 1295 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 09:07 - May 12 by Herbivore

I dunno, without all the politics it's just a load of terrible music.

For me it's in 'so bad it's good' territory. I love the bonkers songs and OTT sets (but never listen to such songs again once the night is over).

The UK always tries too hard. We ought to enter something about cricket playing squirrels or similar.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:14 - May 12 with 1271 viewsgiant_stow

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:09 - May 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

For me it's in 'so bad it's good' territory. I love the bonkers songs and OTT sets (but never listen to such songs again once the night is over).

The UK always tries too hard. We ought to enter something about cricket playing squirrels or similar.

It was a particularly bad show last night - the only half decent song/performance won thank goodness, but most of the rest was either bland nothing sh!te, or hyper-sexualised.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:25 - May 12 with 1230 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 12:44 - May 12 by J2BLUE

I'm proud of showing support for an innocent young woman being targeted and bullied.

Quite happy to criticise the Israeli government but not going to blame her for their actions anymore than innocent Palestinians for the actions of Hamas.

You'll be hoping Russia are allowed back in next year I'm sure.

Edit....lol, you are! Fair enough.

Edit 2...I disagree, both should have been barred as their presence gives tacit acceptance of the actions of their nation states.
[Post edited 12 May 13:30]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:31 - May 12 with 1189 viewsgiant_stow

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:25 - May 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Edit 2...I disagree, both should have been barred as their presence gives tacit acceptance of the actions of their nation states.

If Gaza was a member of the EBU, I wonder if they'd have been banned?

This isn't a rhetorical question. My guess is both them and Israel would have been treated the same way.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:35 - May 12 with 1174 viewsredrickstuhaart

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:31 - May 12 by giant_stow

This isn't a rhetorical question. My guess is both them and Israel would have been treated the same way.

Gaza would need to be a recognised nation first. Which, of course, is unacceptable to Israel and at the heart of it all.

And, of course, Gaza hasn't attacked anyone or behaved in genocidal manner. So yes, they probably would be invited...
[Post edited 12 May 13:47]
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:41 - May 12 with 1158 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:31 - May 12 by giant_stow

Just like Ukraine and Russia!

Edit....ps, there's a game on!
[Post edited 12 May 13:42]

Login to get fewer ads

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:48 - May 12 with 1101 viewsJ2BLUE

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:25 - May 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Don't you think Putin would hate Russia taking part?

I thought you would be all for the LGBT community upsetting him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:49 - May 12 with 1100 viewsSarge

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 12:49 - May 12 by redrickstuhaart

I can see that argument.

It’s not. Russia’s prior success in Eurovision is a form of soft power in Putin’s eyes and the contest is a big deal in Russia.

In fact it’s a big deal all over Europe, the perception that it’s only for the gays and the weirdos is a very UK-centric one. The reason we never do very well is because we don’t try hard enough, we just churn out formulaic songs with dull staging and expect to win because UK audiences are only engaged for a few hours during the final. In Sweden, Italy, and the other successful countries a lot of attention is paid to the entire process and the song isn’t selected behind closed doors by the BBC like it is here.

I went to the national selection final in Sweden a few years ago, it’s like FA Cup final day there.
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:59 - May 12 with 1064 viewsgiant_stow

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:41 - May 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Just like Ukraine and Russia!

Edit....ps, there's a game on!
[Post edited 12 May 13:42]

lol - just realised! Thought it started at 2!

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 14:00 - May 12 with 1052 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:59 - May 12 by giant_stow

lol - just realised! Thought it started at 2!

You never did!

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 14:01 - May 12 with 1048 viewsgiant_stow

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 14:00 - May 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

You never did!

honest boss.

Confirmation that I'm a crappy fan.

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 14:20 - May 12 with 985 viewsleitrimblue

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 12:28 - May 12 by victorywilhappen

Native Ameican genocide is ongoing.

Cultural genocide via capitalism is invasive into every aspect of our lives that you have chosen to ignore it?.

How Many hundreds of innocent unarmed native Americans did the USA kill this week?
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 14:20 - May 12 with 979 viewsJ2BLUE

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 14:01 - May 12 by giant_stow

honest boss.

Confirmation that I'm a crappy fan.

Nah, just more evidence you're a Town fan.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:19 - May 12 with 878 viewsvictorywilhappen

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 14:20 - May 12 by leitrimblue

How Many hundreds of innocent unarmed native Americans did the USA kill this week?

One state stats.

https://dphhs.mt.gov/assets/publichealth/CDEpi/DiseasesAtoZ/2019-nCoV/Reports/AI

Sorry i cannot do a proper league table. The point is actually not the numbers but the action leading to the numbers. Why so resistant?

These stats are not in your in box or visual news and so it maybe easier for you to ignore.

This is not unique and nor is how one sided news consumption can create b/w thinking. Good/bad, us/them...girl on stage = object of hate.

The Native American genocide is still happening.
As are the effects on the collective and cultural memory and health of those descended from slaves
[Post edited 12 May 15:23]
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:35 - May 12 with 839 viewsredrickstuhaart

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:19 - May 12 by victorywilhappen

One state stats.

https://dphhs.mt.gov/assets/publichealth/CDEpi/DiseasesAtoZ/2019-nCoV/Reports/AI

Sorry i cannot do a proper league table. The point is actually not the numbers but the action leading to the numbers. Why so resistant?

These stats are not in your in box or visual news and so it maybe easier for you to ignore.

This is not unique and nor is how one sided news consumption can create b/w thinking. Good/bad, us/them...girl on stage = object of hate.

As are the effects on the collective and cultural memory and health of those descended from slaves

Are you trying to tell us that cultural and ethnic issues can lead to inequality, which runs to health and so on as well as opportunity? No one disagrees with that...

But its an utterly innappropriate comparitor for actively waging a war and killing 10s of thousands of civilians, whilst dismantling infreastructure, education and health faciltiies, and denying them food, medicine and water.

What is notable is that you still haven't put cards on the table and made a specific explanation for your point. You offer a link and invite people to extract what you mean from it. Leaving ample wriggle room.
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:37 - May 12 with 835 viewsleitrimblue

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:19 - May 12 by victorywilhappen

One state stats.

So your suggesting that native American deaths caused by covid 19 is some how proof of the USA committing genocide against that community?
And more importantly is comparable with the deliberate daily murder of children in Gaza?
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:55 - May 12 with 795 viewsvictorywilhappen

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:35 - May 12 by redrickstuhaart

Are you trying to tell us that cultural and ethnic issues can lead to inequality, which runs to health and so on as well as opportunity? No one disagrees with that...

But its an utterly innappropriate comparitor for actively waging a war and killing 10s of thousands of civilians, whilst dismantling infreastructure, education and health faciltiies, and denying them food, medicine and water.

What is notable is that you still haven't put cards on the table and made a specific explanation for your point. You offer a link and invite people to extract what you mean from it. Leaving ample wriggle room.

OK

What is happening in Gaza can be seen as ethnic cleansing and the destruction of a people because the land is wanted. is this your position?

When this has happened in the past in the USA, Australia and Canada for example the effects last for generations and are ongoing leading to to slow complete eradication of a culture. This is still an ongoing process.

An example that the process is still being played out in Australia would be a recent referendum. This show a large proportion of the population is living in denial about the past and it's impact on a culture.

What I am linking is the here and now with long-term ramifications.

Sorry if it's not what you want to discuss. It's a POV of a bigger picture.
[Post edited 12 May 15:59]
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:57 - May 12 with 781 viewsredrickstuhaart

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:55 - May 12 by victorywilhappen

OK

What is happening in Gaza can be seen as ethnic cleansing and the destruction of a people because the land is wanted. is this your position?

When this has happened in the past in the USA, Australia and Canada for example the effects last for generations and are ongoing leading to to slow complete eradication of a culture. This is still an ongoing process.

An example that the process is still being played out in Australia would be a recent referendum. This show a large proportion of the population is living in denial about the past and it's impact on a culture.

What I am linking is the here and now with long-term ramifications.

Sorry if it's not what you want to discuss. It's a POV of a bigger picture.
[Post edited 12 May 15:59]

All fair and important things to discuss, but not remotely comparable or relevant to what was said in this thread.
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 16:03 - May 12 with 774 viewsvictorywilhappen

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 15:57 - May 12 by redrickstuhaart

All fair and important things to discuss, but not remotely comparable or relevant to what was said in this thread.

I think said part in jest to LB that boycotting countries and boycotting funding from countries could open a can of worms as not many are clean. Or that was my point.
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 21:17 - May 12 with 609 viewsTractorWood

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 13:49 - May 12 by Sarge

It’s not. Russia’s prior success in Eurovision is a form of soft power in Putin’s eyes and the contest is a big deal in Russia.

In fact it’s a big deal all over Europe, the perception that it’s only for the gays and the weirdos is a very UK-centric one. The reason we never do very well is because we don’t try hard enough, we just churn out formulaic songs with dull staging and expect to win because UK audiences are only engaged for a few hours during the final. In Sweden, Italy, and the other successful countries a lot of attention is paid to the entire process and the song isn’t selected behind closed doors by the BBC like it is here.

I went to the national selection final in Sweden a few years ago, it’s like FA Cup final day there.

You can tell a 40 person BBC think-tank selects the song. It's like they try to pick the most banal song every year and then act dumbfounded when we come 20th.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 08:47 - May 13 with 420 viewsEuropablue

My political take is that Israel is not in Europe and neither is Australia.
The other thing is a lot of people seem to be experts about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and have an abnormally strong interest in something that doesn't really affect them.
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 08:52 - May 13 with 404 viewsEuropablue

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 08:58 - May 11 by _clive_baker_

I’ve got some dough on Ukraine but I don’t suppose I’ll see that again. It wasn’t political, just because of the half a dozen songs I heard it was the only one that didn’t make me want to cut my head off with a rusty breadknife.

Didn't you hear? Ukraine was the last current thing, the current current thing is Israel-Palestine.
Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 08:56 - May 13 with 384 viewsEuropablue

Eurovison - Anyone followed it this week? on 12:10 - May 11 by pointofblue

I hate to be so confident as I appreciate your experience and knowledge when it comes to betting on events, Rommers, but I don't think Israel will win. They're not like Ukraine, who had the whole continent on their side. Admittedly, it's difficult because there are 23 or 24 anti-Israel votes rather than just the one but I think Croatia or Switzerland will pull through, with an outside chance of France.

As an aside, as posted above, Joost was kicked out for an altercation with a member of the technical team, rather than someone from the Israeli delegation.

Staying neutral seems like the best strategy
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024