Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book recommendations 10:30 - May 14 with 1790 viewsMattinLondon

Hello
I’m off on my hols soon and I’m looking for some holiday book recommendations - fiction only.

I’m not fussed in terms of genre as I like to read different things. But I’m looking for a book that contains a lot of humour (preferably darker humour). Also must have some action in it or a plot (just read Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín which in my opinion was incredibly dull and nothing happened).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Book recommendations on 10:32 - May 14 with 1462 viewsUB9Blue

Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer is a fairly easy read and quite amusing. Its also a good listen on audio as he does the narrating himself
Book recommendations on 10:38 - May 14 with 1432 viewsMattinLondon

Book recommendations on 10:32 - May 14 by UB9Blue

Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer is a fairly easy read and quite amusing. Its also a good listen on audio as he does the narrating himself

Doh, that’s the only book I’ve read this year. Thanks anyway.

He has a follow-up book out in August which I’ll be buying.
Book recommendations on 10:43 - May 14 with 1416 viewsbelgablue

Boy swallows universe is pretty dark with a dash of humour.
The Romantic by William Boyd
Satsuma Complex as someone else suggested, pretty easy read and funny in places.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Book recommendations on 10:55 - May 14 with 1390 viewsRobTheMonk

The Book With No Name, by Anonymous.

It's like From Dusk Till Dawn on steroids but is pretty funny in places and full of action. Synopsis from Amazon below:

'Detective Miles Jensen is called to the lawless town of Santa Mondega to investigate a spate of murders. This would all be quite ordinary in those rough streets, except that Jensen is the Chief Detective of Supernatural Investigations. The breakneck plot centres around a mysterious blue stone - 'The Eye of the Moon' - and the men (and women) who all want to get their hands on it: a mass murderer with a drink problem, a hit man who thinks he's Elvis, and a pair of monks among them. Add in the local crime baron, an amnesiac woman who's just emerged from a five-year coma, a gypsy fortune teller and a hapless hotel porter, and the plot thickens fast. Most importantly, how do all these people come to be linked to the strange book with no name? This is the anonymous, ancient book that no one seems to have survived reading.'
Book recommendations on 10:57 - May 14 with 1384 viewsWeWereZombies

Book recommendations on 10:43 - May 14 by belgablue

Boy swallows universe is pretty dark with a dash of humour.
The Romantic by William Boyd
Satsuma Complex as someone else suggested, pretty easy read and funny in places.

'The Romantic' seconded, and if you have never read any William Boyd then now is the time to start. You could do them all chronologically and start with 'A Good Man In Africa' but if you only read one then make it 'Any Human Heart' - story of my life that book.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Book recommendations on 11:00 - May 14 with 1378 viewsbelgablue

Book recommendations on 10:57 - May 14 by WeWereZombies

'The Romantic' seconded, and if you have never read any William Boyd then now is the time to start. You could do them all chronologically and start with 'A Good Man In Africa' but if you only read one then make it 'Any Human Heart' - story of my life that book.

Any human heart has been on the list for a while but thanks for the reminder - finished a book last night so I'll give it a go today.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Book recommendations on 11:02 - May 14 with 1368 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50957365

I read this one this time last year, but it's that outstanding sort of book that you really want to revisit, but oh so rarely get the chance to.
[Post edited 14 May 11:20]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Book recommendations on 11:05 - May 14 with 1362 viewsartsbossbeard

Killers of the Flower Moon: Oil, Money, Murder and the Birth of the FBI - David Grann

It's NOT the book of the film and rather details the table of events and the task forces/individuals involved.

V Decent plane/beach read.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Login to get fewer ads

Book recommendations on 11:07 - May 14 with 1334 viewsBloomBlue

Based purely on what I read during a holiday earlier this year

The Fraud by Zadie Smith
Birnam Wood by Eleanor Catton
Age Of Vice by Deepti Kapoor

All were excellent novels
Book recommendations on 12:55 - May 14 with 1200 viewsDarkBrandon

Venemous Lumpsucker by Ned Beauman. A funny sci-fi book.

Man Eating Typewriter., by Richard Millard. Again funny, but somewhat more challenging. A book-within-a-book, and lots of polari slang
Book recommendations on 13:27 - May 14 with 1162 viewsRIPbobby

Gregory McDonald any of the Fletch books. 3 be films have been made of them.
Book recommendations on 13:38 - May 14 with 1141 viewsvictorywilhappen

You are Here - David Nicholls

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/apr/16/you-are-here-by-david-nicholls-rev

Easy, witty and nice. A good one to pass on to a travel companion once finished.
Book recommendations on 13:45 - May 14 with 1106 viewseireblue

https://whitehairedirishman.shop/pages/reading-order
Book recommendations on 15:11 - May 14 with 1017 viewsBluefields

Glue - Irvine Welsh
Book recommendations on 15:50 - May 14 with 988 viewsGodzilla

The Church of Arthur Fowler is a half decent comic debut from David Wiley. The Bee Sting by Paul Murray.
Book recommendations on 16:07 - May 14 with 964 viewsjontysnut

50 years old this year but just reread Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe. Classic dark comedy farce. It was all the rage in the 70s.
Book recommendations on 16:23 - May 14 with 937 viewsBuhrer

Book recommendations on 15:11 - May 14 by Bluefields

Glue - Irvine Welsh

Marabou Stork Nightmares
The Bible. (n/t) on 16:26 - May 14 with 927 viewsBloots

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Book recommendations on 16:28 - May 14 with 915 viewsBuhrer

Book recommendations on 16:07 - May 14 by jontysnut

50 years old this year but just reread Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe. Classic dark comedy farce. It was all the rage in the 70s.

Have you read The Throwback? Very good.
Book recommendations on 16:42 - May 14 with 869 viewsADStephenson

I can't let an opportunity like this go without recommending my own books. The first one is pretty much a parody book but (I would say) a reasonable and quick read.
The second and third are much more serious action/crime stories and far superior in quality (I learnt a lot writing the first, including what I actually want to write about).
A Cloud Can Weigh A Million Pounds
The Flames That Lick at the Shadows
The Deluge

www.adstephenson.com

Book recommendations on 16:53 - May 14 with 840 viewsMJallday

Book recommendations on 15:11 - May 14 by Bluefields

Glue - Irvine Welsh

I read that. Couldn’t put it down.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Book recommendations on 16:57 - May 14 with 827 viewsHugoagogo_Reborn

e by Matt Beaumont. Perfect 'by the pool' book. Written entirely as emails between colleagues and clients in a marketing company. LOL territory.
The Bible. (n/t) on 17:19 - May 14 with 788 viewsDanTheMan

The Bible. (n/t) on 16:26 - May 14 by Bloots

For humour, you really can't beat the bit where a man gets mocked for being bald by some children so in response God sends two bears to maul forty-two of them.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Book recommendations on 17:25 - May 14 with 764 viewsMattinLondon

Book recommendations on 16:57 - May 14 by Hugoagogo_Reborn

e by Matt Beaumont. Perfect 'by the pool' book. Written entirely as emails between colleagues and clients in a marketing company. LOL territory.

I’ve read that and the follow up e2. Both absolute hilarious.

I’ve read a couple others by him and they are both funny as well. I haven’t seen anything by him on sale for sometime.

Thanks for all the other recommendations posters.
Who’d win in a fight…. on 17:53 - May 14 with 743 viewsBloots

The Bible. (n/t) on 17:19 - May 14 by DanTheMan

For humour, you really can't beat the bit where a man gets mocked for being bald by some children so in response God sends two bears to maul forty-two of them.

….two bears or 42 foxes?

No weapons allowed.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024