Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Ipswich Town Captains 20:31 - May 15 with 2398 viewsChurchman

I thought I’d start a summertime thread, not least as a crude, shallow effort to distract from the ‘other’ thread that’s running.

Who are the best ITFC Captains you have seen. This can be by their captaincy, ability, anything you like. I’ll go:

1. Mick Mills
2. Sam Morsy
3. Matt Holland
4. David Linighan
5. Jason De Vos

I did see Billy Baxter play, but I don’t really remember him tbh, so he has to stay with the McLuckie’s, Nelson’s and Parker’s of our glorious past.
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:02 - May 16 with 612 viewsChurchman

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 07:19 - May 16 by BondiBlue

Holland was captain by then. Took over from mogga the summer of 99 when mogga retired. And then came out of retirement because manu thetis wasn't as reliable a replacement as we'd hoped.

Holland in my lifetime but morsy's pushing him very close. Honourable mention to chambo for long-service and being a top bloke. Shame the teams he played in were so dreadful.

According to Pride of Anglia and my terrible memory, Holland became captain in 98 taking over from Geraint Williams Mowbray definitely retired after Wembley 2000.

Good shout for Luke Chambers. There was never any doubt who was captain when he was on the field. He wore his heart on his sleeve just as he did the armband.

He’s a heck of a lot better pundit than most of them too, including gasbag Goodman.
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:07 - May 16 with 595 viewsGlasgowBlue

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:02 - May 16 by Churchman

According to Pride of Anglia and my terrible memory, Holland became captain in 98 taking over from Geraint Williams Mowbray definitely retired after Wembley 2000.

Good shout for Luke Chambers. There was never any doubt who was captain when he was on the field. He wore his heart on his sleeve just as he did the armband.

He’s a heck of a lot better pundit than most of them too, including gasbag Goodman.

Here’s the full list of Captains from POA.

https://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=clubCaptains

Forgot that Jon Walters and Paul Mariner were captains. Not a fan of forwards being captains.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:12 - May 16 with 582 viewsBondiBlue

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:02 - May 16 by Churchman

Happy to take your word for it because i've killed far too many brain cells since then but i've done some sleuthing and there seem to be a fair few photos of mogga with an armband on floating around the internet.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:16 - May 16 with 575 viewsBondiBlue

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:07 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

Forgot that Jon Walters and Paul Mariner were captains. Not a fan of forwards being captains.

Mildly interesting to see that, contrary to popular belief, there was more than one F-ing chambers

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:38 - May 16 with 551 viewsoldburian

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 22:53 - May 15 by Churchman

Andy Nesbitt Nelson played 214 matches for us over five years. His pictures suggest that crossing him meant you were in for a tough day.

Started at West Ham (15 apps), went on from us to Orient in 1964 (43 apps) then Plymouth in 65 for a further 94 matches.

I’d be interested in the view of anyone who saw him play. His name doesn’t crop up much.

Solid and dependable. You always felt safe with him at the back. We have had some high level centre backs but the years 1960 to 1962 there was not a better stopper in the League.

I saw him play for Orient against us after he left and he dominated still. Loses a bit of highlight because those that followed but crucial for us at the time.
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 09:07 - May 16 with 522 viewsChurchman

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:12 - May 16 by BondiBlue

Happy to take your word for it because i've killed far too many brain cells since then but i've done some sleuthing and there seem to be a fair few photos of mogga with an armband on floating around the internet.

And I’m more than happy to be corrected. It was a long time ago now. I thought Mowbray joined after Holland but he actually joined us two years before in 1995!
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 09:19 - May 16 with 509 viewsDJR

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 08:07 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

Based on that list, and players I have seen, it would be Mills by a long way but with honorable mentions for Billy Baxter (for longevity) and Terry Butcher (for class, with 77 caps for England). Admittedly we were in decline, but we were still Division 1 and Butcher won player of the year in 1985 and 1986.
[Post edited 16 May 9:20]
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 09:32 - May 16 with 487 viewsyesjohn99

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 07:19 - May 16 by BondiBlue

Holland was captain by then. Took over from mogga the summer of 99 when mogga retired. And then came out of retirement because manu thetis wasn't as reliable a replacement as we'd hoped.

Holland in my lifetime but morsy's pushing him very close. Honourable mention to chambo for long-service and being a top bloke. Shame the teams he played in were so dreadful.

Definitely rings a bell Mogga making a comeback.
Login to get fewer ads

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 09:45 - May 16 with 481 viewsmonkeymagic

Based on who I actually saw play :
Mills
Butcher
Magic
Morsy
Holland
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 09:45 - May 16 with 480 viewssolemio

1. Mick Mills
2. Matt Holland
3. Sam Morsy
4. Andy Nelson
5. Jason de Vos

Yes, I did see them all play!
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 10:30 - May 16 with 451 viewsreuserfivethree

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 09:32 - May 16 by yesjohn99

Definitely rings a bell Mogga making a comeback.

mogga came back for this game against charlton

which i'm still gutted i missed
[Post edited 16 May 10:38]
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 10:58 - May 16 with 429 viewsBondiBlue

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 10:30 - May 16 by reuserfivethree

mogga came back for this game against charlton

which i'm still gutted i missed
[Post edited 16 May 10:38]

Great game. Mogga was so good after spending the first 20 mins getting back to speed, which was fair enough given he was 35ish, hadn't played for months and was up against the best attack in the league.

This might have something to do with why i'm on another thread saying he's my pick for next itfc manager.

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 15:09 - May 16 with 357 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 21:11 - May 15 by GlasgowBlue

Mick Mills will always be my captain but Morsy is right up there with him.

Mills edges it due to his wonderful posture. Morsy's isn't bad, but Mick Mills is a walking advert for the alexander technique. I could watch him just standing all day.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 15:13 - May 16 with 353 viewsHugoagogo_Reborn

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 21:07 - May 15 by Sharkey

The answer’s Zondervan. Always Zondervan.

He smacked a football at my head at a primary school visit way back in the 80s. Total accident, but he came running over, said sorry and picked me up and ruffled my hair. Awesome fellow.

I've not been right since, but he'll always be one of my faves. Jason de Vos, Chambo and Magic are my other faves.
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 15:33 - May 16 with 333 viewsNthQldITFC

I thought Facters had a monopoly on captain competitions?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 15:47 - May 16 with 317 viewsbaxterbasics

No love for Gareth McAuley?

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 17:27 - May 16 with 280 viewskpblues

My top 6 captains based on them leading us to honours and on field leadership is :

1. Mick Mills
2. Andy Nelson
3. Billy Baxter
4. Sammy Morsy
5. Matt Holland
6. Tommy Parker

Love that Sammy is amongst them.
We are very lucky to have him.

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 20:19 - May 16 with 226 viewsMisterBlue

Surely Captain Ivan should get a mention.
Best Ipswich Town Captains on 20:23 - May 16 with 219 viewsChurchman

Best Ipswich Town Captains on 20:19 - May 16 by MisterBlue

Surely Captain Ivan should get a mention.

He should! But not for captaining the team. He was key to the professional club’s existence. Sadly he was killed when the Guards Chapel was hit in 1944 by a V2.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024