Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On VAR 09:01 - May 16 with 1373 viewshype313

Wouldn't it be better if teams had two challenges per game akin to Tennis and Cricket? That way if anyone feels really hard done by they can review it? Keep Goal line technology obviously, but rather than having multiple reviews, you limit it?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

On VAR on 14:32 - May 16 with 288 viewsDarkBrandon

On VAR on 13:48 - May 16 by Bellevue_Blue

Is the elation of a goal actually going to be impacted that much, you just celebrate and then hope/ assume the goal stands. The elation is only really impacted when the goal is not given and you don't celebrate and then it gets changed to a goal.

This idea that people are just sitting on their hands until the goal is officially given is complete nonsense IMO. It's no different to a goal being scored and the ref consulting the linesman before disallowing it.

I understand the point that Football is unique but ask a fan of Rugby, Tennis, American Football if they lose the elation of celebrating a scoring a point/ try/ touchdown etc in that moment and I'm not sure many would say it drastically impacts that initial moment of 'elation' that fans harp on about with VAR.

I watch quite a lot of tennis, and it works fine there, but that is really because there are so many points in a set, and so few reviews. Also tennis has so many important points (all game/set/break points) that so many go by without challenge, and it is rarely worth challenging on a whim.
On VAR on 14:38 - May 16 with 265 viewsSmithersJones

In principle I like this idea and would be happy to see it trialled. But how does it work for goals that have been wrongly disallowed for offside, like in the Real v Bayern game?
On VAR on 14:41 - May 16 with 259 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

On VAR on 09:14 - May 16 by homer_123

I think this is actually even worse.

It will slow the game down even more. You can see teams using theirs strategically to break up play, slow it down etc.

VAR simply isn't needed.

Part and parcel of what makes football what it is - is 'decisions' - it's the human element that we all love and hate in equal measure.

VAR was brought in to deal with issues around obvious errors - it actually has made things worse on that front. As well as actually not being needed as generally ref and lino's got over 90% of calls right.

Agree with this. My day job as a lawyer involves forensic analysis of the evidence applied against the law to persuade a judge/jury to a particular conclusion. Football’s lifeblood is the excitement and immediacy of events in real time, it’s not a courtroom!

If there has been an egregious foul or misconduct, missed at the time, the player can be punished after the fact, so they’d be no ‘getting away with it’, eg with fines, suspension etc.

Football is about taking the rough with the smooth, the controversies create talking points and interest. Standing around for minutes at a time to learn whether it was a goal, penalty or offside is tedious nonsense.
On VAR on 15:15 - May 16 with 236 viewsNeedhamChris

I absolutely hate this idea. Let's stop trying to make VAR a shiny part of the show. It sucks the life out of goal celebrations in the PL and worsens the quality of refereeing, I'd bin it now.

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

On VAR on 17:28 - May 16 with 192 viewsbritbiker

If Leeds get promoted think of the hundreds of apology letters keeping VAR will save. As clearly all decisions go against Leeds when a ref gets involved.
On VAR on 18:14 - May 16 with 179 viewsbadadski

On VAR on 09:14 - May 16 by homer_123

I think this is actually even worse.

It will slow the game down even more. You can see teams using theirs strategically to break up play, slow it down etc.

VAR simply isn't needed.

Part and parcel of what makes football what it is - is 'decisions' - it's the human element that we all love and hate in equal measure.

VAR was brought in to deal with issues around obvious errors - it actually has made things worse on that front. As well as actually not being needed as generally ref and lino's got over 90% of calls right.

As apposed to players on 24 minutes feigning injury so everyonecan grab a swift one and catch up with the manager on the sidelines aka us for almost pretty much the whole of the second half of the season lol - I like the idea of a limited var but like in cricket if you abuse it you lose a challenge etc add some jeopardy
On VAR on 18:22 - May 16 with 161 viewsMK1

Keep goal line technology, get rid of the rest. We use to sit in the pub after games discussing the ref. We will now be moaning about VAR. Can we just let the officials have the responsibility back. They are professionals these days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024