Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton sideways move? 18:52 - May 18 with 5460 viewsNedPlimpton

Genuinely very surprised by people thinking that Brighton is a sideways move or wouldn't be appealing

For a big part of this season it looked like they could mount a challenge for a champions league place

They're a well established EPL club who seemingly haven't hit their ceiling yet and are probably up there with Villa as looking the most likely to properly break into the 'Big 6'

Think they're an enticing prospect for any manager on an upwards trajectory. I'm not saying that I think McKenna will go but it if he does stay it won't be because it's a sideways step
Brighton sideways move? on 19:56 - May 18 with 1176 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Brighton sideways move? on 19:51 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

So an established EPL club, with European ambitions, a bigger budget, a bigger stadium and managers who have recently left to go on to bigger jobs isn't enough of a reason to think that moving from Ipswich to Brighton wouldn't be a sideways move?

Established EPL Club - I'll give you that one
European Ambitions - Have you been listening to GC20, Mike O'leary, Mark Steed, Mark Ashton and Ed Swartz for the last three years?
Bigger Stadium - They are comparatively about the same size
Managers to Bigger Jobs - Apart from Potter, who turned out to be awful with money, name them.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Brighton sideways move? on 19:58 - May 18 with 1169 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 19:56 - May 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Established EPL Club - I'll give you that one
European Ambitions - Have you been listening to GC20, Mike O'leary, Mark Steed, Mark Ashton and Ed Swartz for the last three years?
Bigger Stadium - They are comparatively about the same size
Managers to Bigger Jobs - Apart from Potter, who turned out to be awful with money, name them.

De Zerbi will definitely go on to a bigger job

We have ambitions, yes. But as others have said they're much further along than we are, which could potentially make them an attractive prospect. Do you honestly not see that at all?
Brighton sideways move? on 19:59 - May 18 with 1192 viewsPhilTWTD

Indeed, Brighton is a club a management step ahead of us at the moment and McKenna needs to prove himself at that sort of level before the Man U type job will come his way. Obviously, if he's here for a couple more years Town could be a club at the sort of level Brighton are now.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:04 - May 18 with 1122 viewsMK1

Brighton sideways move? on 19:46 - May 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Jesus wept. Of course they've had higher league finishes, they've been in the Prem whilst we were dropping down the championship and into league one.

They're profitable because they buy low and sell high, which is exactly the same M.O. that we are now on.

What else makes it an upward move?

Please take the emotion out of it.
If you HAD to put £1,000 of your own money on one of these teams surviving next season, which would you choose?
For the record, I am 90% we will survive, but I am 100% that Brighton will be ok.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:09 - May 18 with 1104 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Brighton sideways move? on 20:04 - May 18 by MK1

Please take the emotion out of it.
If you HAD to put £1,000 of your own money on one of these teams surviving next season, which would you choose?
For the record, I am 90% we will survive, but I am 100% that Brighton will be ok.

Honestly. And this is honestly without any doubt at all and certainly not with any blue tinted specs on.

We’ll both survive comfortably, I’d have both teams somewhere between 15th and 12th. We’ll probably be lower of the two, but easily safe.

Forest, Leicester and Everton to be relegated

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Brighton sideways move? on 20:11 - May 18 with 1097 viewsChurchman

Brighton sideways move? on 19:05 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

How so?

They finished 6th last year so it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that they do it again and again

So if McKenna does that it’s nothing special is it? Others have done it. So he’s just the maintenance man - if he’s lucky. If he does it with Ipswich, is it or is it not a bigger achievement given we were in the middle of L1 when he arrived?

Which is the greater challenge?
Brighton sideways move? on 20:13 - May 18 with 1103 viewsBluedandy

Brighton sideways move? on 19:59 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, Brighton is a club a management step ahead of us at the moment and McKenna needs to prove himself at that sort of level before the Man U type job will come his way. Obviously, if he's here for a couple more years Town could be a club at the sort of level Brighton are now.

No he doesn't, if McKenna successfully manages Town in the Premier League over one season never mind two that will be more than good enough for a genuinely big Premier League club.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:17 - May 18 with 1070 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 20:11 - May 18 by Churchman

So if McKenna does that it’s nothing special is it? Others have done it. So he’s just the maintenance man - if he’s lucky. If he does it with Ipswich, is it or is it not a bigger achievement given we were in the middle of L1 when he arrived?

Which is the greater challenge?

Ipswich is by far the bigger challenge, which is why it's more of a gamble. Obviously

That's like saying Pep would be better off at Luton because winning the league with them is a bigger challenge than doing it with City
[Post edited 18 May 20:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Brighton sideways move? on 20:19 - May 18 with 1051 viewsMK1

Brighton sideways move? on 20:09 - May 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Honestly. And this is honestly without any doubt at all and certainly not with any blue tinted specs on.

We’ll both survive comfortably, I’d have both teams somewhere between 15th and 12th. We’ll probably be lower of the two, but easily safe.

Forest, Leicester and Everton to be relegated

I agree. You didn't answer the question, but I agree.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:21 - May 18 with 1040 viewspointofblue

Brighton sideways move? on 20:17 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

Ipswich is by far the bigger challenge, which is why it's more of a gamble. Obviously

That's like saying Pep would be better off at Luton because winning the league with them is a bigger challenge than doing it with City

I'd say Brighton has greater risk but greater reward. If he matches De Zerbi's record he lines himself up for another 'promotion', and he's more likely to do that there than here, as much as it pains me to say it. But if they're battling against relegation at Christmas he'll be out, whilst he'll rightly be given more time here.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Brighton sideways move? on 20:23 - May 18 with 1039 viewsPhilTWTD

Brighton sideways move? on 20:13 - May 18 by Bluedandy

No he doesn't, if McKenna successfully manages Town in the Premier League over one season never mind two that will be more than good enough for a genuinely big Premier League club.

Maybe, but he has a greater chance of having a more successful season at Brighton next season. Success for us is staying up. If he takes us into the area Brighton have been for the last couple of seasons, then I agree with you.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:27 - May 18 with 1002 viewsHighgateBlue

I think Newcastle are more likely to break into the big six, given that they are 9 points and three places higher with 5 more wins, they have a bigger stadium, more fans, more passionate fans, more history (four titles, six FA Cups, and they've been in a mind-boggling 13 FA Cup finals), a manager who's not abandoning them, and crucially all the naughty money they could wish for.

I agree with the basic point that Brighton is clearly a bigger and more prestigious job than us, for sure. But I'm still not sure that he would want to insert a stepping stone in between us and a truly "big" job, especially given that keeping us up would be seen as a victory and if he wants to cash out at that stage, he would have a Brighton level job if he wanted it (here or abroad). If he goes to Brighton and keeps them where they are, I'm not sure his stock really rises, except for the fact that he will have had a slightly bigger job.

I think if we'd been in Norwich or WBA's shoes, he may well have been tempted by anything approaching the Brighton job, but as things stand I think he's almost got a fee hit at the Prem, in an era where everyone knows it's really hard to stay up. I think we will stay up, and whether he goes at that point or not will depend on (a) just how well we've done, (b) whether there are signs that we are still able to go yet higher, and (c) how Man Utd are doing managerially.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:29 - May 18 with 981 viewsArnieM

Brighton sideways move? on 19:26 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

I haven't said it won't???

Just that they are the established EPL side and we're not

They’re “ established” a only because they’ve had decent money behind them. So have we now. The trajectory of improve,ent Id suggest is far great at Ipswich than Brighton. Who has the wealthier backers? Who has most potential to grow further? Who is the bigger club both now, and in the near future?

I’d be amazed if KMcK left Town at this point in time, for any other club outside the top 5.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Brighton sideways move? on 20:34 - May 18 with 950 viewsMK1

Brighton sideways move? on 20:17 - May 18 by NedPlimpton

So Ipswich is the bigger "gamble"?
Yet, you downvoted my post on a bet.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:39 - May 18 with 934 viewsBluedandy

Brighton sideways move? on 20:23 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Maybe, but he has a greater chance of having a more successful season at Brighton next season. Success for us is staying up. If he takes us into the area Brighton have been for the last couple of seasons, then I agree with you.

Do you really think he's that mercenary?

Back to back promotions and survival with Town in the Premier League would mean a lot more to McKenna than finishing say 8th with Brighton in the same division.

I can't imagine there's an owner of an elite club out there who believes he would then need to serve a further apprenticeship at the Amex.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:46 - May 18 with 909 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 20:34 - May 18 by MK1

So Ipswich is the bigger "gamble"?
Yet, you downvoted my post on a bet.

Sorry, clumsy fingers. Certainly didn't mean to
Brighton sideways move? on 20:48 - May 18 with 910 viewsPhilTWTD

Brighton sideways move? on 20:39 - May 18 by Bluedandy

Do you really think he's that mercenary?

Back to back promotions and survival with Town in the Premier League would mean a lot more to McKenna than finishing say 8th with Brighton in the same division.

I can't imagine there's an owner of an elite club out there who believes he would then need to serve a further apprenticeship at the Amex.

I don't, but I think he has his development towards managing a top club, or Man U, mapped out and potentially there will be moves along the way which will take him towards that goal. Currently, there's a greater chance of him making a splash in the Premier League next season with Brighton rather than us. That's not to say he'll go, of course, or that he might not make a mark in the Premier League with us, he might well.
Brighton sideways move? on 20:55 - May 18 with 861 viewsBluedandy

Brighton sideways move? on 20:48 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

I don't, but I think he has his development towards managing a top club, or Man U, mapped out and potentially there will be moves along the way which will take him towards that goal. Currently, there's a greater chance of him making a splash in the Premier League next season with Brighton rather than us. That's not to say he'll go, of course, or that he might not make a mark in the Premier League with us, he might well.

Unfortunately he's already made a huge splash which is why he's being linked to Man Utd and Chelsea. This debate is going round in circles.

Let's see what happens.
Brighton sideways move? on 21:02 - May 18 with 844 viewsPhilTWTD

Brighton sideways move? on 20:55 - May 18 by Bluedandy

Unfortunately he's already made a huge splash which is why he's being linked to Man Utd and Chelsea. This debate is going round in circles.

Let's see what happens.

True, but it would be a surprise if he was actually on the list of targets at Man U and Chelsea at the moment. Not often clubs of that size appoint a manager - other than a Rooney or Lampard type club legend - who hasn't taken charge of a top-flight game. Indeed, will see what happens. I'm not sure which way it will go, I'm swayed towards him staying from his comments at the end of the season.
Brighton sideways move? on 21:08 - May 18 with 797 viewsAsa

Brighton are significantly ahead of us.

In the same way that this season Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United were.

And in the same way that Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Watford were last season.

The simple fact is that we could easily be sat about Brighton in 12 months time. We could easily be a division above them.

We aren't going to be bigger than Chelsea or Man Utd any time soon or potentially ever.

So whilst what Brighton have done has been phenomenal, as with Brentford, they are one bad season or poor managerial appointment or injury crisis away from being below us in the pyramid.

That's the difference between massive clubs and clubs our size or smaller that have been above us for a few good years.
Brighton sideways move? on 21:09 - May 18 with 789 viewspointofblue

Brighton sideways move? on 21:08 - May 18 by Asa

Brighton are significantly ahead of us.

In the same way that this season Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United were.

And in the same way that Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Watford were last season.

The simple fact is that we could easily be sat about Brighton in 12 months time. We could easily be a division above them.

We aren't going to be bigger than Chelsea or Man Utd any time soon or potentially ever.

So whilst what Brighton have done has been phenomenal, as with Brentford, they are one bad season or poor managerial appointment or injury crisis away from being below us in the pyramid.

That's the difference between massive clubs and clubs our size or smaller that have been above us for a few good years.

Agreed, and I think the same could be said about any club we'll face in the league next season excluding the big six.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Brighton sideways move? on 21:30 - May 18 with 742 viewsNedPlimpton

Brighton sideways move? on 21:09 - May 18 by pointofblue

Agreed, and I think the same could be said about any club we'll face in the league next season excluding the big six.

I think there's another level of clubs that could attract a bigger manager than we could even if they had a bad season or 2 (barring relegation)

The likes of Newcatsle, Villa, West Ham, Brighton for example are all ahead of us in terms of players and managers they'd be able to attract. Which I'd imagine would mean clubs less established, like ourselves, would risk losing players/managers to them if they were to offer enough
Brighton sideways move? on 21:31 - May 18 with 729 viewsDJR

As of the end of the 2022–23 season, Brighton's first team have spent 7 seasons in the fourth tier of the English football league system, 55 in the third, 24 in the second and 10 in the top tier.

Ok, they are currently having their most successful spell ever, but who's to say how long it will last? And in terms of pedigree, trophies and history there is no comparison. And I say this as someone who spent the first seven years of my life in Hove, and would have ended up a Brighton fan had I not left.
[Post edited 18 May 21:42]
Brighton sideways move? on 21:38 - May 18 with 695 viewsAmerican_ITFC

Does Brighton have proven Prem players? Sure. Are they better set up right now for McKenna in terms of having success quicker? Perhaps. But this season they have clearly regressed and I think are due for a fall rather than an upward trajectory if you will.

I think Kieran is sincere when he talks about loving his job with Town and I don't foresee him leaving us for someone such as Brighton, who no matter how you want to slice it, is not a step up by any stretch.

Would make no sense to me and tbh I would lose a bit of respect for the guy if he left us for them. Man United sure, but Brighton? Come on.

I need a beer

Brighton sideways move? on 21:39 - May 18 with 679 viewsMercian

Villa are well ahead of Brighton. There is no player at Brighton at the standard of Watkins, Diaby, Torres or Bailey although Mitoma and Estupian would not be out of place there. Ansu Fati is establishing himself as a failed wonderkid and Ferguson is a great prospect but very raw. Brighton are well ahead of us though. I don't think any of our players would get into their team.
[Post edited 18 May 21:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024