Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. 19:18 - May 19 with 1489 viewsunstableblue

… is some years off the experience and pedigree to take these top jobs, given recent speculation around our manager

Slot is 45, so 7 years older than McKenna

He managed in the Dutch second tier

Before taking the assistant role at AZ in the top tier (which we know McKenna has done), he then became manager and took them to 2nd place in the Erevedisie, becoming the first coach ever to win 19 points in his first eight games.

This success got him the top job at Feynoord in Dec 2020. Where his record has been strong at the top of Dutch football, see below.

McKenna has some way to go, and needs top tier pedigree.

“On 15 December 2020, Feyenoord announced that the club had reached a deal with Slot for him to become the club's new coach from the start of the 2021–22 season. The deal would see Slot sign for two years, with Feyenoord having the option to extend his contract for a third year. Slot succeeded the experienced Dick Advocaat, who led the team to fifth place in the Eredivisie and qualification to the UEFA Europa Conference League Qualifiers. Slot was appointed to build a new team with a recognisable playing style. Marino Pušić (first assistant coach) and Robin van Persie (field coach) were added to his staff, while John de Wolf was retained as second assistant coach. During Slot's first season, Feyenoord reached the round of 16 in European football for the first time in twenty years, finishing ahead of Slavia Prague, Union Berlin and Maccabi Haifa in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage. In February 2022, Feyenoord used the club option to extend Slot's contract until 2024. In the knock-out stage of the Europa Conference League, the club knocked out Partizan, Slavia Prague and Marseille to reach the inaugural Europa Conference League final. Feyenoord lost the final 1–0 to Roma in Tirana and finished in third place in the Eredivisie. Slot was awarded the Rinus Michels Award for the Eredivisie Manager of the Year.

Slot and Go Ahead Eagles manager René Hake at a game in November 2023
Ahead of the 2022–23 season, Slot extended his contract at Feyenoord for a year, until 2025. Feyenoord won a UEFA Europa League group of Midtjylland, Lazio and Sturm Graz to reach the round of 16 of Europe's secondary club football tournament for a first time since 2002. In the round of 16, Feyenoord beat Shakhtar Donetsk 7–1 on 17 March 2023, Feyenoord's biggest win in European football since 1995. With the win, Slot overtook Ernst Happel and Bert van Marwijk to become the first Feyenoord manager to have won 15 matches in European football. Slot finished his second season at Feyenoord with Feyenoord winning the league, the club's first league title since 2017 and sixteenth in the club's history. Feyenoord were knocked out in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Europa League by Roma and in the semi-finals of the KNVB Cup by Ajax. In May 2023, Slot was heavily linked with the vacant manager's job at Tottenham Hotspur. By the end of the month, Slot announced he would be remaining with Feyenoord and extended his contract with a year, to mid-2026. Slot was awarded the Rinus Michels Award for Eredivisie Manager of the Year in June 2023, becoming the fourth coach to win the award for consecutive editions, after Guus Hiddink, Frank de Boer and Erik ten Hag.

In the 2023–24 season, Feyenoord got knocked out of the UEFA Champions League group stage, finishing third in a group with Atlético Madrid, Lazio and Celtic, and got knocked out by Roma for a third consecutive season, losing on penalties in the UEFA Europa League knock-out round play-offs. By managing the second leg against Roma, Slot equalled a club record of Van Marwijk of managing 36 European games. On 21 April 2024, Feyenoord beat NEC in the final to win its fourteenth KNVB Cup. Many pundits have described Arne Slot as one of the best coaches in the history of Feyenoord, as he combined results with developing players and playing attacking, attractive football.

[Post edited 19 May 20:30]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 19:43 - May 19 with 1345 viewsfarkenhell

Bloody hell mate, I got to the end of that and I feel like I have aged another 45 years!
Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 20:09 - May 19 with 1221 viewsbazza

Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 19:43 - May 19 by farkenhell

Bloody hell mate, I got to the end of that and I feel like I have aged another 45 years!

We got Top Four first season , McKenna is now at Real Madrid.
You were supposed to stop reading after pedigree!! Keep up (n/t) on 20:28 - May 19 with 1130 viewsunstableblue

Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 19:43 - May 19 by farkenhell

Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 20:29 - May 19 with 1116 viewsunstableblue

Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 20:09 - May 19 by bazza

We got Top Four first season , McKenna is now at Real Madrid.

If he does get top four next season he’s guaranteed to be leaving!!

But what a ride.

Statue incoming.

Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 21:46 - May 19 with 930 viewsbazza

Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 20:29 - May 19 by unstableblue

If he does get top four next season he’s guaranteed to be leaving!!

But what a ride.

Statue incoming.

If we finished top Four and got champions league football, I’d be fairly confident we’d get another season out of him, so burns Clarke broadhead etc.. you all know what you need to
Do !!
Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 21:52 - May 19 with 869 viewsReus30

Yeah but Dutch top division football is basically SPL standard init? And that's like maybe League 2 at best.

Slot will be out before Xmas whereas McKenna will be taking us to the top of table on boxing day
Looking at the new Liverpool manager, Arne Slot, you again realise McKenna.. on 22:36 - May 19 with 752 viewsEuropablue

Liverpool only want one syllable continental managers.
I want to agree that other clubs should stay away from McKenna because he is not qualified for the top jobs until the Ipswich job becomes the top job he'd be crazy to vacate, but you can tell when someone is special and he knows the Man Utd. way.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024