Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours 17:18 - May 20 with 15033 viewsblueasfook

It would be good if sooner rather than later the club would come out and confirm he's staying for next season. I don't think it will help our pre-season preparations if there is uncertainty around who will be the manager. I think it won't help either the current playing squad or any potential signings might be put off if they're not sure who our manager will be.

Next season is going to be a huge challenge and we need solid foundations to make the best of it. I appreciate that the club perhaps haven't had firm approaches for him so don't feel the need to comment but something to quell the rumours would be good. For the fans if nothing else.
[Post edited 20 May 17:20]

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:14 - May 20 with 1732 viewsParisBlue

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 21:12 - May 20 by pointofblue

I don't want to feel like this but I do.

Ramsey, Robson, perhaps Burley are managerial legends. McKenna would be someone who came in, took us up, then beggared off at the first opportunity.

That's why Bill McGarry is so rarely mentioned.

His thread is making me very nervous. I'd be gutted if KM left, but no-one is bigger than the club.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:33 - May 20 with 1586 viewsChurchman

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 20:55 - May 20 by portmanking

Pfffft. Nah, if he goes, feck him. It'll just prove there's no loyalty in the game anymore. What's the sodding point.

He and the players have worked their asses off for 24 months for this specific goal. And now he's abandoning ship before even finishing the job.

If this genuinely goes through, for me he'll be considered a top manager in our history but he'll have lost out on the chance to be considered a true legend. And for what? A team that's probably already reached the ceiling of its potential? Do me a fecking favour, Kieran.

Rant over.

Great post Absolutely agree. A few further thoughts:

It is easy to forget the achievement of this club in the last three years isn’t just McKenna’s. He’s part of a club effort, albeit a crucial part.

If he decides to toddle off, so be it. The club, its owners, senior management are much more important than people are giving them credit for.

McKenna is relatively new to management. There is no certainty that he will succeed at PL level. Many a good manager couldn’t cope at that level, including McCarthy.

KM is always going to move on at some point should success continue. His choice. Our club will continue, but in a far stronger place than even a year ago.

I’ve listened and read the arguments around why McKenna might go to 11th finish Brighton who have just lost a manager because they wouldn’t give him enough transfer money. Championship Ipswich, the attraction stacks up. PL Ipswich it doesn’t. Not to me anyway.

Hearing Brighton presented as a kind of Barcelona is ludicrous. I don’t agree that they’re five years ahead of us either. We were meant to settle in the Championship for a few years before having a go for promotion. That aged well.

I only want people at the club who want to be here. If KM wants away, fine. See you later. It’s no different to any walk of life. I only wanted people working with me that wanted to be there. Commitment and loyalty. Nothing else works for me.

All I ask of McKenna is that he makes his decision quickly and announces it. It’s a straight choice. If I was Ashton it’d be a very short conversation. Do you want to carry on with what we’ve started. Yes or no. If the answer is not sure or no, it’s a parting of the ways.

The club is bigger and more important than McKenna. If he goes so be it. Once again we will be offering a job most managers will crawl over glass for, unlike three years ago. Hopefully Ashton will have done his succession planning.

Finally, a little bit of history. At the end of 1968 Bill McGarry decided to leave newly promoted Ipswich for Wolves. It was too good a job to turn down. Bigger more prestigious club with greater potential.

McGarry was replaced by a recently sacked, inexperienced manager called Bobby Robson. McGarry later regretted leaving Ipswich for Wolves but he’d moved on and so had we. Should McKenna scuttle off to Brighton, whose to say history might not repeat itself?

Just a view. And don’t forget it’s all speculation - the very thing MA warned against.
[Post edited 20 May 22:35]
The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:44 - May 20 with 1462 viewsElderGrizzly

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:33 - May 20 by Churchman

It is easy to forget the achievement of this club in the last three years isn’t just McKenna’s. He’s part of a club effort, albeit a crucial part.

If he decides to toddle off, so be it. The club, its owners, senior management are much more important than people are giving them credit for.

McKenna is relatively new to management. There is no certainty that he will succeed at PL level. Many a good manager couldn’t cope at that level, including McCarthy.

KM is always going to move on at some point should success continue. His choice. Our club will continue, but in a far stronger place than even a year ago.

I’ve listened and read the arguments around why McKenna might go to 11th finish Brighton who have just lost a manager because they wouldn’t give him enough transfer money. Championship Ipswich, the attraction stacks up. PL Ipswich it doesn’t. Not to me anyway.

Hearing Brighton presented as a kind of Barcelona is ludicrous. I don’t agree that they’re five years ahead of us either. We were meant to settle in the Championship for a few years before having a go for promotion. That aged well.

I only want people at the club who want to be here. If KM wants away, fine. See you later. It’s no different to any walk of life. I only wanted people working with me that wanted to be there. Commitment and loyalty. Nothing else works for me.

All I ask of McKenna is that he makes his decision quickly and announces it. It’s a straight choice. If I was Ashton it’d be a very short conversation. Do you want to carry on with what we’ve started. Yes or no. If the answer is not sure or no, it’s a parting of the ways.

The club is bigger and more important than McKenna. If he goes so be it. Once again we will be offering a job most managers will crawl over glass for, unlike three years ago. Hopefully Ashton will have done his succession planning.

Finally, a little bit of history. At the end of 1968 Bill McGarry decided to leave newly promoted Ipswich for Wolves. It was too good a job to turn down. Bigger more prestigious club with greater potential.

McGarry was replaced by a recently sacked, inexperienced manager called Bobby Robson. McGarry later regretted leaving Ipswich for Wolves but he’d moved on and so had we. Should McKenna scuttle off to Brighton, whose to say history might not repeat itself?

Just a view. And don’t forget it’s all speculation - the very thing MA warned against.

You can be sure Ashton already knows who will replace McKenna.

That’s the difference between the Evans days and now.

Gutted if McKenna does leave, but entirely trust Ashton to get it right
The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:48 - May 20 with 1391 viewspointofblue

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:44 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

In fairness to Evans, he usually had a replacement lined up. Keane was sorted before Jim was sacked; Jewell before Keane. I think Hurst was sorted quite quickly after Shrewsbury's play off defeat, Lambert and Cook likewise.

The only useful manager hired by him was the only one who took time to get through the door.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:49 - May 20 with 1373 viewsPique

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:33 - May 20 by Churchman

Excellent, sensible post.
The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:55 - May 20 with 1282 viewsChurchman

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:44 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

I’d be very surprised if Ashton and the band don’t have a successor(s) identified too. I’d put money on it that he does and I don’t gamble! You are right re the Evans regime. We are a totally different club in a different place now. Hard to get my head round it, but it’s true.

If he leaves, I’ll be more disappointed than ‘gutted’ if he leaves for a mid size club like Brighton. Disappointed for ITFC because it’s a knock back/upheaval it doesn’t need. But it will move on. Three years ago I’d never heard of McKenna. My biggest disappointment, should he go there, will be in him as much as anything else.
Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours on 07:55 - May 21 with 885 viewsFunge

Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours on 21:17 - May 20 by ArnoldMoorhen

It would make more sense for Brighton to appoint Edwards, in my opinion, as he knows the division already.

Kieran would be coming in cold to the club structures, squad and division.

If the worst were to happen then Edwards would be an exceptional replacement. Schumacher would be solid, and I'll throw in bonkers Carlos from WBA just for the lols he would give us. He is tactically very sharp.

Disagree with your replacements.

Edwards' football is effective, but ugly - and saw a limited Luton squad never really threaten to stay up, even when factoring in Everton and Forest points deductions.

Schumacher massively underwhelming with a load of Stoke primadonnas; he just about kept them up in a Championship where the entire bottom half were absolute drek.

Corberan, again, pretty underwhelming - WBA 5th all season with parachute payments, and, like the budgies, took the attitude that the best way to win the playoffs was to play for penalties.

I quite like Rosenior; Hull play decent football and I think he was pretty hard done by there.

Hopefully it's all irrelevant anyway.
The TalkSport bloke had it... on 08:17 - May 21 with 820 viewsMattinLondon

Pfffft. Nah, if he goes, feck him. It'll just prove there's no loyalty in the game anymore. What's the sodding point.

He and the players have worked their asses off for 24 months for this specific goal. And now he's abandoning ship before even finishing the job.

If this genuinely goes through, for me he'll be considered a top manager in our history but he'll have lost out on the chance to be considered a true legend. And for what? A team that's probably already reached the ceiling of its potential? Do me a fecking favour, Kieran.

Rant over.

Your first paragraph is complete rubbish. If KM had come here and lost his first ten matches then the chants would have been McKenna out.

Fans demand loyalty but very rarely afford it to players or managers having a bad spell.
Login to get fewer ads

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 09:36 - May 21 with 714 viewsRyorry

The TalkSport bloke had it... on 22:14 - May 20 by ParisBlue

That's why Bill McGarry is so rarely mentioned.

His thread is making me very nervous. I'd be gutted if KM left, but no-one is bigger than the club.

Sorry, fat- finger, abuse NOT reported

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours on 10:15 - May 21 with 628 viewsRyorry

Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours on 20:30 - May 20 by Swailsey

Sadly have a read of Phil’s thoughts..

People are reading so much into a few words which have inherent wriggle room.

“increasingly likely” can mean KM’s about 10% of the way towards leaving us for Brighton, or 90%.

I prefer to believe 10%. Anyone feeling that makes me‘delusional’ is free to do so if it relieves their stress and makes them feel better.

Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours on 10:26 - May 21 with 577 viewsMattinLondon

Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours on 10:15 - May 21 by Ryorry

People are reading so much into a few words which have inherent wriggle room.

“increasingly likely” can mean KM’s about 10% of the way towards leaving us for Brighton, or 90%.

I prefer to believe 10%. Anyone feeling that makes me‘delusional’ is free to do so if it relieves their stress and makes them feel better.

Maybe Phil is just trolling us in revenge for all of the pointless arguments he has been forced to intervene in.
Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours on 10:29 - May 21 with 549 viewsRyorry

Just a thought on the KM speculation and rumours on 10:26 - May 21 by MattinLondon

Maybe Phil is just trolling us in revenge for all of the pointless arguments he has been forced to intervene in.

Hah! And who could blame him!

That's purely because.... on 11:01 - May 21 with 494 viewsPhilTWTD

That's purely because.... on 20:51 - May 20 by GlasgowBlue

And ignored Sir Bobby's recommendation of Alex Fergusson.

Not sure that's true. A quiet word was had with Alex F and he said it was too early for him to make the move to England.
The TalkSport bloke had it... on 11:10 - May 21 with 436 viewsCrawfordsboot

Rant over.

Your first paragraph is rubbish. Look back over the past 20 years and check how many of our managers were fired by the club rather than left of their own accord. There is very little, or almost no, loyalty from clubs towards managers.

McKenna and his team have done a great job for the club. They have transformed the atmosphere and given us back our pride and dignity as a club. I am grateful for that.

Our manager has a family and has personal ambitions in his life. His first priority is to them. He might well be happy here and appreciative of our executive management but inevitably if he gets the right attractive offer to further advance his career he will take it and rightly so.

The rest is just noise.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024