Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do managerial payoffs work? 08:00 - May 21 with 537 viewsZx1988

Say a club wanted to sign a sacked and unemployed manager who was still within their original contract period with their previous employer and, as such, seemingly still subject to their payoff.

Would signing for a new club void the entirety of the remaining payoff, meaning that the club would most likely be expected to make up the shortfall?

Or would the remaining payoff be reduced in line with the value of the new contract?

(edited for clarity)
[Post edited 21 May 8:04]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:02 - May 21 with 514 viewsHerbivore

If McKenna is the one choosing to leave and thus wanting to break the contract, I'd be surprised if we've agreed to an arrangement where his contract still gets paid up. I imagine, at most, he might have negotiated a percentage of the buyout any club wanting to appoint him will have to pay.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:04 - May 21 with 492 viewsZx1988

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:02 - May 21 by Herbivore

If McKenna is the one choosing to leave and thus wanting to break the contract, I'd be surprised if we've agreed to an arrangement where his contract still gets paid up. I imagine, at most, he might have negotiated a percentage of the buyout any club wanting to appoint him will have to pay.

Sorry - poor wording from me, which I've edited.

I was thinking more along the lines of a club wanting to sign Graham Potter.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:08 - May 21 with 470 viewsHerbivore

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:04 - May 21 by Zx1988

Ah, gotcha. Without knowing for certain, I'd imagine that if they were given a lump sum (which is probably most common) there's no conditions attached to it. If they are still on the pay roll (which I'd imagine is less common) then presumably that would cease when they find a new job.

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:13 - May 21 with 436 viewsBondiBlue

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:08 - May 21 by Herbivore

Ah, gotcha. Without knowing for certain, I'd imagine that if they were given a lump sum (which is probably most common) there's no conditions attached to it. If they are still on the pay roll (which I'd imagine is less common) then presumably that would cease when they find a new job.

If they are still on the payroll, the new club would have to get pretty close to his salary at his previous club to make it worth his while taking the job. Potter's last club was chelsea and i think his contract was a long one, meaning we'll struggle.

Poll: Which would you accept?

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:18 - May 21 with 414 viewsbluelagos

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:04 - May 21 by Zx1988

So a manager who is sacked there are a couple of possibilities.

One is the club and manager agrees an amount, pays them that and they are good to go wherever. That can happen at any point after they have left.

The other is that they are effectively still employed and paid, albeit they are not working. if they then opted to take another job, they would be effectively breaking and thus terminating that employment contract.

In reality what usually happens is a negotiated compromise, say you have 3 years left on a contract, have been sacked but then want to take on a new job, the club and manager might agree on a 1 year payoff as it's in both parties interests.

So the short answer is it depends on the individual circumstances but that a sacked manager will usually come to an agreement if it is in their interests.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:18 - May 21 with 404 viewsHerbivore

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:13 - May 21 by BondiBlue

If they are still on the payroll, the new club would have to get pretty close to his salary at his previous club to make it worth his while taking the job. Potter's last club was chelsea and i think his contract was a long one, meaning we'll struggle.

Rather depends on his priorities and indeed whether Chelsea are still paying him or he got a lump sum. I suspect he's not made a return mainly because there's not been a job that appeals to him yet rather than because he's choosing to sit on the shelf for financial reasons. It'd be a stretch for us to get someone like Potter anyway, his stock is still high enough that a solid middling Prem team would take him.

How do managerial payoffs work? on 09:12 - May 21 with 289 viewsBondiBlue

How do managerial payoffs work? on 08:18 - May 21 by Herbivore

Rather depends on his priorities and indeed whether Chelsea are still paying him or he got a lump sum. I suspect he's not made a return mainly because there's not been a job that appeals to him yet rather than because he's choosing to sit on the shelf for financial reasons. It'd be a stretch for us to get someone like Potter anyway, his stock is still high enough that a solid middling Prem team would take him.

There are very few of those (currently) looking for managers though. Just one actually.

Poll: Which would you accept?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024