Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unstable Match Report 17:39 - Jan 14 with 601 viewsunstableblue

Well well well....

What do we require as ipswich fans, and did we receive them today?:

Excitement - yes
Attacking and chances - yes
Energy - yes (but with some doldrums)

Me and my mate left tonight enthused and entertained.

A great day for football, crisp and bright, and the skies turned beautifully above the Pioneer as dusk fell.

Chambo had been quite impassioned on the radio as we drove towards the temple, complaining of the fans criticism and treatment of Douglas. In my mind this was somewhat unfair - give the fans a bit more quality and less mistakes and we will react positively. And today the fans did - some great singing and backing second half just when the team needed them.

I think four players stood out Bru, skuse, dozzell and Lawrence. With the latter a different class. Is our Leicester loanee the form player of the league? Absolutely. Are we too realiant on him - definitely. Such a shame Sears didn't score, with quite a few good chances. Bru himself was mainly hidden, but the work rate and more controlled passing showed why he can own that middle spot. Skuse showed today why anonymous performances mean Ipswich don't function. Today he grabbed the game a few times, showed some real energy and endeavour, and some more dynamic running. We need that every week.

Blackburn we're not as poor as expected, but were good opposition for us today. In the first half their shape was better than ours and had more options, they really prospered on our left as Berra and Knudsen struggled with 3-4-2-1 formation. Indeed Knudsen had a terrible first half with his confidence shot. I thought he really improved second half. Well done to him.

Lincoln is actually a good game in some ways to keep testing this new formation prior to some really tough games. But yet again we did really rely on Bart to keep Blackburn from going 2-1, with a cracking save. With the away team having equalised following a Berra howler. Great Berra redeemed himself.

So to Lawrence, wow! He is just total class on the ball. But do you know what Dozzell showed flourishes too. He can be a great player, he ghosted around. And there was a point when he and Lawrence starts clicking and it was exciting.

Emmnanuel grew into the game, and if we need to play 5 at the back to enable chambo to play as well as our young right back - then so be it.

So plenty of flaws and we made it harder for ourselves, but we were entertained. And that is what we need to build the crowds back up from 15k even with a ticket promotion.

COYB

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I should add about Mick and Chambo... on 22:00 - Jan 14 with 420 viewsunstableblue

Mick has taken a lot of abuse and indeed the group near me in the Norh stand upper abused him throughout the game... but his line up today seemed to defy he characterisation of Mick as a Luddite. No big striker up front - perhaps as he didn't have one - Sears line and small, dozzell and Lawrence behind him. It was quite radical. AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT - there was virtually no long ball, and indeed Bart had clearly been encouraged to throw! Yes there were many times when that didn't quite work - it overall it was a success and should remain as a tactic.

Well done Mick.

As for our captain, he was firing up the team today. Berra was kicking himself for the error today, and Chambo was rally building him up - and in the end he scored! Well done captain.

We are still miles away from true progression, but a run of this system, dozzell prgression, bru ascendency - who knows?!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024