Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Springsteen 19:42 - Jan 20 with 1412 viewsuefacup81

So on my way to/from work this week I've been listening to/deafening myself and others with Springsteen's greatest hits album.

Is there a better/more evocative driving album out there?!

There I am pootling down the A11 towards Wymondham when the saxophone 'outro' in Thunder Road kicks in. Suddenly I'm not on a potholed stretch of dodgy British trunk road any more. In fact I'm sat in the driving seat of a 1957 Chevy convertible, cruising towards the sunset on an arrow-straight American highway, chasing the American Dream with the wind in my hair.

It's an odd one, because when you take the time to listen to the lyrics this All American Hero is singing about closed down factories, 'towns full of losers', and death-traps - a far cry from the world which 'they' would have you believe is within the grasp of each and every American man, woman, and child.

"You spend your life waiting for a moment that just don't come."

It's weird that songs with such dark and defeatist lyrics, and a message of struggle, can be so evocative and uplifting!

Anyway - sorry for the random stream of consciousness... here's some music!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Springsteen on 19:46 - Jan 20 with 1391 viewsfeelingblue

The Boss is the Boss.

The greatest long career songbook of the lot. Neil Young number 2, name your own no 3.
Springsteen on 19:59 - Jan 20 with 1362 viewspennyfathersleg

The tattoo on my arm says it all 'Born to Run'

There's no one and never will be someone like the boss ever!
Springsteen on 20:00 - Jan 20 with 1353 viewsSwansea_Blue

See him live if you haven't while you can. He still puts on one of the best (if not the best) gigs out there.

His music always has a surge in popularity during hard times apparently; that familiarity of shattered hopes and dreams.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Springsteen on 20:04 - Jan 20 with 1339 viewsgordon

When I hear a bit of Springsteen it transports me to the A505 between Hitchin and Baldock.
Springsteen on 20:05 - Jan 20 with 1332 viewsBlueorder

Springsteen on 19:46 - Jan 20 by feelingblue

The Boss is the Boss.

The greatest long career songbook of the lot. Neil Young number 2, name your own no 3.

Springsteen's ok BUT he's not a path on Jackson Browne.
Springsteen on 20:30 - Jan 20 with 1310 viewsGlasgowBlue

I;ve always thought that Thunder Road was the best Jim Steinman song that Jim Steinman never wrote.

Maybe it's Roy Britain's piano but that song would be so at home on Bat out of Hell.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Springsteen on 23:37 - Jan 20 with 1180 viewsfeelingblue

Springsteen on 20:05 - Jan 20 by Blueorder

Springsteen's ok BUT he's not a path on Jackson Browne.

Jackson Browne would be my number 3....
Springsteen on 23:45 - Jan 20 with 1172 viewsTIB

The Boss is boss. "I'm On Fire" one of my all time favourite songs.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Login to get fewer ads

Springsteen on 01:33 - Jan 21 with 1123 viewsmos

My favourite artist, saw him at Wembley and went to Horsens, in Denmark to see him live.

Legendary.

Get the feeling a lot of his songs are about running away,
Thunder Road,
Born to run,
Hungry Heart,
Death to my hometown,
No Surrender, to name a few.

Anyways, he's awesome.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Springsteen on 05:20 - Jan 21 with 1070 viewsLord_Lucan

Springsteen on 19:46 - Jan 20 by feelingblue

The Boss is the Boss.

I have completely ignored Springsteen and probably at my peril. I thought The River was fantastic but then he got a bit American rocky and and it put me off. I have been told though that his concerts are something else - three hours and so. Respect. Neil Young? One of my top of the pops artists but also the biggest pile of sh1te k have seen live. Big oil? Big bank balance. Feck you Neil.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Springsteen on 07:41 - Jan 21 with 1034 viewsBenters

Johnny Cash is the man (or was).

At the mo i find myself listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival,The Band,America and loads of late 60's and 70's music.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 7:46]

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Springsteen on 19:04 - Jan 21 with 918 viewsfeelingblue

Springsteen on 07:41 - Jan 21 by Benters

Johnny Cash is the man (or was).

At the mo i find myself listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival,The Band,America and loads of late 60's and 70's music.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 7:46]

Creedence, a fine band. Also staggeringly popular at the time. They outsold the Beatles for a couple of years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024