Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think I've fallen out of love with football 10:20 - Feb 5 with 2195 viewsMJallday

These days I just don't seem to care. I can't get excited about the national team, the premier league is so full of money it's unbelievable, town are stuck in perpetual mediocreness

Anyone else feeling like this or is it just me turning into victor meldrew?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:25 - Feb 5 with 1765 viewsWD19

You and millions others.
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:25 - Feb 5 with 1765 viewsBadgerBajner

Same here.
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:26 - Feb 5 with 1761 viewsclive_baker

Just you.

No, I know what you mean. It might not be football you're going off, maybe just the 'product' we have rammed down our throats 24/7. The Premier League isn't of much interest to me, I couldn't care less about who wins it. Maybe get to a grass roots match, it might help give you your zest for football back. Certainly Ipswich's averageness of the last 15 years probably doesn't help.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:29 - Feb 5 with 1736 viewsDolly2.0

I thought I was. But yesterday I cared. Maybe it's because the players seemed to.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:36 - Feb 5 with 1710 viewsstrikalite

Loads of empty seats throughout the football league if you watch the highlights, Clubs like Port Vale and Notts County to name just two must be on their knees because they're empty....fans have lost interest where's there is no hope..

I like the Championship myself, very competitive and a lot of big Clubs still dreaming of the big time once more, football is all about the dream, you don't ever want the dream to come true really because then what? Be like Stoke or West Brom? No ta..
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:37 - Feb 5 with 1700 viewsBlueBadger

Non league is the way to go. Old fashioned terraces, genuine banter between crowd, players and officials, easier on the wallet and never any bother from opposition fans.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:38 - Feb 5 with 1692 viewsBenters

Yes sort of .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:47 - Feb 5 with 1660 viewsstrikalite

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:37 - Feb 5 by BlueBadger

Non league is the way to go. Old fashioned terraces, genuine banter between crowd, players and officials, easier on the wallet and never any bother from opposition fans.

Agree with that, you don't take it so seriously(which helps when its only a few quid to watch)and it's still really competitive and it really doesn't matter if the quality isn't so good, you get good banter around you too...

Also there is no stress, unlike Town where because you love them it matters so much more..
Login to get fewer ads

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:52 - Feb 5 with 1632 viewsBlueBadger

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:47 - Feb 5 by strikalite

Agree with that, you don't take it so seriously(which helps when its only a few quid to watch)and it's still really competitive and it really doesn't matter if the quality isn't so good, you get good banter around you too...

Also there is no stress, unlike Town where because you love them it matters so much more..

I dunno about the stress bit, there's a fair few hardcores at eery club that REALLY get into it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:01 - Feb 5 with 1598 viewsgordon

I think football across the top two divisions is screwed in this country - what will it be like in 20 years? 40 years?

The FA and the Premier League should have done more in 90s to prevent clubs running at enormous losses - there's nothing that can be done now, there's no way the owners will accept stricter financial rules,in the Prem or Championship. And so either clubs like Ipswich have to hope for either a billionaire investor, or accept that our level is now towards the bottom of the championship or even League One.

The well-run club that breaks even or turns a small profit, invests in the youth team, buys up young talent, and has a good presence in the community is a thing of the past, except perhaps lower down the leagues, where money isn't being splashed about to the same extent.

With the way things are now, 30 or so teams making large investments and expecting success/top flight football, it'll perhaps become necessary to have a Premiership II and reduced Promotion/Relegation to/from the football league, to protect those not quite top clubs who are still making massive investments - as it is, the likes of Forest, Wednesday, Wolves, QPR etc are surely in very risky positions financially, though the fact that they invest large sums is attractive to fans of clubs like us, no doubt.
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:10 - Feb 5 with 1575 viewsfactual_blue

Depends. Have you written a letter to your local newspaper about refuse collection?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:27 - Feb 5 with 1525 viewscruncher

Not after yesterday it seemed like a new team.
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:36 - Feb 5 with 1497 viewsFtnfwest

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:27 - Feb 5 by cruncher

Not after yesterday it seemed like a new team.

Half of it was!
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:44 - Feb 5 with 1462 viewscruncher

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:36 - Feb 5 by Ftnfwest

Half of it was!

Yep
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:52 - Feb 5 with 1449 viewsLankHenners

The lower down the pyramid you go, the "better" the football. We live in a football society where Transfer Deadline Day has replaced the FA Cup Final as the highlight in the football calendar, where "and who's your Premier League team?" is a question asked without irony, where watching edited clips on youtube makes people believe they have football omniscience.

I barely muster up the motivation to watch Match of the Day these days. What happens in the Premier League just doesn't interest me - there's no honesty in the game. It's all greed and who can spend the most. Leicester last year was brilliant: there's nothing better than an upsetting of the apple cart. However, this year goes to show that teams like them finding success is not sustainable as they just get blown out of the water again.

It's infecting the Championship - 'proper' football clubs find it more and more difficult to compete against teams flaunting toothless FFP rules and players that only a few years ago would cost a few million maximum are now going for £8/9+ million at the lower end of the scale. It's just nauseating.

Not quite as nauseating as the self-generating hype machine of Sky Sports that brainwashes people into believing that the Premier League is 'The Best League in the World' when in reality it's killed top level football as a competition, and it threatens to do the same to the Championship. I occasionally watch some PL football on a Now TV day/weekend pass out of 'know thy enemy' and all that and all I seem to do is end up confirming what I thought - all the spirit of the game has been sucked out and we're left with watching two grossly bloated teams cancelling each other out whilst Sky have to justify the showing as "one for the purists" to further give their viewers some sort of deluded belief that they are all knowing.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:07 - Feb 5 with 1396 viewsstrikalite

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:52 - Feb 5 by BlueBadger

I dunno about the stress bit, there's a fair few hardcores at eery club that REALLY get into it.

Oh yeah there is no doubt, I'm really talking about someone switching from Town for example to Bury Town, for me they'd be no stress because I only feel that for Town, you could therefore just enjoy Bury for what it is.....a competitive game and only a few quid.
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:12 - Feb 5 with 1376 viewsMJallday

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:26 - Feb 5 by clive_baker

Just you.

No, I know what you mean. It might not be football you're going off, maybe just the 'product' we have rammed down our throats 24/7. The Premier League isn't of much interest to me, I couldn't care less about who wins it. Maybe get to a grass roots match, it might help give you your zest for football back. Certainly Ipswich's averageness of the last 15 years probably doesn't help.

Interesting you should say that. I've been to Hereford a couple of times and I'm within a stones throw of Westfields who got a decent way through the fa cup this year

The passion at the grounds in lower leagues is how I remember itfc in the late 80s early 90s

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:24 - Feb 5 with 1348 viewstaximan

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 10:37 - Feb 5 by BlueBadger

"bother from opposition fans" ?

have you not been to a game for 25 years or something ?
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:27 - Feb 5 with 1337 viewsBenters

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:24 - Feb 5 by taximan

"bother from opposition fans" ?

have you not been to a game for 25 years or something ?

should have gone to specsavers taxers..

Gentlybentley

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:30 - Feb 5 with 1313 viewstaximan

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:27 - Feb 5 by Benters

should have gone to specsavers taxers..

pardon ?
I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:32 - Feb 5 with 1314 viewsDolly2.0

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 11:52 - Feb 5 by LankHenners

The lower down the pyramid you go, the "better" the football. We live in a football society where Transfer Deadline Day has replaced the FA Cup Final as the highlight in the football calendar, where "and who's your Premier League team?" is a question asked without irony, where watching edited clips on youtube makes people believe they have football omniscience.

I barely muster up the motivation to watch Match of the Day these days. What happens in the Premier League just doesn't interest me - there's no honesty in the game. It's all greed and who can spend the most. Leicester last year was brilliant: there's nothing better than an upsetting of the apple cart. However, this year goes to show that teams like them finding success is not sustainable as they just get blown out of the water again.

It's infecting the Championship - 'proper' football clubs find it more and more difficult to compete against teams flaunting toothless FFP rules and players that only a few years ago would cost a few million maximum are now going for £8/9+ million at the lower end of the scale. It's just nauseating.

Not quite as nauseating as the self-generating hype machine of Sky Sports that brainwashes people into believing that the Premier League is 'The Best League in the World' when in reality it's killed top level football as a competition, and it threatens to do the same to the Championship. I occasionally watch some PL football on a Now TV day/weekend pass out of 'know thy enemy' and all that and all I seem to do is end up confirming what I thought - all the spirit of the game has been sucked out and we're left with watching two grossly bloated teams cancelling each other out whilst Sky have to justify the showing as "one for the purists" to further give their viewers some sort of deluded belief that they are all knowing.

I get what you're saying about the money aspect but I think "killing football" and "cancelling each other out" is overstating things somewhat. I really enjoyed match of the day last night. That Everton v Bournemouth 6-3 was cracking entertainment.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:34 - Feb 5 with 1300 viewsBenters

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:30 - Feb 5 by taximan

pardon ?

Yeah they do hearing aids also ....

Gentlybentley

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:42 - Feb 5 with 1269 viewsLankHenners

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 12:32 - Feb 5 by Dolly2.0

I get what you're saying about the money aspect but I think "killing football" and "cancelling each other out" is overstating things somewhat. I really enjoyed match of the day last night. That Everton v Bournemouth 6-3 was cracking entertainment.

Of course the odd individual game will be a good watch, and that will come with games like Everton vs Bournemouth, but I was referring more to the games that Sky tend to show and hype up as 'the best of football' that tend to be dull, or at least nowhere near the amount of hype they get given. It can be good to watch on occasion, and of course not every football match is full of attacking every 30 seconds, but there's nothing that says "best league in the world" to me.

"killing football" is more about that over the past decade or so you could comfortably predict which teams would finish in the top 4 in the PL every year, whereas the Championship would largely be a different story, with several exciting/interesting games each week. Now it's just so geared up to support the teams who spend all the money they don't have. The TV money that gets given out is a mockery on the game.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 13:29 - Feb 5 with 1177 viewsLord_Lucan

Same same.

I genuinely hate it when I'm not working and I have to go. I don't know who half of the team is, I don't know who we own and who's on loan. I haven't got a bloody clue. I feel so sorry for people like Rommy. At least old farts like me can reminisce.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 13:36 - Feb 5 with 1151 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think I've fallen out of love with football on 13:29 - Feb 5 by Lord_Lucan

Same same.

I genuinely hate it when I'm not working and I have to go. I don't know who half of the team is, I don't know who we own and who's on loan. I haven't got a bloody clue. I feel so sorry for people like Rommy. At least old farts like me can reminisce.

Nail on head regarding the loans.

It wasn't a problem when we had one or two to compliment the team but now there is a total disconnect between the fans and the team. We are watching a group of players wearing an Ipswich shirt rather than watching an Ipswich team.

This has been a big feature of the Marcus Evans years. It peaked under Jewell, Mick brought it under control but now, with the lack of spending, we are going down that route again.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024